Question Tomahawk B450 BIOS v1D will not cold boot while CPU is OC'd

A few days ago I updated my bios on my Tomahawk B450 to the latest bios as I plan on upgrading my r5 2600 to a 3600 in the next few weeks and just figured I would get a headstart.

I have since had to revert back to an older bios (v18 as its the last update before the switch to gse-lite bios and the mobo would NOT allow me to revert back to the original bios, v15) because for some reason if my cpu is overclocked, the system will not cold boot nor come out of sleep. The RBG lights and fans and all that start up, but the system will not have any display nor any ez debugs lights. But it works just fine on the older bios version.

I tried narrowing down the problem thinking maybe it was my ram but it turns out the issue only happens when either game boost is enabled in my bios, which auto OC's the cpu by 450mhz. Or I manually OC the CPU, by ANY amount.

It wasnt until AFTER I went back to the older bios that I read online that disabling fast boot could solve this issue. Im not going to go through all the reflashing again tonight but in a few weeks I am getting a r5 3600 so I will HAVE to flash my mobo when I get that cpu and I will try disabling fast boot and seeing if that fixes the issue.

MY QUESTIONS ARE
  • Are there any known solutions to this issue?
  • If not, what could be causing this problem? Its obviously a problem with the BIOS but could fast boot be stopping me from cold booting while I have a CPU OC like I read online?
  • If I have this same issue when I get my new CPU would it even be worth it or would I have to buy a new board that doesnt have a buggy bios?
  • Could the issue be contained to 2nd gen ryzen and maybe Ill have better luck on gen3?
Please shed some light on this please! Im not very knowledgeable when it comes to motherboards and what makes them act buggy so if anyone could help me out that would be great! Thanks ahead of time!

MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B450
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T2
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super OC 3x Windforce White (8pin only version)
MEMORY: HyperX RGB 2x8gb DDR4 3000mhz
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 250gb / 500gb Seagate / 1tb Samsung 860 Qvo
PSU: Corsair cx550m
WIN: Windows 10 Pro
Case Cooling: Antec Prizm 3x 120mm rgb case fans with controller and 2 RGB strips / 1 default 120mm case fan

Your overclock failed. Your using two of these?
HX430C15FB3/8
https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX430C15FB3_8.pdf

What is the memory running at? XMP enabled?

Sorry to sound rude but, did you even read the thread? Its the bios itself not the overclock.

And no Im using hyperx hx430c15fb3ak2/16 (2x8gb). 3000mhz cl15. Manual OC not xmp.

The issue obly happens WITH THE "New" BIOS when the cpu is overclocked. When reverting back to an older bios the issue dissapears.

Temp never goes above 62c.

Last edited:
Yes, I read the thread. "the issue only happens when either game boost is enabled in my bios, which auto OC's the cpu by 450mhz. Or I manually OC the CPU, by ANY amount.".

You seem to think it's nothing you've done, it's the motherboard fault that it won't boot when overclocked and blame the BIOS itself.

One suggestion is not to try overclocking with that cooler.

Another suggestion is not to change BIOS versions just for the sake of it having a newer date. When a BIOS update is for:
Support Ryzen 3000 series CPU.
Ryzen 9 3900X/Ryzen 7 3800X/Ryzen 7 3700X/Ryzen 5 3600X/Ryzen 5 3600/Ryzen 5 3400G/Ryzen 3 3200G

You do the update to that version but don't install one of those processors. However, it ran and booted okay with no overclocking.

Overclocks failing is when BIOS settings won't allow the PC to boot. That was the original question about not booting ONLY when overclocked.

I tried to determine what your two sticks of memory were and what they were running at. The latter you didn't answer.

Yes, I read the thread. "the issue only happens when either game boost is enabled in my bios, which auto OC's the cpu by 450mhz. Or I manually OC the CPU, by ANY amount.".

You seem to think it's nothing you've done, it's the motherboard fault that it won't boot when overclocked and blame the BIOS itself.

One suggestion is not to try overclocking with that cooler.

Another suggestion is not to change BIOS versions just for the sake of it having a newer date. When a BIOS update is for:
Support Ryzen 3000 series CPU.
Ryzen 9 3900X/Ryzen 7 3800X/Ryzen 7 3700X/Ryzen 5 3600X/Ryzen 5 3600/Ryzen 5 3400G/Ryzen 3 3200G

You do the update to that version but don't install one of those processors. However, it ran and booted okay with no overclocking.

Overclocks failing is when BIOS settings won't allow the PC to boot. That was the original question about not booting ONLY when overclocked.

I tried to determine what your two sticks of memory were and what they were running at. The latter you didn't answer.

You obviously are not reading the thread, or my replys to you properly.

I clearly told you in a reply what my memory was, and the speed.

And if the overclock works on 1 bios, and not the other, then ITS NOT THE OVERCLOCK. Its the BIOS itself stopping the oc from working....

The COOLER is NOT the issue....... the cpu never goes over 62c...... and if the pc cannot cold boot when overclocked BECAUSE OF THE BUGGY BIOS, then how could that lead to a COOLER issue when the BIOS temp is never over 33c? On top of that, if I set the overclock, and then hit "save settings and reboot" THE SYSTEM STARTS FINE! Only when I try to cold boot or remove from sleep do I have an issue with the new bios while overclocked. But I can continously "restart" the system just fine...

Also just because the bios is updated to accomodate newer cpus, does NOT mean it should stop stably supporting the previous cpus it was already supporting.... I updated the bios because Im getting the 3600 in a couple weeks. Not just to have a "new date"

Im looking for help to see if theres already a known solution to this bios version with overclocks. Troubleshooting coolers with no overheating is not the solution.

Huge lack of communication on your part my friend. Start reading the replies and the thread in full before throwing out random suggestions.

The system restarts fine if not turned completely off. Also 0 issues while in windows. But if I turn the computer completely off, then start it again, it dont start. Same for trying to take it out of sleep mode. Temps never go above 62c. And the "OC" is literally just putting all of the cores at their max boost clocks, not over. Same settings on the older bios, NO ISSUES.

Its the bios.

Last edited: