To all my guitar players out there, need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2019
Hey everyone! Soooo let me ask a question to all of you guys and gals that dabble with guitar. I have a Yamaha FX335c acoustic-electric. I've had it for a few years but I've never stored it with those humidity packs in its hard case. Is this something that should be done regularly? When its not getting used its stored in its case and is away from exterior walls. Just a thought, and input would be greatly appreciated!

volstead

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
For what it's worth, I've been playing for years, and I own a Breedlove acoustic that I've done simple maintenance on such as cleaning the exterior and replacing the strings. I used to keep it in its case (soft shell) but for years I just leave it propped up on a wall next to the radiator when it's not on. In the winter I move it to a wall without radiators. Hasn't seemed to damage it at all. On the other hand, I would never leave it in my car on a cold winter night or during the summer heat. It's really up to you since your guitar is a new purchase, and I'm sure you want to protect it, which is the right thing to do. I would say keeping it in its case would keep it safe and playable. You'll of course find people who swear by using humidity packs, but I'm not one of them. I wouldn't take advice from a guitar sales store b/c they would probably want to sell the packs to make a sale. Do you know any experienced guitarists you can talk to about it, those who do not have a stake in selling you something?

Reactions: Leetyx
Feb 26, 2019
thanks for the replies. I've had the guitar for probably almost three years now. I was just thinking about the packs the other day, since I've never used them. I hurt myself last year so I haven't been able to play to much or at all. It's been sitting in its case I was just curious if it'll be alright and ready to be used again without any warping to the neck.

volstead

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
If you have the packs, use them. Certainly can't hurt your guitar. As to the neck being warped, I don't think the packs would prevent neck warping. Have you ever had it setup? Music stores will charge $60-80 for that. Could be a good idea if you think it needs it. Dead frets and buzzing are indicators of warp.

Reactions: Leetyx
Feb 26, 2019
yeah buzzing is a tell tale sign, somtimes the action just needs to be adjusted. I havent used packs at all on my guitar for years, just didnt know if they were worth a damn or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.