Tom's Explains: What Do 80 PLUS Bronze, Silver, Gold & Titanium Signify?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
I don't really see anything wrong with PSU measurements being done at ~23C, that's a typical office temperature. Standby power measurement isn't particularly relevant since that will depend on how many loads actually end up connected to the 5VSB rail and enabled, such as wake-on-lan/keyboard/mouse, charging-capable ports and other accessories. There isn't much point in the PSU being sub-100mW standby on its own when the assembled system may have in excess of 10W in standby loads. As for the 'fake efficiency badges', 80+ is a voluntary program, it doesn't have the authority to impose sanctions on companies, the only thing they can do is sue for trademark violations. Even UL marks which have a much stronger international standing due to being safety-related also get faked by Chinese manufacturers all the time on stuff drop-shipped from China due to low probabilities of getting caught by customs. If UL and equivalent marks which are required by law in many countries can't stop fake marks, a voluntary program like 80+ or any other would-be replacements stand no chance in hell.

InvalidError

Titan

Who bothers to check that list? Valid UL marks are a far greater deal, when's the last time you ever consulted the UL directory to make sure the UL mark on something you bought was legit? I'm probably the only person I know who does, mostly only when I buy stuff from questionable sources.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
It's not always the PSU draw room temperature air.
In some cases the air is heated by the GPU and CPU before entering the PSU, so efficiency at higher temperatures should also be considered..

As mentioned, the 5VSB rail is also ignored.
Both standby power and 5VSB are relevant for computers that spend a lot of time in off or hibernation modes.

I'd say it's not particularly "voluntary" to carry an 80Plus badge on the product.
Virtually nobody would nowadays buy a PSU without it!
Of course there should be sancions against those using false badges. Public presentation being one such "sanction".

InvalidError

Titan

Requiring that PSUs have a 100mW standby power draw is pointless when the PSU will be connected to a motherboard under real-world circumstances and the green LED on most motherboards already draws 30-50mW on top of that. Even if you went out of your way to disable all of the "phantom loads" your motherboard's BIOS allows you to, you'll likely have several times more power going to other ancillary functions. I measured the 5VSB current in one of my spare PCs and got 300mA after plugging the PSU in, that's 1.5W in the hardware's default 5VSB-up state.

If you are genuinely worried about the PSU's power draw in the off/hibernate state, turn the PSU off altogether. Otherwise, phantom loads throughout the PC dictate most of what that power draw will be, not the PSU unless it is exceptionally bad.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
And if those 1.5 W are delivered at 50% efficiency that's 3.0 W drawn from the wall socket, per USB unit connected!
Over a year all of that waste energy from thousands of computers worldwide adds up to significant numbers.

InvalidError

Titan

That 1.5W is for the motherboard alone - it had absolutely nothing else connected to it. If you are worried about $3/year (1W ~= $1/year at $0.10/kWh) in PC standby/off power draw, unplug the PSU or turn off the power strip. There you go, zero power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS