Tomahawk b350 and fans

AdrianVaughan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2016
Hi, I have bought a MSI tomahawk b350 mother board and I have been looking at this m.2 slot the first question is if I buy one will it take any of the sata ports away/reduce the speed , will it reduce the performance of my graphics card. The second is cooling I have with the board a ryzen 1600 I have at the moment a h55 single 120mm fan aio , is that enough if I overclock. And third I have room for 4 case fans in new build ,the old build I have 4 sickle flow fans running at full speed would these be enough ? Or would I need a fan controller so the airflow is better ?

Thanks in advance from the comments/reply.

Solution
That's a good question. Normally the B350 exposes 6 sata ports, but this one only does 4. Meanwhile, it has an M.2 which would normally toss two of the SATA ports if it's in operation. If they put the M.2 on the 'disconnected' SATA ports, then theoretically you wouldn't lose anything.

What you need to do is read the manual. Check it as it will have the details on whether or not you'll lose SATA ports when installing M.2

Installing a M.2 drive would have zero effect on your GPU.

Ryzen 1600 is a 65w CPU. Your H55 is more than sufficient, even for some overclocking although Ryzen is not the best overclocker.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
That's a good question. Normally the B350 exposes 6 sata ports, but this one only does 4. Meanwhile, it has an M.2 which would normally toss two of the SATA ports if it's in operation. If they put the M.2 on the 'disconnected' SATA ports, then theoretically you wouldn't lose anything.

What you need to do is read the manual. Check it as it will have the details on whether or not you'll lose SATA ports when installing M.2

Installing a M.2 drive would have zero effect on your GPU.

Ryzen 1600 is a 65w CPU. Your H55 is more than sufficient, even for some overclocking although Ryzen is not the best overclocker.

Solution

AdrianVaughan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2016
and what about the case fans, with this positive or negative pressure and do the front fans need to spin faster than the exhaust fans ? as this is a first real build in a long time i want to get it right (for a change) lol.