Tom's Guide: Android Performance Tips & Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Disappointed. Just a bunch of apps that do things you can do yourself with minimal effort, most of them redundant.

I was expecting things like undervolting and overclocking. You know, things that actually improve your battery life and performance. Clearing apps out of memory does little for your phone's performance and makes apps start up slower.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Tip #1: Buy a fast phone with ICS or JB.

As much as I love Android, it's a different experience depending on what you use. Compare a cheap phone with 2.2 Froyo and 256mb of RAM to a older premium phone like a Droid X 512mb running 2.3 GB then compare that to a Galaxy S3 with 4.0 ICS and 2GB of RAM. There is no comparing to each other. I have to say it wasn't until ICS came out that I thought that Android was finally "comparable" to iOS as far as performance and reliability. The only good news is that you can actually download new apps on your old phone whereas once an iPhone loses support your apps won't update.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]I have to say it wasn't until ICS came out that I thought that Android was finally "comparable" to iOS as far as performance and reliability.[/citation]
Actually, with half an afternoon of work most phones are just as smooth as the GS3.

Step 1. Root your phone.
Step 2. Install a custom ROM and kernel that allows overclocking and undervolting.
Step 3. Set a profile to downclock the CPU while idle and overclock it while in use.
Step 4. Enjoy your blazing fast Android phone with doubled battery life.

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Disappointed. Just a bunch of apps that do things you can do yourself with minimal effort, most of them redundant.I was expecting things like undervolting and overclocking. You know, things that actually improve your battery life and performance. Clearing apps out of memory does little for your phone's performance and makes apps start up slower.[/citation]
Actually, not half bad for an Apple-oriented website. Enthusiasts know better to go to other sites for more in-depth coverage.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Actually, with half an afternoon of work most phones are just as smooth as the GS3.Step 1. Root your phone.Step 2. Install a custom ROM and kernel that allows overclocking and undervolting.Step 3. Set a profile to downclock the CPU while idle and overclock it while in use.Step 4. Enjoy your blazing fast Android phone with doubled battery life.[/citation]

Actually I flashed and rooted my Droid X with a custom ICS (liquid) and it ran pretty good but it was still spotty in performance and I had enough of it. Plus having a 4G phone is great, I'm getting 12mbs.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Actually, not half bad for an Apple-oriented website. Enthusiasts know better to go to other sites for more in-depth coverage.[/citation]
you are completely right
my visit to this website had reduced from 5-10 a day to probably only once and I tend to not click on the apple links anymore i don't the one sided Amateur Journalism and click generating misleading news titles and fanatic cultist follower one sided news, this website is not what it use to be,
You see when Jane who was one of the few who had a non biased point of view of news had joined the flock of the click generator bunch by publishing apple rumors you know this website is no longer worth the amount of visit,

[citation][nom]aracheb[/nom]you are completely rightmy visit to this website had reduced from 5-10 a day to probably only once and I tend to not click on the apple links anymore i don't the one sided Amateur Journalism and click generating misleading news titles and fanatic cultist follower one sided news, this website is not what it use to be, You see when Jane who was one of the few who had a non biased point of view of news had joined the flock of the click generator bunch by publishing apple rumors you know this website is no longer worth tree amount of visit,[/citation]

While Toms apparently has no editors, typos are rampant, fact checking is minimal, and their "journalists" are incredibly poor, they do occasionally do something useful. However your English, grammar, and spelling are absolutely atrocious. More of a failure than Toms could ever muster

G

thanks for the tips and tricks Jane,

if you don't mind we will discuss it on our android performance blog

Android Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.