Question Time for a UPS upgrade... need experienced advice.

Sep 18, 2020
So in 2015 I bought THIS UPS. It's served me pretty well for the last 5 years (I did have to replace the batteries this year), but it's time to upgrade. This time, I require sinewave power, not simulated sine, and I also have higher power requirements. Before, I was backing up:

PC, single LED lamp, single 23" 1080p monitor.

Now, I'm backing up:

PC (avg 100w)
single LED lamp (6.5W)
2x 23" 1080p monitor (30w total)
1x 43" 4K TV (monitor) (40w)
2x Yamaha HS8 (240w total)
Interface rig (30w)
Modem & router (about 30w)

That's a total of ~476.5W (if I'm in the middle of a mixing session) that will need about 10min of runtime minimum during a power outage.

So, keeping my current setup in mind (including my rack) and leaving room for future expansion/other stuff that may need that sweet sinewave backup, I'm looking at this.

My question for the enterprise experienced: is this a decent bang for the buck unit? It looks like it to me, but tbh, when it comes to UPS technology I'm fairly ignorant.

Last edited by a moderator:
- Never had any experience with CyberPower, but used a few smaller TrippLite, APC, and Eaton devices. They are usually more expensive than what you have linked which by itself is not a technical characteristic but gives a clue.

Here are some tips:
  • The pure sine wave is the least harmful way to run AC devices off of batteries, so that's a "Yes" if it actually does work as advertised - look for an oscilloscope screenshot when running off the battery for the model you want to buy - there are many cheaters on the market and pure sinus wave inverter is not cheap to produce.
  • Check switching times - some systems do not switch over fast enough, you look for 1/2 wave failover time (8-10ms at the most, depends on your AC frequency) with the fewer being the better. Otherwise, some devices may crash before the battery even kicks in.
  • Check power ratings in Watts, and VA, the latter is capacity and the first is performance.
  • Usually, a larger device is better than two smaller devices, but "usually" does not mean "always"