Question Tipping point with DDR5 - Give up or try a 2 DIMM board for my 13900K

Wolverine2349

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022
I am at a tipping point and near ready to go back to DDR4 with my DDR5 frustrations. Though I really want 6400 CL32 or faster to work as per Gamers Nexus it does provide a gaming boost in CPU limited situations.
Is the bottom line that to get DDR5 at 6000MHZ or faster Samsung or Hynix kit fully stable, is active cooling needed or at least extremely high case airflow so temps never exceed 40-45C something on SPD Hub in HWInfo64?? Or is that not necessarily true??
Would it be worth purchasing a 2 DIMM board like the MSI Z690 Unify X and could that help a lot??

Or is it a lost cause if I insist on using a Noctua NH-D15 cooler with 2 140mm fans to cool my CPU which makes space much more limited near RAM and maybe restricts airflow and just better off going back to a good DR4 Samsung B.Die 3600 CL14 kit. Cause I refuse to do liquid cooling of any kind on my CPU to free up space.

Or is it too hard to say??

You can see my frustrations and troubles here:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/yl6v15/best_z790_motherboard_for_ddr5_xmp_ram_stability/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/ymvtx3/ddr5_6400_and_7200_xmp_profiles_not_totally/

Lutfij

Titan
IMHO, it boils down to being an early adopter. It's not been that long since the board/CPU combo has come out...as such(at the time of writing) your motherboard literally has one BIOS version listed on the motherboard's support site, meaning that they are either unaware of the issue or they are and they're working on to release a BIOS version. I'd say to hold out a little longer and try and inform Asus about the issue as well. I looked into the other reddit post, that other board also has one BIOS version listed.

Have you tried aiming a fan at the ram sticks to see if that does prove the theory of getting better ram speeds...? I don't think you do need to add a fan if the airflow in your case and your ambient room air temps aren't abnormal...and you don't have a case that's practically choked off with a glass panel(in spite of looking cool with a halo on said fans).

Last edited:

Wolverine2349

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022
IMHO, it boils down to being an early adopter. It's not been that long since the board/CPU combo has come out...as such(at the time of writing) your motherboard literally has one BIOS version listed on the motherboard's support site, meaning that they are either unaware of the issue or they are and they're working on to release a BIOS version. I'd say to hold out a little longer and try and inform Asus about the issue as well. I looked into the other reddit post, that other board also has one BIOS version listed.

Have you tried aiming a fan at the ram sticks to see if that does prove the theory of getting better ram speeds...? I don't think you do need to add a fan if the airflow in your case and your ambient room air temps aren't abnormal...and you don't have a case that's practically choked off with a glass panel(in spite of looking cool with a halo on said fans.

Yeah early adapter is right. Though I thought it would be a lot better with Z790 and Raptor Lake as they are refinements with better binning of Z690 and Alder Lake.

And oh boy its been problematic for sure.

And I do not want to have to hold out. I bought this to have a good system with 6400 DDR5 and a well tuned 8 core 16 thread CPU which the 13900K will provide with e-cores shut off and P cores clocked high. Though have to get stable XMP DDR5 first or go back to go old 3600 CL14 DDR4 and mobo before I can even think about overclocking the P cores.

I had thought XMP up to 6400 with DDR5 just liker XMP up to 3600 with DDR4 was almost a given now. Boy was I wrong on DDR5 part. 6000 is even having trouble though much closer to stability but not quite.

And no I have not tried a fan with the current board. I did try one last Thursday with the Strix Z790-F with the 7200 Kit at XMP settings and it BSOD like 2 minutes into OCCT Large Data Set Variable test. It seemed to make it even worse though temps did lower by maybe 4 to 5C at most as I did not have much room for a fan there.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Yeah early adapter is right. Though I thought it would be a lot better with Z790 and Raptor Lake as they are refinements with better binning of Z690 and Alder Lake.

And oh boy its been problematic for sure.

And I do not want to have to hold out. I bought this to have a good system with 6400 DDR5 and a well tuned 8 core 16 thread CPU which the 13900K will provide with e-cores shut off and P cores clocked high. Though have to get stable XMP DDR5 first or go back to go old 3600 CL14 DDR4 and mobo before I can even think about overclocking the P cores.

I had thought XMP up to 6400 with DDR5 just liker XMP up to 3600 with DDR4 was almost a given now. Boy was I wrong on DDR5 part. 6000 is even having trouble though much closer to stability but not quite.

And no I have not tried a fan with the current board. I did try one last Thursday with the Strix Z790-F with the 7200 Kit at XMP settings and it BSOD like 2 minutes into OCCT Large Data Set Variable test. It seemed to make it even worse though temps did lower by maybe 4 to 5C at most as I did not have much room for a fan there.
Did you get this to work? I am currently trying to decide between sticking with my DDR4 3600 CL16 or getting some DDR5 6400 CL32. Are you still having stability or thermal issues with the DDR5?

Wolverine2349

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022
Did you get this to work? I am currently trying to decide between sticking with my DDR4 3600 CL16 or getting some DDR5 6400 CL32. Are you still having stability or thermal issues with the DDR5?

Nope never got it to work even after deciding to give it one more try hoping new BIOS updates would be improved as I went on a part swapping venture to try and get rid of RTX 4090 coil whine/buzz

In fact it was worse with later BIOS and MEI and DDR5.

SO I went back to well tuned DDR4 overclocked to 4200 CL16 Samsung BDie in Gear 1 and it works like a charm on Asus Z790-A Strix mobo.

And finally got a Gaming OC RTX 4090 with almost no whine/buzz that is inaudible with case next to me under the desk and only can hear a little buzz/whine if I put my ear a few inches or closer to the case.

I got lucky with the right power supply Thermaltake GF3 ToughPower 1200W with the native 12BHPWR connector that maybe was finally the right one for a Gaming OC 4090. Cause Yes I also tried MSI A1000G with the native 12VPWR connector and it made no difference with other Gaming OC 4090s.