[SOLVED] Toasted Motherboard

Apr 17, 2020
Hello,

This is my first computer, a very new computer; built less than a month from this post, with assistance (I spent more time trying to help than actually helping) from a friend.

I have very little knowledge on computers.

I was booting up my desktop as usual when I noticed an odd burnt smell accompanied by traces of white smoke emitting from the desktop. In a panic, I force shut down the computer, switched off the power supply and plug before finally taking out any cable attached to the desktop. I followed this up by unscrewing my case to find any explanation to the smoke and smell.

Motherboard:
I briefly scanned the surface of my motherboard, to my dismay I found that parts of it were charred. By now my desktop stopped vaping, so I had to rely on following the burnt odour to locate other burnt spots.
Regardless if I found more, I am already considering sending the chip for RMA.

View: https://i.imgur.com/zb2yhQH.jpg

PSU:
After reading online, I was told to check for any pins on my PSU that might have caused the issue, While I haven’t found any glaring issues with the cables; I will not rule it out until I try plugging in a different PSU to see if things work.

I’m unsure if I can conduct the “Paperclip” test, the cables on my PSU are black

Questions:
(1) How do I proceed from here?

(2) What are the possible causes of the burn?

(3) What could I have done better to prevent and minimise damage ?

Motherboard:
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F (Purchased from Newegg)

PSU:
Corsair CX550M Semi-Modular (Purchased locally)

Hello,

This is my first computer, a very new computer; built less than a month from this post, with assistance (I spent more time trying to help than actually helping) from a friend.

I have very little knowledge on computers.

I was booting up my desktop as usual when I noticed an odd burnt smell accompanied by traces of white smoke emitting from the desktop. In a panic, I force shut down the computer, switched off the power supply and plug before finally taking out any cable attached to the desktop. I followed this up by unscrewing my case to find any explanation to the smoke and smell.

Motherboard:
I briefly scanned the surface of my motherboard, to my dismay I found that parts of it were charred. By now my desktop stopped vaping, so I had to rely on following the burnt odour to locate other burnt spots.
Regardless if I found more, I am already considering sending the chip for RMA.

View: https://i.imgur.com/zb2yhQH.jpg

PSU:
After reading online, I was told to check for any pins on my PSU that might have caused the issue, While I haven’t found any glaring issues with the cables; I will not rule it out until I try plugging in a different PSU to see if things work.

I’m unsure if I can conduct the “Paperclip” test, the cables on my PSU are black

Questions:
(1) How do I proceed from here?

(2) What are the possible causes of the burn?

(3) What could I have done better to prevent and minimise damage ?

Motherboard:
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F (Purchased from Newegg)

PSU:
Corsair CX550M Semi-Modular (Purchased locally)
Traces from burnt spot lead to RGB header, did you have anything connected to it ?