[SOLVED] To deal with power problems like spikes - PSU with ATX 3.0 (Thermaltake) or higher wattage (Silverstone)?

Jan 16, 2023
Background: when playing Greedfall and having the game autosave at certain points, my PC shuts down completely and can't be turned on again until I dis- and reconnect the power cable. I assume this is because my old 660W PSU can't deal with the power spike. And even if not, I think it's time to upgrade.

So I want something that can deal with power spikes, and any other PSU-related problems while we're at it. I thought about getting a Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1200W, since it is ATX 3.0 and that's supposed to be better at power spikes, right?

But on the other hand, the Thermaltake is getting delayed and I just got offered a Silverstone DA1650 Gold for about 200 €. Considering both are quite overkill for my system, will I be adequately protected from power-related problems with either of them?

Assume a processor in the 13700K and a GPU in the 3080 range. It's not exactly what I have atm, but I intend to use the PSU for the next 7-10 years, and usually shop in that range.

Solution
Do I understand that correctly, that the ATX 3.0 improved for spikes doesn't count for the connectors except the big one, so it's basically the same as the old standard for all other connectors?
no, PSUs which includes 12pin connector have increased tollerances for transient spikes and power overload

PSUs which does not have 12pin connector can have much lower tollerances and can be still certified as atx 3.0
those PSUs arent ment for power hungry GPUs, but am pretty sure low end garbage tier PSUs will eventualy hit market

12pin connector does not need to be used, usualy PSUs will provide 8pins for pcie

And how do I know how well a given PSU can handle those spikes? Can I look that up somehow? Because I'D like to see how...
from atx 3.0 guidelines you could read that those increased transient spikes are handled on PSUs with pcie 5.0 12vhpwr connector, so atx 3.0 without 12vhpwr connector does not need to handle transient spikes, can be just rebranded atx 2.x with juast added ALPM mode

toughpower is certified to handle transient spikes fine

Reactions: Libita
Jan 16, 2023
from atx 3.0 guidelines you could read that those increased transient spikes are handled on PSUs with pcie 5.0 12vhpwr connector, so atx 3.0 without 12vhpwr connector does not need to handle transient spikes, can be just rebranded atx 2.x with juast added ALPM mode

toughpower is certified to handle transient spikes fine

Do I understand that correctly, that the ATX 3.0 improved for spikes doesn't count for the connectors except the big one, so it's basically the same as the old standard for all other connectors?
And how do I know how well a given PSU can handle those spikes? Can I look that up somehow? Because I'D like to see how the Silverstone holds up in comparison.

no, PSUs which includes 12pin connector have increased tollerances for transient spikes and power overload

PSUs which does not have 12pin connector can have much lower tollerances and can be still certified as atx 3.0
those PSUs arent ment for power hungry GPUs, but am pretty sure low end garbage tier PSUs will eventualy hit market

12pin connector does not need to be used, usualy PSUs will provide 8pins for pcie

And how do I know how well a given PSU can handle those spikes? Can I look that up somehow? Because I'D like to see how the Silverstone holds up in comparison.
with atx 2.x rule of thumb is to get 2x bigger PSU then you actually need as transient spikes can get as high as 2x gpu max power
300watt gpu = 600watt transient + ~150w cpu + ~100w rest (mobo/ram/usb/rgb/etc)
thats around 850watts with atx 2.x
with atx 3.0 (which includes 12pin) its 300 + 150 + 100 = 550watt psu

Last edited:
Reactions: Libita
Solution
Jan 16, 2023

with atx 2.x rule of thumb is to get 2x bigger PSU then you actually need as transient spikes can get as high as 2x gpu max power
300watt gpu = 600watt transient + ~150w cpu + ~100w rest (mobo/ram/usb/rgb/etc)
thats around 850watts with atx 2.x
with atx 3.0 (which includes 12pin) its 300 + 150 + 100 = 550watt psu

Okay, so basically:
  1. If I get an ATX 3.0, I should make sure it has a 12 pin connector.
  2. Both the PSUs I mentioned would be fine, the Toughpower because of ATX 3.0 + 12 pin connector, the Silverstone for simply being so big that any spike will still be below the 1650W threshold.

Okay, so basically:
  1. If I get an ATX 3.0, I should make sure it has a 12 pin connector.
  2. Both the PSUs I mentioned would be fine, the Toughpower because of ATX 3.0 + 12 pin connector, the Silverstone for simply being so big that any spike will still be below the 1650W threshold.
yup both are fine, toughpower is more futureproof as atx 3.0 aslo brings ALPM which is very low power idle mode

Jan 16, 2023
Thanks. The idle mode is actually not unimportant since the PC will spend a lot of time being used as an office PC, with the PSU presumably being bored to death.

The Silverstone is only on the table because I get it for 40 € cheaper despite being a lot bigger, and I get it now instead of (hopefully) in a month.