[SOLVED] Together, ram failed memtest, but passed indivually, but also odd crashing pattern

Jan 22, 2021
I built the following system about a month ago:

CPU: AMD 3900xt
MB: MPG x570 Gaming Edge WIFI
GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX3080
RAM: 2x G.SKill 32 GB DDR4 3600 CL18
Storage: 2x 1TB samsung 970 evo plus M.2 NVMe
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold
and some cooling stuff.

Things started out well, then I tried playing the most recent COD game (came with GPU purchase). The game kept crashing after a couple games (BOSD a couple times) and also had some random crashes when not gaming. I noticed a ntoskrnl.exe error causing two of the BOSD (not all created dumps). Some googling suggested I test the memory. I installed the free version of memtest86.

Note: For every memtest86 test I ran all 13 tests with 4 passes with XMP enabled (running at 3600).
Note: I realize there are other reasons why COD crashes (especially bocw), but I tried every fix I could find and nothing helped. Also, Paladins crashed once as well. Other games (HLL, SC2, CSGO) have never crashed.

I ran memtest with both sticks. I got a some errors. I thought, "okay it's probably my RAM causing these issues, but which stick?" So I removed one stick (B) and ran the test with the other stick (A). No errors, and I played multiple hours of COD with no crashing (never happened before). I thought, "stick B must be the crappy one". To double check, I removed stick A and insterted stick B into the same slot. I fired up COD and it crashed on my second game! I tried a couple more times and it kept consistently crashing. I thought, okay it must be stick B. But then I ran memtest on stick B, and it passed! 0_o I did some more googling and found that memtest HCI can be a little more rigorous. I ran that test last night with only stick B in sloat A2 (same slot as before). I ran in about 2000 MB chuncks across 16 instances. Its at about 450% and still no errors.

Now I don't really know what the issue is. Generally, I have read that having both sticks failing, but passing individually implies a mother board issue, but the crashing COD suggests stick B is bad.

I have three questions:
  1. Should I try and get my RAM replaced as it is under warranty, or is it not likely the issue?
  2. Are there other tests I should be doing or be doing?
  3. Maybe my RAM choice isn't compatible with my setup?
Thanks for any help :)

Solution
If G.Skill says that it is compatible, then it is. If it fails as a pair with MEMTEST86 then you will need to RMA the pair, memory is sold in kits that are tested together. Motherboard sites do not have the incentive to keep up with the latest memory, so not all of them show the newer models.

If it passes memtest86, then run a stress test using Prime95, which is free and has a specific CPU stress test. At the same time watch the temperatures with something like CoreTemp.
Jan 22, 2021
If your memory fails the free version of MEMTEST86 as a kit, RMA both sticks. It should have zero errors on 3-4 passes.

Exactly which G.Skill kit model number did you buy? Did you find it on your motherboard QVL list or your motherboard on the G.Skill QVL list?

The exact RAM is F4-3600C18D-64GVK and I bought them as a kit (2x32). On the G Skill website, my mother board (MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge Wifi) is listed as compatible. However, on the motherboard website, which I hadn't looked at before, my ram is not listed....hmmmmm. I thought the RAM website would be the better one to trust though?

RealBeast

Titan
If G.Skill says that it is compatible, then it is. If it fails as a pair with MEMTEST86 then you will need to RMA the pair, memory is sold in kits that are tested together. Motherboard sites do not have the incentive to keep up with the latest memory, so not all of them show the newer models.

If it passes memtest86, then run a stress test using Prime95, which is free and has a specific CPU stress test. At the same time watch the temperatures with something like CoreTemp.

Reactions: private_donkey
Solution
Jan 22, 2021

Will do and report back. It might take a couple days as I can only run the tests at night. Thanks!

Reactions: RealBeast

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Motherboard QVL is pretty lackluster by default, and it's not the motherboard vendors fault. There's a dozen different ram OEMs, hundred or so different Ram Vendors and Millions of sticks, kits, speeds, timings, colors, that make up different model numbers. And many times it's the same ram anyways.

You have F4-3600C18D-64GVK, that's not on mobo QVL, it's DDR4 - 3600 - Cas 18 - 2stick - 64Gb - RipJaws V - Black. The exact same ram in a 4stick kit might be F4-3600C18Q-128GVK. Same 32Gb sticks, but the D (dual kit) changes to Q (quad kit) or even F4-3600C18D-64GTZR where the ram is Trident Z RGB. Same guts, same SkHynix IC's, same everything, different heatsink. But that Is on the QVL.

So I'd put a lot more faith in the fact that Gskill, Micron, Kingston are some of the few ram vendors whom actually take the time to throw their sticks into a motherboard for testing, whereas most do not.

If both sticks work individually, but the pair gets errors, as @RealBeast said, RMA them. Gskill is very good about wanting to make the consumer happy.

Reactions: private_donkey