Tom's Hardware and AMD Overclocking Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Don't you mean Liquid helium? no? Anyways, i'm gonna go grab my secret stash of athlon chips and liquid nitrogen out of my closet and start OC'in..

man, wish i could though, im stuck with a Q6600 @ 3GHZ watercooled (28 celcius idle, 40 celcius load)... which isn't THAT bad.. i dont think.. this P5N-D motherboard blows though, so unstable.. like me when im mad..

joex444

Distinguished
Huh, 3GHz with water? I have my Q6600 at 3.24GHz on air, and I'm using a GA-965-DQ6, sort of an outdated chipset. Of course this is stable, over a year with no problems to report.

And yeah, liquid helium would be better. I mean it is 4-5K as opposed to liquid hydrogen's

adrianmk2

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]adrianmk2[/nom]heh i got my (400x9)1.53volts Q6600 @ 3.6 on air Xigmatek cooler i hit 60-65 on full load idle around 38-42 also running a GigaByte X48 DS5 mobo with 8 gigs of Geil PC6400 Dragon ram 5-5-5-18[/citation]

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I wonder how many of us actually have that CPU and are actually willing to competitively overclock which may end up with a frying a few CPU's. Also its clear that very few will use liquid nitrogen or liquid helium and its really no point in competing with those that will.

I have to be honest I don't think this was the best contest idea you guys could have come up with.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
lmao whoa whoa whoa, i wasn't bragging lol.. I have it on water cooling because the CPU I had before was older and seriously OC'd, but now i stick with the water because.. you can't go wrong.. unless it leaks.. then you can go VERY wrong. depending on the liquid really.. Anyways, i had it at 3.6GHZ, but it was heating up to 75 under load WITH water.. voltage was raping the CPU i think

G

"Don't you mean Liquid helium?"

LN2: -196C
LH2: −253C
LHe2: -269C

They probably did mean helium, tho its not really any more dangerous then liquid nitrogen. So long as you have ample ventilation anyway, wouldn't want to suffocate if the concentration got too high. Liquid hydrogen however would be quite dangerous because its flammable, so hydrogen would definitely be for the brave.....there would just be no practical reason to use hydrogen tho.

What im wondering is why no one ever uses a sealed box when they do super cooling. Stop wasting time trying to protect the board form condensation.

Throw the mobo in a sealed container and replace the air inside with nitrogen or argon or something so you have no moisture to worry about in the first place. That would be much easier to setup then trying to screw around with vasoline, or whatever they want to spread over the board to protect it.

trainreks

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
[citation][nom]dfgdgdfg[/nom]"Don't you mean Liquid helium?"LN2: -196CLH2: −253CLHe2: -269CThey probably did mean helium, tho its not really any more dangerous then liquid nitrogen. So long as you have ample ventilation anyway, wouldn't want to suffocate if the concentration got too high. Liquid hydrogen however would be quite dangerous because its flammable, so hydrogen would definitely be for the brave.....there would just be no practical reason to use hydrogen tho.What im wondering is why no one ever uses a sealed box when they do super cooling. Stop wasting time trying to protect the board form condensation.Throw the mobo in a sealed container and replace the air inside with nitrogen or argon or something so you have no moisture to worry about in the first place. That would be much easier to setup then trying to screw around with vasoline, or whatever they want to spread over the board to protect it.[/citation]

and the cables would come out from where ?

Anyways the 9950 like all phenoms suffers from the cold bug, so I dont expect there to be much of a competiton.

megabuster

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
[citation][nom]dfgdgdfg[/nom]
LN2: -196C
LH2: −253C
LHe2: -269C[/citation]

A small correction He doesn't form He2 since it's an enert gas

G

@megabuster
Actually, at very low temperatures (ie, 4 degrees above absolute zero), helium exists as a diatomic molecule.

G

I like AMD and their products, I have a Phenom 9500 and intend to upgrade to a Phenom II once the quadcore black edition AM3 variants are released, but why have a competition with the 9950? AFAIK, doesn't it have a cold bug? I just don't understand why they wouldn't skip the 9950 altogether and go straight to the 940.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Phenom_F_T_W[/nom]I like AMD and their products, I have a Phenom 9500 and intend to upgrade to a Phenom II once the quadcore black edition AM3 variants are released, but why have a competition with the 9950? AFAIK, doesn't it have a cold bug? I just don't understand why they wouldn't skip the 9950 altogether and go straight to the 940.[/citation]

Not to mention limited the contest to one certain CPU at a time simply doesn't make sense and will severely limit the amount contestants. I can fully understand and accept since AMD is the sponsor only AMD CPU's would be allowed that is fine. But they really should have taken a list of CPU's that can partake in it all at once. The winner should be chosen by the highest % of overclock when looking at the CPU's stock speeds. To prove that its stable it must survive a benchmark which would also be neat to see the benchmark results from stock to overclocked.

This in my opinion would not only provide a better contest but also let help AMD advertise themselves better than the current plan.(which is what they are really doing anyways) by showing a larger amount of their products.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
this contest actually makes sense for the Phenom 2's. i wonder if this is being done for the sake of drawing comparisons after both contests have been completed.

G

LOL@Astroglide1000

AMD, sponsoring an OC contest and then not allowing Intel CPUs, blasphemy!!! Obvious bias, companies shouldn't be holding social events to be promoting themselves.

As a side note: Somebody should come up with an open-source knock-off of SuperPi, since it's obviously such a simple application, and we should see if it still blatently favors Intel CPUs. My guess is that it would not, AMD has always had robust FPUs.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
i agree that setting rigs out outside of the "box"/case is a bit pointless...thats like saying your hunk of junk honda run's 10sec 1/4 miles with a 400 shot of nitrous on drag tires....who cares, it would never run that reliably on the road.... so it's a pointless stastic, just like most of these overclocks are.... it's ALL marketing.

Obviously this contest is sponsored by AMD. Considering it's one particular processor, it's an AMD chip, and they said the winner gets to hang out with Tom's and AMD.

Wonder if they'll do a Core i7 contest just to balance things out. ;)

Wonder what the prizes will be, considering the winner will obviously already have AMD's latest CPU chipset/motherboard. Perhaps a newer AMD/ATI video card?

bambihunter

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
There have been many very highly overclocked AMD rigs around the net. The one thing I wonder is will it go with some kind of benchmark score or by ultimate overclock percentage? I was able to overclock my Asus M2N32-SLI up to 3.4 ghz on air but it ran slower than my Asus Crosshair II Formula does at stock voltage on air or water.

ozzie82

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
geez i got 3d mark score of 65000 with my intel q6600 clocked at 10ghz each core thats 40ghz total!!!!!!!! i am god ! and i done all this without fans or any kinda cooling, hell i didnt even use a heatsink or thermal paste, just some sperm on the cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.