Tom is HONEST!

G

Shame on all the childish users bashing Tom for the real world reviews he has done on the P4. Some of the flames in the previous post are downright rediculous.

Tom has been a reliable source for product reviews since day one. He's been careful to weed out the gems from the duds, and I thank his for that.

Kudos to Tom and his staff. Keep up the great work.

Blaine

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Tom's original review was fine. It was pretty much in line with most of the other reviews around the net. What I take objection to is Tom fishing for better performance from the Pentium 4. I don't recall the Athlon or any other processor ever being afforded this extra effort to find something good about it. As AngusH said in another thread on this message board, code optmized for the Athlon as opposed to the normal P6 optimized code would show the Athlon outperforming both Intel processors by a very sizable margin. That being the case let's start soliciting tweaked code for the Athlon to see how it stands up to the Intel CPU's.

G

Granted, you are right. The benchmarks used for reviewing products should be unbiased to begin with. You have to admit tom took a bid risk in using the optimized flaskMpeg software without waiting to see if AMD could offer a tweaked version. He gives congrats to the Intel to providing and updated version so fast. I think he deserves credit for reviewing the new version right away too.

I think that's what the site is all about. He is providing a continuous review on this product as more facts come to light. That's what journalism is about.

OOPS! I could of sworn I set the core voltage right.

G

yep kudos to tom for keeping us on the front edge of technology, down know why there's so many ppl whinning, about everything. as toms says he'll keep updating his info, whenever new info is avaible. and he's doing a great job at doing that. looking forward to next piece :)

G

you mean to tell me that amd cpu is not optimized yet? what are you amd puppies waiting for? Optimizing a poorly written program is totally different from optimizing for a peticular cpu.

what do you need another hand count?

G

I have been a faithful reader of Tom since the beginning. I have seen numerous reviews done and read every article that is put up on the page. I think that Tom is doing a GREAT job with everything!! This type of work is hard to report on because it is not always cut and dry. I commend him and his staff for all of thir hard work and dedication to us the readers. I am not behind the scenes with them, but I know that it takes a lot more time to do all of these test then most people realize, and probobly a lot of furstration in the process to get a good review out. I for one appreciate all that he has done and is still doing for us the readers. So kudos to Tom and his staff!!!

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
True, Tom has done a great job with the P4 reviews. Showing bothe the upsides, downsides and future potential of the P4.
I wish Tom could get his hands on optimized flask code for AMD as well and see what it cranks out. Hopefully AMD will provide this to him soon and we can have a true winner in this benchmark.

Why do I use LINUX ? Cause its the BEST OS
Why do I use Windows? Cause its the BEST Nintendo..

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with praising Tom and his staff for their hard work. I know how hard it has been to get my latest and greatest system up and running stable. He is testing several systems with components that don't necessarily have their final drivers out yet. I don't envy that work but I am grateful for it. Everyone here should be too and not be so hard on Tom and his staff when they don't get every detail right the first time. Lighten up people!

James

G

i have not seen a post with anything but childish remarks on from the IloveAMD user yet, why don't you stop posting until you have something to say.....

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

G

I use Toms hardware as a great source if info, I do cross reference it with other sites but then if you want the whole picture it is always best to do so.....
Keep up the good work Tom..

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

G

If you check the updated Pentium 4 article, you will find that all 3 cpu's tested ran faster on the updated version of flaskMpeg. That means two things:

1. This program is not yet mature enough to consider it a reliable benchmark to test ANY cpu. If AMD and Intel start passing out versions optimized for one cpu or another, more variables are introduced into trying to obtain a fair platform to benchmark each product.

2. You can bet that hacked versions of this program will appear shortly, giving each user what they really want. (Faster framerates) This means FASTER software with the same cpu. Nobody better complain about that!

It has been shown that the AMD processors best the Intel offerings in most benchmarks. If you couple that with the fact that the Intel platforms are more expensive and have been designed with 'engineered obsolecence', it's hard not to grant AMD as the winner. If, in time, optimized software lets the P4 run faster than an AMD processor, Intel will win the crown.

For now, AMD IS THE BEST THERE IS!