[SOLVED] Tomahawk B550 Infinite BIOS Flash

Dec 23, 2020
I'm trying to use the USB flash method to update my motherboard so I can use my 5800x. I format the drive to Fat32 and use the MBR partition scheme, insert the drive into the highlighted port, and press the button. The motherboard flashes for a little bit and then the lights turn on and the indicator starts blinking faster. It then stays in this phase indefinitely. I have tried 5 different drives with all attempts taking an hour before I shut it down. To test if maybe the motherboard is the problem after my 10th attempt or so I purposefully formatted the drive wrong. Curiously, instead of erroring out the motherboard still went on with the process and is currently out there flashing. Been around 20 minutes on this attempt.

Things I have tried.

• Resetting CMOS, both by shorting the pins and removing the battery
  • Formatting with windows, Rufus and bootice
  • A 32, 16, 8, 8 and 2 GB drive
  • Beta bios version, second newest and third newest.
  • With only 24 pin and CPU power connected
  • With entire PC built
  • Quick formatting and slow formatting
  • Naming MSI.ROM
  • Making sure its the only file in the root directory
Literally any help would be appreciate I've done everything I can imagine. Thankyou

Solution
I'm trying to use the USB flash method to update my motherboard so I can use my 5800x. I format the drive to Fat32 and use the MBR partition scheme, insert the drive into the highlighted port, and press the button. The motherboard flashes for a little bit and then the lights turn on and the indicator starts blinking faster. It then stays in this phase indefinitely. I have tried 5 different drives with all attempts taking an hour before I shut it down. To test if maybe the motherboard is the problem after my 10th attempt or so I purposefully formatted the drive wrong. Curiously, instead of erroring out the motherboard still went on with the process and is currently out there flashing. Been around 20 minutes on this attempt.

Things I...

Things I have tried.

• Resetting CMOS, both by shorting the pins and removing the battery
  • Formatting with windows, Rufus and bootice
  • A 32, 16, 8, 8 and 2 GB drive
  • Beta bios version, second newest and third newest.
  • With only 24 pin and CPU power connected
  • With entire PC built
  • Quick formatting and slow formatting
  • Naming MSI.ROM
  • Making sure its the only file in the root directory
Literally any help would be appreciate I've done everything I can imagine. Thankyou
You need that 8-pin ATX 12V power connector connected, it supplies power to CPU and Memory and other components.
Did you unzip BIOS file before copying to USB ?

Solution