Tom's Explains: What Do RGB+W And RGB+WW Mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

It sounds like an emo site lol.

-edited by rubix_1011 to purge spam URL.

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
"Toms Hardware: For the hardcore PC Enthusiast" - > Publishes articles on front page explaining the very basic of every modern computer display (LED panels)....

Did we just hit the new low on THW?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Not everyone that visits the site is an expert of every single possible component. We have a lot of very casual readers or those who typically only follow certain components since that is what they know.

TheFluffyDog

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
"very basic of every modern computer display".......

There are very few displays that actually use RGB diodes. The displays that do are extremely expensive 10bit professional displays. Current LED displays simply means that the lamp lighting behind the LCD's is replaced with LED. The LED lighting is brighter, and whiter allowing for better colors. There is still an LCD panel that actually creates the color, not the LED's. These LCD's are given by TN, IPS, VA, AMVA and other LCD panel technologies, but are in no way using colored diodes.

TheFluffyDog

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
And further to that, the post explains the difference between the W and WW tags on the RGB systems. Which is even something that even most LCD panels cant display. For instance, if you go to the store right now and take a gander at top of the line 4k panels from Samsung and Sony, they are not using any form of W or WW in the actual color generation. I cant off the top of my head remember if the LG OLED panels are using RGB or RGB+W but i do remember hearing about +W coming to market. Not sure if it ever made it to a production model though.

Status
Not open for further replies.