To replace stock cooler or not?

fredsone

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
Hi
We are building a pc and are considering adding an aftermarket cpu cooler.
We have an Intel i5-4590 processor, an ASRock Z87 Pro3 MBoard and a NZXT Source 210 Elite case.
I have looked at a LOT of replacement coolers and am leaning toward a liquid cooler. This is simply because in my uninformed view the idea of having a huge cooler hanging of a vertically mounted motherboard doesn't look good. So what is the view of those with experience :) ? From what I have read we should have 160mm clearance from the motherboard to the side of the case.

Also, as I wrote I like the idea of liquid coolers but am not sure if I could fit one (e.g. a Corsair H60-75) in the case.

Thanks.

kwa-e

Admirable
While it does look uniformly better in my eyes it isn't exactly worth the $50 you'll spend for a liquid cooler, especially if you're not overclocking. but you should be able to fit one just as long as a 120MM exhaust fan slot is nearby the CPU which is standard these days.

This is just a question out of curiosity but have you already bought the parts (i5, z87 etc.) listed above?

Unless you have room for a twin 240 mm rad & fans then most of the decent air coolers will perform better.
The single rad h60 is not that good a cooler ,look at the cryorig h7,raijintek themis or even the old 212 evo for good cooling on a budget.

fredsone

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
Hi Kwa-e
yes we already have the parts, the original plan was to upgrade our old compaq so started down that road and ended up "adding" bits to the original plan, I bet we are not the first to make that error... :)

fredsone

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
hmmm
something is up...
It doesn't look like my text is always getting posted when I try to reply to the answers, and I have had a number of popups saying that our pc is exhibiting some suspicious behavior.

fredsone

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
Thanks for the answers.
I think a room for a twin 240 mm rad & fans won’t fit, I have seen a video where the person removed the 3.5 inch bays so they could fit a 240 mm rad with fans.
I was thinking there may be room for a 120mm set up but having seen the replies here and the links provided by Simonmarkis I have decided against a liquid cooler and gone with a Cryorig h7.

Thanks to all who posted an answer, much appreciated.