Tom's Guide: 10 Desktop Bittorrent Clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemlo

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
I've been using utorrent for as long as I can remember and even after reading through this I still see absolutely no reason to change that.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]06yfz450ridr[/nom]utorrent is the best. i like the fact most sites now have an option for a bit torrent download link for free programs etc[/citation]
I agree. But only for the utorrent v.2.2.1. Anything released afterwards are total bloatware. You can still see some indications of utorrent becoming a bloatware even in v.2.2.1.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]cbrunnem[/nom]people use bittorrents for legal material!?!?!?[/citation]

where have you been for the last 10 years? did you finally come out of your hole to look for your shadow?

alot of my clients kids use bit torrent to d/l free to play games and distribute movies THEY MADE.

it was actually such a great thing i started using it for videos i made on tutorials and games i played futball and paintball and such; for about 6 years now.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
Stevenlord; actually, i would have to disagree on the basis that BitTorrent technologies are implimented into many online MMOs nowadays to distribute updates (ahem* World of Warcraft) so by that measure I'd say use of Bit Torrent Technologies are roughly on par with quasi-legal and illegal usage. This was a big deal some years back as ISPs were getting railed with average-McUser complaints about their ISP blocking the technologies on the basis of their parent companies thinking exactly how you do, as in "OMG BitTorrent is pirating technology we must stop it now!" and had to face the tune of nearly 20million subscribers across those ISPs pummeling their Customer Service lines with complaints about how their legitimately paid-for service is being screwed up by paranoid ISPs and their parent companies.

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah and? They all use their own built in software to download it. Saying everyone uses torrents for linux is like saying you buy Playboy for the articles.

Arctikuma

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
I had been using uTorrent for a very long time and today I decide to try qBittorrent. The reason is that, with very update, uTorrent has been trying to use trickeries to add toolbars, advertisements, and basically things beyond users' control. For example, the lastest version doesn't allow users to choose where to install the program. Why? Because they have implement auto-update feature which will only work if UAC is bypassed. Yes, uTorrent gives you "option" to disable this feature, but who knows what it's doing behind. Remember UAC is a security measure to protect windows users from unintentionally running untrusted applications. And the worst part is that you cannot uninstall uTorrent using windows uninstaller. What a joke this is. I've completely lost my trust to this ludicrous developer.

Status
Not open for further replies.