News Time Crystals May Unlock the Quantum Equivalent of RAM

Blatantruth

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013
If we can make a working quantum buffer capable of holding one half of an entangled pair, we can send messages across light hours and get around the light speed barrier. All you need to do is either leave your local half alone or break the entanglement just before it's twin arrives at the far point. Even if you are stuck with a binary entangled or not entangled for the arriving bit, having instantaneous communication is worth the pain of setting it up. Your quantumly entangled carrier signal still needs to make the journey the long way, but your information can be transmitted in just the last few meters of that journey, giving you one hell of an effective ping.

If we can make a working quantum buffer capable of holding one half of an entangled pair, we can send messages across light hours and get around the light speed barrier. All you need to do is either leave your local half alone or break the entanglement just before it's twin arrives at the far point. Even if you are stuck with a binary entangled or not entangled for the arriving bit, having instantaneous communication is worth the pain of setting it up. Your quantumly entangled carrier signal still needs to make the journey the long way, but your information can be transmitted in just the last few meters of that journey, giving you one hell of an effective ping.
I was thinking the same thing.

:neutral:

Reactions: Blatantruth

8924th

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017

Creating entangled pairs isn't the problem, but rather that there's not much you can do using them because while observing the state of one can guarantee the state of another, it also un-entangles them and they no longer stay in lockstep with each other.

Mass Effect may have made us think that, "hey, why are we not using this technology ourselves, we can literally also entangle pairs!" but the very premise is flawed due to the destructive nature of observation collapsing the wave function and breaking the bond.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

peterf28

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013
This will fill the memory with data from the future. You will have data/solution before you actually run the computation. Crazy.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
I like how future tech names are sounding more and more like something from Destiny / Halo / Mass Effect / (insert your favourite futuristic Sci-Fi franchise here)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Quantum entanglement/teleportation still doesn't allow for faster-than-light communication. This is a common misconception.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Quantum entanglement/teleportation still doesn't allow for faster-than-light communication. This is a common misconception.

I have been told this many times by people much smarter than I am. It is a result of the so called Observer Effect in physics - which is sometimes confused with the Uncertainty Principle. I get that... But then how is it that we can have entangled quantum particles as a key component to quantum computers from which we read values? From my limited understanding they are using either entangled particles or quantum teleportation of particles in order the read the resulting values from a quantum "computation". Wouldn't a faster than light communication device using entangled particles be a much simplified (although vastly spread apart) version of a quantum computer with a count of just a couple of "useful" qubit pairs? What am I missing?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I have been told this many times by people much smarter than I am. It is a result of the so called Observer Effect in physics - which is sometimes confused with the Uncertainty Principle. I get that... But then how is it that we can have entangled quantum particles as a key component to quantum computers from which we read values? From my limited understanding they are using either entangled particles or quantum teleportation of particles in order the read the resulting values from a quantum "computation". Wouldn't a faster than light communication device using entangled particles be a much simplified (although vastly spread apart) version of a quantum computer with a count of just a couple of "useful" qubit pairs? What am I missing?
I'm far from an expert myself. But from my very limited understanding, the crux of the issue is that you can't force an entangled particle to take a certain value without breaking the entanglement. For a quantum computation, you're simply reading out the results of the computation. But to communicate, you need the ability to dictate the values the qubits take, but that cannot be done without breaking entanglement.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I'm far from an expert myself. But from my very limited understanding, the crux of the issue is that you can't force an entangled particle to take a certain value without breaking the entanglement. For a quantum computation, you're simply reading out the results of the computation. But to communicate, you need the ability to dictate the values the qubits take, but that cannot be done without breaking entanglement.
Ah, a subtle but important distinction - Thank you!