To upgrade or no to upgrade (i5-4590)

xhonou

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
Hello,

I recently bought GTX 1070Ti along with Dell S2716DG (1440p 144hz) and started to wonder about CPU upgrade. PC is being used for gaming only.

Could you advise me whether or not i should upgrade my i5-4590 and what option to choose?

1. Stay with 1150 and buy used i7-4790k for around 250 euro. I have H97 chipset motherboard but can also get used Z97 for around 50 euro.
    2. Go for Ryzen - get 2600, change motherboard and memory for around 450 euro (500 euro for 2600X option)
    3. Stick with Intel (although prices are crazy where I live) - get 8600k, change motherboard and memory for around 570 euro

Will really appreciate your feedback!

Regards,

Mikolaj

Solution
From the 4590, I likely wouldn't upgrade within that same socket unless you have an insane amount of RAM on a really good rock solid mobo. I don't feel like you would "feel" that much for the money spent.

In truth, I own a 1700 that I purchased after I needed the 4690 I was using for something else. It was more of a lateral move in everything except items that use multi core. It will make more difference later than it does now as tech catches up. If I were going to upgrade with the sole purpose of gaming performance I would wait and save for, see what happens with this 9th gen Intel release.
Depends what you're going for. Intel will be better if you're gaming only. Although as you said it will be more expensive.

Ryzen comes with an included CPU cooler as well as 3 years warranty instead of 1. If you're tight on cash, I would recommend going for the 2600/2600X.

If you can spend the extra cash, I would suggest you go for Intel. However, that Ryzen CPU will be more than enough to handle most games nowadays and provide good performance.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
From the 4590, I likely wouldn't upgrade within that same socket unless you have an insane amount of RAM on a really good rock solid mobo. I don't feel like you would "feel" that much for the money spent.

In truth, I own a 1700 that I purchased after I needed the 4690 I was using for something else. It was more of a lateral move in everything except items that use multi core. It will make more difference later than it does now as tech catches up. If I were going to upgrade with the sole purpose of gaming performance I would wait and save for, see what happens with this 9th gen Intel release.

Solution