[SOLVED] To upgrade or not to upgrade

chadpmarshall

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016
I am at a crossroads and would like some input. I have a full atx tower with 4 RGB fans, 16mb RGB RAM, DDR4 3000, a gigabyte 1070 GPU, gigabyte z170 MOB, i7-6700K intel CPU, and a plenty powerful PSU. I have roughly 800 to spend on upgrading the MOB, GPU and CPU only. I at first thought about updating just my CPU and GPU but quickly realized I can't really do that effectively with this outdated MOB. I would like to do so for multiple reasons, one being the MOB is old and is limiting my upgrade options. At the same time, all of this equipment is only 4 years old and actually works fine. But I am a "newer and faster" junkie and if I upgrade, I can also pass down these parts I want to replace to my son for his first build. I am struggling with just pulling the trigger, or leaving things as they are. IF I were to replace those parts, with the budget I proposed, what is going to get me the ability to post up great fps for when I decide to upgrade my monitor to a 144hz. I have to say that this was my first build, and I am by no means an expert builder. My knowledge is very generalized and I am not current on what is best for gaming today. It all starts to sound the same and run together. From what I learned, its best to get the advice and input from those here who have actually used some of the upgrades you are about to recommend. Thank you all in advance. If you need more information, please let me know. I believe I have supplied you with the necessary information to reply with.

Solution
Personally I dont believe current gen hardware is worth the upgrade over your 6700k, assuming it is still performing the way you like.
If you are after the newest and best thing then why not wait for the next gen (or even after) to get more out of your money?
4th gen Ryzen is sure to impress, and may offer something with enough power to be considered an upgrade.
Personally I dont believe current gen hardware is worth the upgrade over your 6700k, assuming it is still performing the way you like.
If you are after the newest and best thing then why not wait for the next gen (or even after) to get more out of your money?
4th gen Ryzen is sure to impress, and may offer something with enough power to be considered an upgrade.

Solution

chadpmarshall

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016
I appreciate the honesty. This is what I am looking for. Someone to either convince me its worth it, or really not worth it right now. I actually am happy with the performance. I have zero complaints. I only have a 60hz monitor right now, but its absolutely beautiful at games. I haven't even messed around with overclocking anything. 1. Because I have never taken the time to learn how and 2. I really have not needed to. I just sometimes wonder when new hardware comes out, if I am losing out on what "could be". I suppose though that if I don't have a monitor capable of displaying more, its pointless. I appreciate your feedback.

Yeah exactly that, you wont gain anything from it except a bigger number on the screen, and a smaller one in your bank account.
Now, when a game comes out that you want to play but cant run on max settings at an acceptable framerate, thats when you upgrade. You will actually see a difference.

If I were in your place, and you and your son can wait some months, I will really wait and see what the performance numbers are for the new Ryzen 4xxx and new intels chips that should show up later this year.

The great thing about the intel core i7 6700K is that it has HT, so that helps a lot to keep up the track of newer and more demanding cpu games. If it was a Core i5 (4 cores) Im pretty sure many of us will say go for atleast the Ryzen 5 3600 and you will be very happy.

Now the question I would ask anyways will be, 144Hz ok, but at what resolution?. Another question will be: Keeping the GTX 1070, are you willing to sacrifice some details to get higher frames?. CPU is an important part of the equation, but depending on the resolution you may want to swap GPU first

logainofhades

Titan
For straight up gaming, your system is still fine, for now, even for a 144hz panel, assuming 1080p resolution. If you want to have better multitasking ability, to say do streaming, or video editing, then an upgrade would make sense. I had a 6700k, myself, until I swapped it for a 3700x. I wanted a more capable CPU, for multitasking, as I run dual monitor, and the timing was such that it was do it now, or potentially not be able to do it later.

How much you want to build a system, for your son, also plays a role here. I sold my old hardware, to a coworker, and used the money to build a Ryzen 5 1600 rig, for my sister in law's kids. Took advantage of Microcenter's $79.99 deal. Between the sale, and some parts I had lying around, the system didn't cost me a thing.

Reactions: RodroX