To those people angry about not getting their OS CD...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Laura wrote:

>> It sure sounds like you got shorted on the appropriate CD!
>

> That's the whole point of the conversation. Dell no longer provides OS
> CD or Recovery CDs with new machines. They provide a utility designed to
> create your own. Now it looks like that is not working for people either.

In the last month, I got two new Dells. A 4700 desktop with XP Home and
an Inspiron 6000 with XP Pro. Both came with an printed piece with the
CDs instructing me to create an XP install CD in case I ever needed to
reinstall the O/S.

The menu item didn't even exist on the Home machine. A couple of e-mails
to Dell's tech support and two days later I had a CD.

On the Pro machine the menu item was there. I put in a blank CD and it
worked just fine to create an XP Pro install CD. Afterward the menu item
was gone. So, be careful since you can only do this once.

But I strongly encourage anyone who's having trouble to send a nicely
worded e-mail to tech support. I got answers back in a matter of a
couple of hours. I wouldn't aggrivate myself with a phone call.

HTH,

Bob

tedB@bommer.net wrote:

> I got a disc for the CRT monitor, one for reinstalling the modem, one
> for reinstalling WordPerfect, and 2 for reinstalling Sonic RecordNow.
>
> Now, let me guess, the bastards sent me a second Sonic disc instead of
> the ResourceCd you are mentioning? However, even if that is so, I
> still am not getting *any* response at all when I click on Dell OS
> Recovery CD. As I said, I do not have any menu item such as you
> described which asks for "ResourceCD." There is no mention of such an
> item in my menu.

Those Sonic CDs are different. Check them carefully.

> I'd send Dell a blistering email, except it would probably end up in a
> wastebasket, as, I'm sure, have others from a slew of angry customers
> regarding this subject.

Skip the blistering part and try strongly worded but professional.
Worked for me. I had a new XP CD in two days.

Bob

Bob Johnson wrote:

>>I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
>>click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.
>

> I do not even have a option for "Dell OS Recovery CD" on the menu.
> Could you tell me the properties for that option and location of
> program it launches ?

It's missing on some of the XP Home installs. Send an e-mail to Dell
Tech support. After a couple of back and forth e-mails, I had a new CD
in two days.

Bob

Laura wrote:

> The directions or rather the url are contained on a paper CD looking
> disk. BTW, that "copy" is only good if you have to reinstall the OS on
> THAT hard drive. If you upgrade or change your hard drive that Recovery
> CD is no good. As the name implies, it is a Recovery Cd and not a copy
> of XP SP2 for a clean new hard drive install as you seem to believe.

Not true. It's a full MS XP install CD.

Bob

Laura wrote:

> I did look at the CD. It appears to be an XP install disk but I won't be
> able to tell for sure until my actual CD arrives next week to do a full
> compare. I do know that several computer techs have told me that it will
> not work on a new hard drive because there is no XP on the hidden
> partition. It will only work to reinstall XP on the existing hard drive
> because the install process accesses the hidden partition. Plus when I
> commented to the Dell Tech support that my main objective was to be able
> to install XP on a replacement Hard drive in the future they did not try
> and tell me that the Recovery CD created by the utility would work. So
> for now I still believe that we are better off having the real XP OS CD.
> YMMV

So do I, but the CD created by the Dell is a full XP install CD. I made
sure to pop it into a few computers to check. The XP install splash
screen launched on all of them.

Bog

Laura wrote:

> That is not what I have been told. I have been told that it can only be
> used to REINSTALL the OS and can not be used to INSTALL XP on a blank
> Hard drive. It is a RECOVERY CD and not an XP OS CD.

You have been given misinformation. The CD is fine.

Bob

laura

"Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Laura wrote:
>
>> That is not what I have been told. I have been told that it can only be
>> used to REINSTALL the OS and can not be used to INSTALL XP on a blank
>> Hard drive. It is a RECOVERY CD and not an XP OS CD.
>
> You have been given misinformation. The CD is fine.

Then why didn't Dell tech support correct me when I said that I would need a
XP OS CD if I ever replaced my hard drive? If they had assured me that I
could use my recovery CD then this thread would not have been started.

TedB

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:03:42 GMT, "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid>
wrote:

>"Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> Laura wrote:
>>
>>> That is not what I have been told. I have been told that it can only be
>>> used to REINSTALL the OS and can not be used to INSTALL XP on a blank
>>> Hard drive. It is a RECOVERY CD and not an XP OS CD.
>>
>> You have been given misinformation. The CD is fine.
>
>Then why didn't Dell tech support correct me when I said that I would need a
>XP OS CD if I ever replaced my hard drive? If they had assured me that I
could use my recovery CD then this thread would not have been started.

This lengthy thread has been very useful to me. It enabled a newcomer to
this group to see most of the hecklers and nasties indigenous to this
group come out of their roach holes and be killfiled early on. : )

wrote:

>"Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> Laura wrote:
>>
>>> That is not what I have been told. I have been told that it can only be
>>> used to REINSTALL the OS and can not be used to INSTALL XP on a blank
>>> Hard drive. It is a RECOVERY CD and not an XP OS CD.
>>
>> You have been given misinformation. The CD is fine.
>
>Then why didn't Dell tech support correct me when I said that I would need a
>XP OS CD if I ever replaced my hard drive? If they had assured me that I
>could use my recovery CD then this thread would not have been started.

In my Inbox today:
--------------------------------------
Dear XXXX

Thank you for contacting Dell Technical Support.

Since the previous email agent is not available today, I am replying to
your message so that we can solve your problem as quickly as possible.

In order to diagnose the issue with Windows XP CD and the
Drivers CD in most efficient manner, an order has been issued for
replacing the CD's.
----------------------------------

It would have saved them a lot of hassle if they had notified everyone
of this situation before purchase and allowed the option of paying a
bit extra for these items.

I must say, despite my earlier anger and frustration, I am impressed
with their expeditious handling of this affair. Competition for our
dollar in the computer market must be fierce.

> Laura wrote:
>
>> The directions or rather the url are contained on a paper CD looking
>> disk. BTW, that "copy" is only good if you have to reinstall the OS on
>> THAT hard drive. If you upgrade or change your hard drive that Recovery
>> CD is no good. As the name implies, it is a Recovery Cd and not a copy of
>> XP SP2 for a clean new hard drive install as you seem to believe.
>
> Not true. It's a full MS XP install CD.
>
> Bob

Bob,

Thank you very much for clarifying this for us all. Now this thread can be
put to rest, as anyone can make their own cd and be done with it.

Tom

Tom Scales Wrote:

> Thank you very much for clarifying this for us all. Now this thread
> can be
> put to rest, as anyone can make their own cd and be done with it.

You've missed the point, Tom. You see, Dell is not providing this
utility to everyone. The Inspiron I received a couple of weeks had
neither the OS CD, nor a Recovery CD, nor a feature that would allow me
to burn such a disc. The hidden system restore utility was the only
rescue option available.

One email of complaint was ignored by Dell while another basically told
me that I was out of luck because Dell had stopped supplying the OS CD.
It took a half hour phone call to get any sense whatsoever out of
support, though when I did get through to the right person they
arranged the OS CD to be sent out pronto - in fact it arrived the next
day.

I have to say that all the hassle ruined what should have been a
pleasurable experience for me personally, and for that reason alone, I
doubt whether I'll be purchasing another Dell in the foreseeable
future.

Geordie.

--
Geordie

Laura wrote:

> And where do either page say that the CDs created can be used on a new
> hard drive where the OS is not on a hidden partition?

Where do they say you can't?

tedB@bommer.net wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:03:42 GMT, "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid>
> wrote:
>

>>"Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message

>>>You have been given misinformation. The CD is fine.
>>
>>Then why didn't Dell tech support correct me when I said that I would need a
>>XP OS CD if I ever replaced my hard drive? If they had assured me that I
>
> could use my recovery CD then this thread would not have been started.
>
> This lengthy thread has been very useful to me. It enabled a newcomer to
> this group to see most of the hecklers and nasties indigenous to this
> group come out of their roach holes and be killfiled early on. : )

Great, so you won't see my post!

tedB@bommer.net wrote:

>>>Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.
>>>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>>
>>Thank you for posting the URL. My 8400 does not even
>>have a "Dell OS Recovery CD" option available on the
>>START menu (as you originally described above),
>>so I am unable to try the suggested procedure.
>
> I just got mine a week ago.
>
> Gee, ain't it great dealing with a mainline company whose integrity and
> workmanship are above reproach?

You wanted an OS CD and you got one from Dell, so I'd have to say yes.

Laura wrote:

> "Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message
>
>> Laura wrote:
>>
>>> That is not what I have been told. I have been told that it can only
>>> be used to REINSTALL the OS and can not be used to INSTALL XP on a
>>> blank Hard drive. It is a RECOVERY CD and not an XP OS CD.
>>

>> You have been given misinformation. The CD is fine.
>

> Then why didn't Dell tech support correct me when I said that I would
> need a XP OS CD if I ever replaced my hard drive? If they had assured me
> that I could use my recovery CD then this thread would not have been
> started.

Because regardless of what company it is, you'll usually get better tech
support on the web than on the phone.

Bob

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 00:56:23 +0100, Geordie
<Geordie.1o0yjr@news.computerbanter.com> wrote:

>You've missed the point, Tom. You see, Dell is not providing this
>utility to everyone. The Inspiron I received a couple of weeks had
>neither the OS CD, nor a Recovery CD, nor a feature that would allow me
>to burn such a disc. The hidden system restore utility was the only
>rescue option available.
Does your laptop have a CD writer?

I believe that has been proven wrong
"Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
> That is not what I have been told. I have been told that it can only be
> used to REINSTALL the OS and can not be used to INSTALL XP on a blank Hard
> drive. It is a RECOVERY CD and not an XP OS CD.
>
> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> It makes a full install CD. What needs do you have that this doesn't
>> cover?
>>

>> "Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
>>> They did mention it. And I knew about the creation of the CD before I
>>> even called them. But for my needs the recovery CD is not enough.
>>>
>>> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message

chopper

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004

"Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
> tedB@bommer.net wrote:

ent?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

> >>When I go to Start | Programs | Dell Accessories | Dell ResourceCD,
> >>the same thing happens... Nothing.
> >
> > I have no such menu item as Dell ResourceCD.
> >
> > I have only Dell OS Recovery CD.
> >
> >>The system is asking me to put the ResourceCD into the drive.
> >>
> >>Did you receive *any* CDs with your system?
> >>
> >>Notan
> >
> > I got a disc for the CRT monitor, one for reinstalling the modem, one
> > for reinstalling WordPerfect, and 2 for reinstalling Sonic RecordNow.
> >
> > Now, let me guess, the bastards sent me a second Sonic disc instead of
> > the ResourceCd you are mentioning? However, even if that is so, I
> > still am not getting *any* response at all when I click on Dell OS
> > Recovery CD. As I said, I do not have any menu item such as you
> > described which asks for "ResourceCD." There is no mention of such an
> > item in my menu.
> >
> > I'd send Dell a blistering email, except it would probably end up in a
> > wastebasket
>
> Mixed metaphor here, dude, an *email* in a *wastebasket*? Bit bucket,
> maybe, not not a wastebasket.
>
> Besides, that's irrelevant, they probably routinely toss any
> communication from people who appear illiterate or deranged.

From what I've read in here, you are quite an example of both!

VH Wrote:
> Does your laptop have a CD writer?

Yes, it has a CD-writer, complete with burning software - just no
option available anywhere that would allow me to burn the operating
system CD or a recovery CD. So Tom's theory we can all simply burn
ourselves our own OS CD just doesn't apply in my case.

Furthermore, if I hadn't phoned Dell and complained within the first
few days, I doubt whether I would have received this media at all - at
least, not without having to pay extra for it.

Geordie.

--
Geordie

"Geordie" <Geordie.1o3qjo@news.computerbanter.com> wrote in message

> VH Wrote:
>> Does your laptop have a CD writer?
>
> Yes, it has a CD-writer, complete with burning software - just no
> option available anywhere that would allow me to burn the operating
> system CD or a recovery CD. So Tom's theory we can all simply burn
> ourselves our own OS CD just doesn't apply in my case.
>
> Furthermore, if I hadn't phoned Dell and complained within the first
> few days, I doubt whether I would have received this media at all - at
> least, not without having to pay extra for it.
>
> Geordie.
>

> --
> Geordie

The two Dimensions I've seen recently (both had OS media, but also the
restore image boot option) both had the option to create the disc under dell
accessories.

Glad you got your disc.

Stew