Tom's Guide: Tips for Living Without the Optical Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Torrent, the best file and multimedia repository.
...and just observed when making this post, when I move the cursor using the keyboard arrows, the article also scrolls sideways.

yhikum

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Why would you bother with media that would easily get damaged and require regular maintenance when accessing it?

Current alternatives to optical disks include stationary hard-drives in different access factors: USB, NAS on network or plain SATA. There is always SD card or flash drive sticks available for smaller file content.

Aside from being a relic, optical drives can be used to copy data onto easily readable medium as above listed. Most game content and even media, such as songs, are already distributed digitally. Why bother with optical storage? And why not re-invent optical storage with speeds to match SATA!

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
The worst part about optical drives is that they cause every case manufacturer to waste a huge chunk of space to dedicated room for not only 1, but many optical drives. Come on, people! This is 2013! Just let the things die already!

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Optical drives are outdated. They should have been removed completely when USB flashdrives of sufficient capacities were available.
Sigh...
I still have an OD in my laptop, but I basically never use it.
The only time I needed it was once in the past several years, and even then, it was because someone else who primarily uses optical discs needed some help.

I keep trying to tell people 'get rid of it, its uselessly occupying the space inside a computer, especially when there are flash drives and external hard disks that can save your data in much larger quantities, read it far faster, and there is no danger of the data suddenly becoming unreadable (unlike on discs which are prone to scratches, etc.).

I find it absurd that some universities, etc. require data copying onto the optical discs, especially if the data is only a few megabytes large - its a waste of media for one thing and an email would have been faster.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Optical drives are outdated. They should have been removed completely when USB flashdrives of sufficient capacities were available.
Sigh...
I still have an OD in my laptop, but I basically never use it.
The only time I needed it was once in the past several years, and even then, it was because someone else who primarily uses optical discs needed some help.

I keep trying to tell people 'get rid of it, its uselessly occupying the space inside a computer, especially when there are flash drives and external hard disks that can save your data in much larger quantities, read it far faster, and there is no danger of the data suddenly becoming unreadable (unlike on discs which are prone to scratches, etc.).

I find it absurd that some universities, etc. require data copying onto the optical discs, especially if the data is only a few megabytes large - its a waste of media for one thing and an email would have been faster.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

No risk of Hard drives becoming unreadable!!! Go knock around in the forums and you'll get a different picture of reality. Optical Disk Reliability is FAR better than wobbly magnetic hard drives!

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Also, I and many many others will still need Optical Drives because of the slow download speeds, our big library of optical drives, and the horrendous quality of downloaded stuff right now.

However, I do agree that the time has come for the internal optical drive to die, if there is a good alternative to the space. What will you use the lack of external bays on a tower case for? More fans to cool what already is decently cooled? Weight savings on a Laptop sound reasonable though. So as long as there is no BENEFIT of canning the drive bays on a tower, the optical drive lives on there.

Either way though, this should not be a problem to anybody, as light laptops for ODD haters do exist, and external drives are sleek, light, and fast with usb3. No conflict, no problem, everybody's happy.

One of my favorite win8 features is native VHD and VCD/ISO mounting. Copied all of my discs to my HDD, and when I need them I just right click and mount.

Only issue is of course older games which have disc based DRM which seems not to copy over to an ISO, but those are not only few and far between, but rarely played because my tower is in a completely different room, and I rarely care to get up to find the disc and put it in when there are so many other games to play that do not have that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.