Tom's Definitive Linux Software Roundup: Image Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

darktable is a good alternative to existing products for both management and processing of photos...missing that one in this roundup.

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
dont know exactly why but i never tried Linux i guess its time to take a test drive, thanks toms for this article.

G

Great article. Its always hard to locate programs when friends ask for good free ones. This will help immensity. Now I'll just point them to this source. Thanks!

G

Picasa is avaiable for Linux...handles RAW images and provides some basic editing capabilities and organization.

jamesontoms

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Either I'm out of date,
or Toms Hardware overlooked the three image viewers I use in Debian.
I have used their features
slideshow
full screen

a. feh
feh -D 5 #gives a slideshow, changing every 5 seconds
feg 0t #Uses the thumbnail approach
n and p for next and previous image
b. qiv
-R #so you don't accidently delete a file within qiv ("u" to undelete)
-s #start a slideshow
+/- #zoom
f #full screen

c. xzgv

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]sudeshc[/nom]dont know exactly why but i never tried Linux i guess its time to take a test drive, thanks toms for this article.[/citation]
Yeah give it a try.You can use the Try Ubuntu method or install it instead on a older secondary PC.It's definitely worthwhile and easy.I've been using it on a couple of systems since version 8.04.

G

Since you're using Blender as an alternative to Maya, I think it's worth mentioning that Autodesk Maya 2011 64bit is officially supported in both RHEL 5.4 and Fedora 11, the latter being completely free.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Really enjoyed the article and am looking forward to the sound one. I love the Gimp, and use it regularly. Some other apps on this list I hadn't heard of or realized a need for their function. Now I have some new software to try out when I get home.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
feh, qiv, xzgv, Dark Table, and Kolour Paint were removed for one reason or another (see page 2). It looks like MyPaint, gpicview, and Picassa slipped under the radar, and all three appear to be pretty sweet. I've never heard of the first two before, but can't believe I missed Picassa - sorry everyone. Like I said in the intro, there are ALOT of these apps for Linux.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I would like to see more of these articles. Much of the reason (beyond gaming) that even techies often don't use Linux is that they don't know what programs are out there to use. I'd like to see audio programs next (players, library managers, editors, etc), then move on to video software, productivity (word processors, spread sheets, etc), and so on.

ohseus

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Hopefully it wont take four months for the next article.
Please tel me a writer didn't actually use a lot as one word.

Status
Not open for further replies.