To Play Titanfall You Will Need 64-bit Windows, 4GB RAM, More

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xiinc37

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
'BOUT DAMN TIME. Just how long have we been waiting for games to move past 32 bit? I have tons of RAM, I'd love to finally be able to use it for more than just virtualization.

pfft, my i9 5980X @ 12.0, 384GB DDR7, 8 R9 390Xs, and six 8K monitors can't even touch it.

According to the GPU heirarchy chart here on Tom's the 4770 and 8800GT are only one tier away from each other.:spamafote:

A cursory wikipedia search has led me to believe the PS3 and X360 both have 32-bit CPUs (I'm probably wrong though). Which would restrict this to the latest consoles only. From what I've seen, all recent multiplatform games have been 32bit.

genz

Distinguished
The 4770 is clearly superior to the 8800GT. I found this amusing when I once saw the requirements for Aion to be a 9800GT/4850 when the 4830 would do just fine.An Athlon X2 on the other hand... is no match for a Core 2 Duo even with a 400MHz clock speed advantage. You'd need a Phenom II X2 instead for parity.
That's not true. To put it simply, this is an AMD optimised game. To explain fully. Intel and Nvidia love Floating Point operations, and AMD is integer king. Every AMD chip out there can match or slightly beat the same gen Intel chip out there at pure integer ops but falls over terribly to floating point ops. As this game has been made in parallel on console it WILL mainly use integer instructions, so I would think an Athlon X2 would compete in this case.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
The 4770 is clearly superior to the 8800GT. I found this amusing when I once saw the requirements for Aion to be a 9800GT/4850 when the 4830 would do just fine.An Athlon X2 on the other hand... is no match for a Core 2 Duo even with a 400MHz clock speed advantage. You'd need a Phenom II X2 instead for parity.
That's not true. To put it simply, this is an AMD optimised game. To explain fully. Intel and Nvidia love Floating Point operations, and AMD is integer king. Every AMD chip out there can match or slightly beat the same gen Intel chip out there at pure integer ops but falls over terribly to floating point ops. As this game has been made in parallel on console it WILL mainly use integer instructions, so I would think an Athlon X2 would compete in this case.
The Athlon X2 is most likely a die harvested Phenom I. Phenom isn't hampered to the same extent as Bulldozer as concerns floating point operations, but is still slower than Core 2 Duo and Phenom II X2.

genz

Distinguished

Of course I did, because your s4 isn't a phone with a cruddy ULV processor and no extensions, and it obviously has a GPU that can hold a candle to an 8800GT.

@x2ruff4u

I'm curious how long it will take them to crack the BIOS/Hypervisor/OS combo. They still couldn't do that on slimline Xbox 360s and without that, there is no OS memory dump that is worth testing your emu against.

bloodroses75

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
@XGrabMyY Pretty much. We probably will see PS4 emulators this year because PC & PS4 have VERY similar specs.
If that was the case, we'd have fully working Xbox emulators by now since they're just modified pentium 3's with Nvidia GeForce 3's in them.However, porting console games over to the PC market should be much easier now with these new consoles sharing similar hardware.

DrBackwater

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Oh, oh i thought we were at the point of vram, ahh, ah i see. more ram, seriously more ram? to many people have to much ram way to much ram.way way to much ram.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Requires EA Origin...say goodbye to hundreds of thousands of PC sales from peopel that don't support working developers 80 hour weeks, months straight and paying them for 40

Ad Hoc

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
Extremely low requirements considering the RAM and 64-bit restriction. I imagine that has a lot to do with the ancient Source Engine platform, and also the title being held back by the underwhelming new "next-gen" consoles.In any case it will be fun to try ou this "demo" before the game launches in March.
Source loads and store all of the textures (and lighting associated with them) in the RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.