today I found a floppy drive and an old disk

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
today I cleaned the drawers and found an old USB floppy drive and disk, surprisingly it still works, the files were first written to the floppy disk in early 2000, among 30 files in total, 5 of them are not readable, 25 of them are good and copied correctly. They are all pictures. I suddenly found that after decades, technology has changed and advanced a lot, but the kind of pictures and videos I am watching today doesn't have any change....

RealBeast

Titan
today I cleaned the drawers and found an old USB floppy drive and disk, surprisingly it still works, the files were first written to the floppy disk in early 2000, among 30 files in total, 5 of them are not readable, 25 of them are good and copied correctly. They are all pictures. I suddenly found that after decades, technology has changed and advanced a lot, but the kind of pictures and videos I am watching today doesn't have any change....
Being a packrat, I have boxes of old gear including 3.5" and 5.25" floppies and drives. Unfortunately, I tore down my last system that easily supported them -- but I still have the parts. I transferred all the data to newer media before the teardown. It really is a trip down an old road. (y)

irbrenda

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
I'm still using floppies in my work daily. It's the company I work for and the work I do, but I refuse to spend $12k for new equipment at my age. Old works for me and the bosses! Old seasoned court reporter, dinosaur era, and should have retired years ago. Old reporters don't die. We just go "off the record."

Reactions: COLGeek
Jan 23, 2021
I'm still using floppies in my work daily. It's the company I work for and the work I do, but I refuse to spend $12k for new equipment at my age. Old works for me and the bosses! Old seasoned court reporter, dinosaur era, and should have retired years ago. Old reporters don't die. We just go "off the record."
You are using floppies in 2021, YOU ARE PROBABLY THE ONLY ONE DOING THIS :)