Question Titan x maxwell and titan x pascal sli

Smoky Mcpot

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
I have a titan x Maxwell if I buy a titan x pascal can I have them in sli together?

Would it possibly be better to have two maxwells in sli or just one pascal and sell the Maxwell card?

Thanks.

Smoky Mcpot

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
No, they wont SLI together. I do not recommend SLI. If you are not happy with your performance would sell your Maxwell Titan and buy a single card that you can afford (2070 or higher).
I only play games in 3840x2160p and after looking at a comparison of the two cards the Pascal titan seems to give much better fps.

I am seriously considering getting a titan x pascal and would have put them in sli if I could but if not I will just sell the Maxwell.

Smoky Mcpot

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
I only play games in 3840x2160p and after looking at a comparison of the two cards the Pascal titan seems to give much better fps.

I am seriously considering getting a titan x pascal and would have put them in sli if I could but if not I will just sell the Maxwell.
I would also rather have one pascal than two maxwells as I have never had two cards in sli before and i don't know anything about sli setups

Smoky Mcpot

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
How much would a Titan X Pascal cost you? Titans are usually pretty terrible value for money. Probably better off getting a 1080 Ti or 2080 (Ti) (or Radeon VII, but generally those aren't very competitive either from what I've seen).
In 2160p with everything maxed out in a game like the wicher 3 I get around 30 fps.
According to this site -https://babeltechreviews.com/battle-titans-pascal-titan-x-vs-maxwell-titan-x/2/
With a titan x pascal I could get as much as 20 fps extra which is to good to pass up.
Anything over 60fps is pointless because I use a 55"hdtv.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Err, OK? I'm not debating that the Titan X pascal is more powerful than your Titan X maxwell. I'm saying that a 1080 Ti or 2080 would be around as powerful as a Titan X pascal but are usually cheaper.

Also, to clarify, are you referring to the Titan X (2016) or the Titan Xp (2017)?

Smoky Mcpot

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
Err, OK? I'm not debating that the Titan X pascal is more powerful than your Titan X maxwell. I'm saying that a 1080 Ti or 2080 would be around as powerful as a Titan X pascal but are usually cheaper.

Also, to clarify, are you referring to the Titan X (2016) or the Titan Xp (2017)?
From what I can see on Google titan x pascall is around £700 and rtx 2080 ti is around £1000.
What is the difference between 2016 2017?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
RTX 2080 Ti is in a higher performance tier. An RTX 2080 costs less than £700 and performs better than the Titan X while using less power and having more modern features. I don't know where you're finding a Titan X for sale, but if it's used/2nd hand I'm sure you could find a used 1080 Ti for much cheaper.

There is a Titan X which came out in 2016, and then there is the Titan Xp that came out in 2017. Both are based on the Pascal architecture, but the Xp is more powerful.

Smoky Mcpot

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
RTX 2080 Ti is in a higher performance tier. An RTX 2080 costs less than £700 and performs better than the Titan X while using less power and having more modern features.

There is a Titan X which came out in 2016, and then there is the Titan Xp that came out in 2017.
Ok I will look a bit more.
Do you know if the upcoming rtx 2080 super supports raytracing at 2160p?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
All RTX cards support raytracing*. It typically results in a large performance hit though. It varies by game but I doubt you'd be able to maintain 60 fps at 4k/high settings including raytracing.

E.g. a 2080 Ti can only average ~40 FPS in metro exodus with raytracing on at 4K. https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/metro-exodus-ray-tracing-dlss,review-34743.html

*Actually, all Nvidia 10xx cards support raytracing now, but GTX (rather than RTX) cards don't have hardware accelerated raytracing so they will be more limited in what they can handle.