Tom's Definitive Linux Software Roundup: Internet Apps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]CharlesXuma[/nom]p.s : GAMERS NOT INCLUDED[/citation]

PC Gamers are pretty much hijacked by Microsoft. Nonetheless, M$ were doing very good jobs since around 2000 with releases and updates of DirectX to push the technology further, while OpenGL was left in the quagmire until two years ago. Even now, we have to admit that Windows is doing much better when it comes to software-based, API-layer audio mixer, driver support and functionality.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Thanks for the list toms!If this where an article that covered all programs it wouldn't be up by 100%, but 100x.There are nearly 1000 free apps for Linux, and a couple of hundred payed or semi payed apps.It also greatly differs from which version of Linux. Most apps talked about here work in a gnome/denian based Linux. There's also Slaxx, or redhat based linux.Programs that work in Ubuntu may not always work in Mandriva, or DSL.But it's a good list of options in case I would want to switch to a Buntu style Linux.[/citation]
Thanks, no problem, and there's more to come. The reason we have to put limits on the distros is because there are like 700 active ones. I just can't deal with that, by the time I got through 30 of them, the first 10 would have new versions, LOL... progress. Also, I used Ubuntu as the primary reference, but opened up the apps to openSUSE, and Fedora as well. Between the top 3 they cover the lion's share of Linux users. Sure Slackware and Debian have been around for a long time, but [right now] the percentage of users on Slackware is negligible compared to the top 3.

Debian is handled in a roundabout way through Ubuntu, for a great many compatibilities will hold true to Debian from Ubuntu coverage. Mint is out for the same reason, Ubuntu coverage will hold true to Mint. Until Debian or Mint overtake Ubuntu in popularity, I'm speaking to more people with Ubuntu. Nearly the same situation happens with CentOS, Mandriva, and PCLinuxOS for Fedora. So unless some of these derivative or ancestor distros overtake their popular kin, it's just too redundant and time-consuming to justify reaching such a small amount of people for minor differences. Basically the same reason most tech publications center on Windows, whether they mean to or not - they're reaching 90% of people with one shot, whereas doing the extra work to add Mac coverage takes the same amount of time and money but only nets 7% of users. However, the top 3 can change at anytime and I have absolutely no loyalty to any product, free or otherwise, so my Linux coverage will change to reflect the user base as that base changes.

Honestly, I wish I could cover more, specifically Arch, Sabayon, and the aforementioned Slackware in an effort for total coverage. Unfortunately, 1) it's just not feasible, I'd need a staff! and 2) those three distros really wouldn't work in a user-friendly app guide. AFAIK, they are source distros and if you already know how to do that... well, let me put it like this: I'm doing Linux coverage on TH because I don't really care to spend my time preaching to the converted. To me, the new-user route just seems like the right thing to do in the current climate with Linux once again trying to break into the mainstream.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]syedcdp[/nom]At last, I see an article related Linux after a very long time on TH. Did I miss any articles btw?[/citation]
Nope, AFAIK the install guide was the only one before this. Some news stories probably snuck past you, no features though.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]freeman70[/nom]You should add utorrent running as a wine app. It works well in ubuntu.Also, there are a lot of windows apps that run quite well under wine so many users needn't think that their one favorite window app will be lost forever. Other apps you should consider are Sun's VirtualBox for running virtual machines. I have to tip my hat to them. It works really well and is relatively easy to set up. I run an XP virtual machine and it is quite useful for running old games and certain windows apps that don't run well with wine. I usually only boot my original XP install to play the latest games.Lastly, use ubuntu with compiz and some effects enabled for a day and then come and post about the usability and effectiveness of its UI.[/citation]
I'll get around to virtualization and emulation later on down the road, after I cover the native options.

charlesxuma

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
seriously adam overa thank you, iv been a tomshardware/guide fan for 3 years now, and the only thing missing was a linux coverage, i cant believe we'll be getting ALL we could possibly need from 1 site alone.

although if this keeps up maybe you'll need a special section in the forums, for different linux discussions, advice, and fixes. (just a thought)

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]CharlesXuma[/nom]seriously adam overa thank you, iv been a tomshardware/guide fan for 3 years now, and the only thing missing was a linux coverage, i cant believe we'll be getting ALL we could possibly need from 1 site alone.although if this keeps up maybe you'll need a special section in the forums, for different linux discussions, advice, and fixes. (just a thought)[/citation]
And a good one too! I'll bring it up to my editor, last I checked the Linux section of the forums was heavily dated. I'll have to figure out who's in charge of the forums department...

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
CharlesXuma:

There is a Linux/FreeBSD section under the software category in the forums, and someone has already updated the sticky "chose a distro" post. You can choose to submit a thread as either a question, discussion, or poll. Well, that was quick. LOL

G

It would be cool to do a review of Monodevelop 2.0, it's a great product, especially since 2.0 came out. Anybody who uses Visual Studio will feel right at home using Monodevelop. Installing the Windows version of the MonoFramework into WINE also makes all sorts of applications work that didn't work before, since it satisfies nearly all .NET dependencies for Windows applications. The MonoFramework should be included with WINE IMHO, it is a winning combination.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]mono_fantranny[/nom]It would be cool to do a review of Monodevelop 2.0, it's a great product, especially since 2.0 came out. Anybody who uses Visual Studio will feel right at home using Monodevelop. Installing the Windows version of the MonoFramework into WINE also makes all sorts of applications work that didn't work before, since it satisfies nearly all .NET dependencies for Windows applications. The MonoFramework should be included with WINE IMHO, it is a winning combination.[/citation]
What kinds of apps work better with mono installed? Do u install the mono .exe under WINE, or install the Linux version and hook it up to WINE somehow?

uadrive

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I just happened onto this article using my Google ig RSS reader. Loved the article. It gave me some ideas for applications on my Ubuntu machine which I've been running for a few years now.

I run OS X, XP and Ubuntu at home. It's a crazy mix, and I use each for their needs. OS X is new to me since I began writing Apps with it. My XP machine has turned into a server for testing web apps and running QuickBooks. I also run warcrack(WoW) on it occassionally when my wife steals my MacBook. I just can't give it up. My Ubuntu machine is by far my most used machine. I've customized it to suit my particular needs and have found an application for almost anything.

One comments about the article. You may want to consider FireFTP in the FTP apps. I know it's just an add-on to FireFox, but more and more I'm finding people treating it like a full blown application not to mention that it can also be run on Windows, OS X and Linux distros that have FireFox on it.

I can't wait to see your article on options and customizations. Good article!

G

adam: Download the version of Mono for Windows here:

http://ftp.novell.com/pub/mono/archive/2.4.2.3/windows-installer/3/mono-2.4.2.3-gtksharp-2.12.9-win32-3.exe

Then install it as a Windows App into WINE. For starters, the popular audio production software Ableton Live works once you install mono, but there's many others(I don't know of a comprehensive list ), but that's the only one I really use, since I pretty much get everything I need done in native Linux. The mono framework is great because it is it a free, open source alternative to installing the .NET framework, which drives pretty much all applications that were written in Visual Studio.

G

what about usenet readers like pan, etc? something like newsbin for windows.

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
[citation][nom]ibnsina[/nom]No doubt Linux is more stable and reliable than Windows, however where it falls behind is graphics user interface and usability. A simplified and cut down version of Linux should be made for the mass market, with a smooth user-friendly GUI that can match Windows. Even then it would be still unlikely Linux can threat windows, because the dollar rules, major software companies are here to make money.[/citation]

you have no clue :)

there's a guy for everybody in linux (or better said window manager + shell). you just have to work on the right combination.

truth is, after 10 years with linux I did not find mine, but xfce4 comes very close. I am too lazy to configure the more powerfull ones to my liking.

presidenteody

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I swear everyone who uses Linux thinks they are the shit! I don't know, maybe they are, its just an OS and it depends on what you are doing with it that matters the most.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]Which version of ubuntu linux is this?[/citation]
In order to test drive the feature sets of these applications, and to determine 64-bit friendliness, I used a native (non-VM) and fully-updated installation of 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04. When an application was not available for the 64-bit architecture, I used the 32-bit VM installation of Ubuntu. If that failed I would use Kubuntu, then Fedora, and then openSUSE.

Sharft6

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I think the only thing a lot of us windows users buy is also the hardware :p btw DownThemAll is a pretty cool download manager but it needs firefox

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]adamovera[/nom]CharlesXuma:There is a Linux/FreeBSD section under the software category in the forums, and someone has already updated the sticky "chose a distro" post. You can choose to submit a thread as either a question, discussion, or poll. Well, that was quick. LOL[/citation]
Adam, feel free to add to the "choose a distro" thread. Additions to the new sticky stagnated and nobody has had the time to do anything with it since it was made. If you can write a better sticky then by all means go ahead and I'll replace the current one.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]C 64[/nom]There already is an cut down version of Linux with a smooth user friendly GUI - it is called OS X (the mass market aspect is questionable though) .[/citation]
OSX is not Linux. OSX is closer to BSD than Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.