News Today's heavy GPUs continue to be plagued with cracking around PCIe slots — 19 damaged Nvidia RTX 4090s, most with cracked PCBs, arrive at Northbri...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoidz

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I hope to upgrade to 4090 or that level next year.

I switched to a Cube Case a few years back - Thermaltake Level 20 XT - that has horizontal MB and Vertical GPU mounting so hopefully that is one issue I won't ever have to face.

Unless the sheer weight is still allowing the Card to flex the connector area to one side of the other? I don't think the connector is actually centered between the sides of the frame/shroud?

Nov 21, 2023
This isn't a manufacturer defect, it's a harsh reality that can befall any particularly heavy GPU that is not vertically mounted and has no GPU support bracket installed as well.

As someone who does warranty / refurbish / RMA related repairs for a number of large electronics and PC component manufacturers I've seen this over and over again first hand with larger GPUs across every single manufacturer including NVIDIA's Foxconn manufactured FE models. The number one cause of this type of crack near the PCIe slot retention bracket is a combination of the sheer weight of the cards, gravity, time, and no decent GPU support bracket being installed on top of it all.

At best, you don't wind up with a cracked PCB and instead the flexing of the PCB over time leads to solder joints under the VRAM or GPU Core breaking which will result in either artifacts / no video / no fan spin / etc. This is exacerbated when an individual or a prebuilt manufacturer ships the PC or moves the whole PC with said card installed in the system still.

Gigabyte is slightly more susceptible to this causing damage that leads to the card no longer functioning as intended for the simple fact that they manufacture their PCBs with several critical data and voltage traces running much closer to the retention hook then other manufacturers but it has nothing to do with PCB quality or defects.

This is the same reason no manufacturer will accept warranty repairs for this kind of damage because it's technically the fault of the user or the company that purchased the GPU to be installed into the prebuilt system.

Do I believe manufacturers should be more transparent about how critical a solid GPU support bracket is to the longevity of these larger GPUs? Yes. However, the damage that occurs from these combination of factors ultimately isn't the fault of the manufacturer.

Also, there is a typo in the heading. It's NorthRIDGE not Bridge.

Reactions: KyaraM and Phaaze88

aberkae

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
A non issue for the hybrid solution like Suprim liquid, which by the way fits into an itx case with 240mm rad clearance and oc with 1 click to 3ghz. Take home message if you are going to purchase a 4 slot behemoth air cooled gpu, make sure it's secure at a minimum.
Maybe it's time for every GPU manufacturer to include a generic GPU support bracket.
and or make sure the client is aware of purchasing one to mitigate sag/leading to pcb cracks eventually.

This is a problem a vertical GPU mounting system was supposed to solve, but that never really took off. Considering more high end systems these days are shipping with essentially one usable PCIe slot, with the rest being used for M.2 slots, it's about time to move on from the traditional ATX form factor and to something that makes more sense.

Nov 21, 2023
Lay down the pipe, it is their fault.
It's really not the manufacturers fault. Common sense dictates something as heavy as an air cooled 4090 / 4080 / 4070Ti / 7900 XTX / 7900 XT / etc. should have some sort of support to prevent the PCB from flexing if it's going to be installed in the traditional horizontal orientation.

Common sense further dictates that moving a system with something that heavy still installed in it with no additional support and thinking there is no possibility of something breaking is absurd. It would be the manufacturers fault if these damages were caused by a manufacturing defect, but they're not. They're caused due to damage from shipping or individuals either known or unknown negligence by not installing something as simple as a $5 GPU support for a exorbitantly more expensive piece of hardware that every warranty states will not be covered in the event of physical damages.

As I said before, manufacturers should advocate more in informing end users that they should install a support bracket for most cards that are 2 slots or more but that doesn't necessarily put the blame directly on them. If every PC case was designed so PCIe hardware was mounted in a vertical fashion these incidents would be almost unheard of. I don't see you blaming case manufacturers though.

There have been plenty of cards purchased that come with a support bracket for this exact reason and the end user opts not to install it anyways, how is that the fault of the manufacturer? There is only so much engineering that can be done to combat breaks like this when the GPU is mounted horizontally with zero additional support.

The only ones who need to put the pipe down are customers who feel they're entitled to warranty repairs or replacements for damages that were ultimately their fault. That's not how warranty works, it covers manufacturing defects and premature component failure, not cracked and broken layers of fiberglass epoxy filler and copper from customer negligence.

plusev

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2014
This isn't a manufacturer defect, it's a harsh reality that can befall any particularly heavy GPU that is not vertically mounted and has no GPU support bracket installed as well.

As someone who does warranty / refurbish / RMA related repairs for a number of large electronics and PC component manufacturers I've seen this over and over again first hand with larger GPUs across every single manufacturer including NVIDIA's Foxconn manufactured FE models. The number one cause of this type of crack near the PCIe slot retention bracket is a combination of the sheer weight of the cards, gravity, time, and no decent GPU support bracket being installed on top of it all.

At best, you don't wind up with a cracked PCB and instead the flexing of the PCB over time leads to solder joints under the VRAM or GPU Core breaking which will result in either artifacts / no video / no fan spin / etc. This is exacerbated when an individual or a prebuilt manufacturer ships the PC or moves the whole PC with said card installed in the system still.

Gigabyte is slightly more susceptible to this causing damage that leads to the card no longer functioning as intended for the simple fact that they manufacture their PCBs with several critical data and voltage traces running much closer to the retention hook then other manufacturers but it has nothing to do with PCB quality or defects.

This is the same reason no manufacturer will accept warranty repairs for this kind of damage because it's technically the fault of the user or the company that purchased the GPU to be installed into the prebuilt system.

Do I believe manufacturers should be more transparent about how critical a solid GPU support bracket is to the longevity of these larger GPUs? Yes. However, the damage that occurs from these combination of factors ultimately isn't the fault of the manufacturer.

Also, there is a typo in the heading. It's NorthRIDGE not Bridge.
You're contradicting yourself.

Plenty of "CoD bros" - for lack of a better term, are completely oblivious to such problems. It's their fault for not being more transparent about potential issues that can surface.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
This is a problem a vertical GPU mounting system was supposed to solve, but that never really took off. Considering more high end systems these days are shipping with essentially one usable PCIe slot, with the rest being used for M.2 slots, it's about time to move on from the traditional ATX form factor and to something that makes more sense.

This ^^^^^

But don't expect the manufacturers to accept any blame while laughing all the way to the bank. Better blame the user, as usual.

A 2-3 lbs, 3-4 slot behemoth of a GPU still using the same flimsy PCI connector that was fist used with 1 slot, 1/2 lb GPU!!

plusev

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2014
People who believe this would happen after one, two, or three years with a PC that's stationary, even without a support bracket, are borderline deluded. Those three screws that hold the GPU in place are there for a reason. These computers were assembled and shipped with the GPUs hooked up, but without the proper packaging or support systems in place. If I were shipping these computers out, I wouldn't take the slightest gamble. The GPU would be shipped in its appropriate box.

USAFRet

Titan
People who believe this would happen after one, two, or three years with a PC that's stationary, even without a support bracket, are borderline deluded. Those three screws that hold the GPU in place are there for a reason. These computers were assembled and shipped with the GPUs hooked up, but without the proper packaging or support systems in place. If I were shipping these computers out, I wouldn't take the slightest gamble. The GPU would be shipped in its appropriate box.
And you're expecting the end user to install it?

Many many people are not like you and I.

Reactions: Order 66

plusev

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2014
And you're expecting the end user to install it?

Many many people are not like you and I.
The customer would then be required to sign a waiver and be made aware of any potential risks. For Christ's sake, assembling a GPU to its appropriate slot isn't tough.

USAFRet

Titan
The customer would then be required to sign a waiver and be made aware of any potential risks. For Christ's sake, assembling a GPU to its appropriate slot isn't tough.
hahaha.....

The PC is a magical black box.
Take the side panel off, and ask 10 random, non-geek people to identify the major components inside.

I'd be surprised if more than 3 got it all correct.

If a GPU is too heavy to be supported by the standard PCIe slot, then a redesign of something is in order.
An included support arm, stronger slot, something.

plusev

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2014
hahaha.....

The PC is a magical black box.
Take the side panel off, and ask 10 random, non-geek people to identify the major components inside.

I'd be surprised if more than 3 got it all correct.

If a GPU is too heavy to be supported by the standard PCIe slot, then a redesign of something is in order.
An included support arm, stronger slot, something.
You're clutching at straws.

I mean, obviously? Those same people likely never owned a desktop PC (and never will) to begin with in their lives because news flash: It's technically still a niche market. Most people are addicted to their tablets and smartphones nowadays, and consoles reign supreme.

I could say the same thing about non-car enthusiasts and ask them to point out the radiator, or turbo, and they would be left scratching their heads.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
You're clutching at straws.

I mean, obviously? Those same people likely never owned a desktop PC to begin with in their lives because news flash: It's technically still a niche market. Most people are addicted to their tablets and smartphones nowadays, and consoles reign supreme.

I could say the same thing about non-car enthusiasts and ask them to point out the radiator, or turbo, and they would be left scratching their heads.
Exactly.
And if the radiator was Too Big to withstand shipping, and you were to have the buyer to install it when it was in the driveway, you'd get a similar reaction.
I'm supposed to do WHAT?

People buy prebuilt systems so they don't have to install the parts.
And desktop systems are not niche items.

It seems that you and I will agree to disagree.

Reactions: Order 66 and KyaraM

plusev

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2014
Exactly.
And if the radiator was Too Big to withstand shipping, and you were to have the buyer to install it when it was in the driveway, you'd get a similar reaction.
I'm supposed to do WHAT?

People buy prebuilt systems so they don't have to install the parts.
And desktop systems are not niche items.

It seems that you and I will agree to disagree.
I'm simply saying that assuming and implying that someone spending $3000+ on a prebuilt can't be bothered to educate themselves on the exact components and their requirements borders on extreme ignorance. It's basic, rudimentary knowledge. These are not kids.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm simply saying that assuming and implying that someone spending $3000+ on a prebuilt can't be bothered to educate themselves on the exact components and their requirements borders on extreme ignorance. It's basic, rudimentary knowledge. These are not kids.
That "ignorance" is exactly how CyberPowerPC and iBuyPower continue to exist.
People not cognizant of all the parts in the system, and just seeing the flashy stuff.

Years ago, I printed a screwjack to hold up the end of the GPU. Wasn't really needed for that system and GPU, but just because I could.

Manufacturers and retailers could include something like that for an added $0.50.

Nov 24, 2023
I hope to upgrade to 4090 or that level next year.

I switched to a Cube Case a few years back - Thermaltake Level 20 XT - that has horizontal MB and Vertical GPU mounting so hopefully that is one issue I won't ever have to face.

Unless the sheer weight is still allowing the Card to flex the connector area to one side of the other? I don't think the connector is actually centered between the sides of the frame/shroud?

Nov 24, 2023
I was going to get a 4090 at msrp but couldn't justify it being in my mid 30s. As a young adult, I would've purchased it, no question..i am satisfied with the AMD 7900xtx. I honestly couldn't tell the difference in average paced games. I'm playing modded nolvus skyrim currently and its been a dream. Maxed out getting 50-60 fps. No one needs maxed out everything. If you can afford it. Do it, but I have no regrets. Aloha

Reactions: atomicWAR

Tonet666

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
So, nobody going to mention that this article mistaken the Northwestrepair with NorthRidgeFix ?
Northwestrepair is a tech-channel that repairs only GPUs. Please correct the name.
Tony from Northwestrepair is very skilled with this type of board repair.

plusev

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2014
That "ignorance" is exactly how CyberPowerPC and iBuyPower continue to exist.
People not cognizant of all the parts in the system, and just seeing the flashy stuff.

Years ago, I printed a screwjack to hold up the end of the GPU. Wasn't really needed for that system and GPU, but just because I could.

Manufacturers and retailers could include something like that for an added $0.50.
Do you genuinely believe places like this are thriving, especially given the current economic climate? It's a failing business model... it's been running on fumes for ages. Whoever was responsible for shipping out these PC's dun goofed, either way.

This ^^^^^

But don't expect the manufacturers to accept any blame while laughing all the way to the bank. Better blame the user, as usual.

A 2-3 lbs, 3-4 slot behemoth of a GPU still using the same flimsy PCI connector that was fist used with 1 slot, 1/2 lb GPU!!

That's really on the PCIe SIG, but they can't create a stronger PCIe standard without affecting everything down to lightweight components unless they create a separate spec just for GPUs. That's not as terrible today as it would be 10 years ago since multiple GPU setups are dead outside professional environments, but I think the best solution is to go to vertical GPU mounting as standard.

Reactions: KyaraM
Status
Not open for further replies.