Question Time to upgrade my motherboard?

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
I've been using a ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING motherboard for nearly 4 years now, and I've been wondering if I should replace it soon, since I'm planning on changing my old PC cabinet. So would it make sense to change it along with to future proof the PC?

Lutfij

Titan
In order to answer that question, we're going to need a little more context. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

Often times the more important parts to replace or swap or upgrade is usually the PSU, storage, ram and or GPU. To also ask, why do you think the board is what needs changing of all the parts in your build? Something on the platform feels sluggish or slow?

future proof the PC?
Always makes me smile when people suggest random pre-emptive upgrades to future proof their PC. One assumes by 'cabinet' you mean case, how big is this PC?

As @lutfi suggests, we need to know more about your PC and current situation. It sounds like what you are saying is you want to change your old PC case, as you have to rebuild the machine anyway, should you get a more recent motherboard so you don't have to rebuild again for some time.

I would only upgrade the board if you intended to upgrade the CPU as well to say a Ryzen 9 5900X or you desperately wanted PCI-E 4.0. It's a pretty good B450 board, no need to upgrade if your happy with your current setup.

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
In order to answer that question, we're going to need a little more context. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

Often times the more important parts to replace or swap or upgrade is usually the PSU, storage, ram and or GPU. To also ask, why do you think the board is what needs changing of all the parts in your build? Something on the platform feels sluggish or slow?

I'm sorry that I didn't provide that to begin with, here is the following specs that I have:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
Motherboard:ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200
SSD/HDD: 1TB M.2 SSD, 1TB HDD, 256 GB SSD
GPU: MSI RTX 3070
PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750W 85+ Gold
Chassis: One kind of like the Corsair Carbide 100R but it's nearly 10 years old
Monitor: HP X34 monitor

I wouldn't put any more money into your pc and your motherboard is fine. The only thing to ponder is a 5800x3d but depends on the games you play. Otherwise you're about maxxed out.

Is there anything your pc isn't doing well at this point? It's a very good gaming pc.

I have been considering it, due to what I play really benefitting from the 3d cache. My MC has an open box one for $288. For most people, though, probably not a good idea.
It's in very specific circumstances where there is a substantial improvement, given the 5800X is effectively the same thing but without the cache, I wouldn't recommend it for most people. It has been very attractive at recent sale price though, I have recommended it on occasion, just not to people that already have a capable CPU like the 5800X.

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
I wouldn't put any more money into your pc and your motherboard is fine. The only thing to ponder is a 5800x3d but depends on the games you play. Otherwise you're about maxxed out.

Is there anything your pc isn't doing well at this point? It's a very good gaming pc.
The PC is handling everything I throw at it quite well, only issue can be multitasking whenever I have demanding games open along with other programs, so I have been thinking of getting faster RAMs but that's not high on my list. The main reason I wanted a new case for it, is because it does make some noise and I wanted to make a bit more silent and easier to cool down.

Reactions: GarrettL