Tom's Hardware Benchmarks Inkjet Printer Paper!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

What software did you use to get those great graphs?

How about the "heat map" images?

Joe C

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I use a HP Photosmart (no, I'm not adding that to my tag-lines in the forums)that was before they switched to the CMYK cartridges and my pictures look drastically better than my graphic design school print shop. If you print off a CcMmYK and Photo K printer, the lights and midtones will be much better on thick gloss photo paper. The school print shop uses the Epson Commercial CMYK printers and they print too dark no matter what paper you feed them. I know about software coordination, but a 6 cartridge printer has a wider gamut offering than a 4. I noticed that Canon makes a printer with a distict Orange and Green cartridge. Wonder what the gamut range on that is?

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Why is benchmarking paper such a foreign concept to THG readers? You probably use printer paper every day (I do), so why not A) have a better understanding of how each brand takes to different print qualities, and B) know which pack of paper is the best bang for your buck? They all cost roughly the same, and most of these brands are available at the same stores (Staples, etc).

Even if this is slightly off Tom's beaten path, it's always better to be informed, no?

-Devin Connors, Tom's Guide

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]paper_eater[/nom]waiting for part 2,a no brand paper follow up would be nice.[/citation]

No brand = generic? Wouldn't Dynex paper (Best Buy brand) qualify as that?

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I would have liked to see how these papers scan. I don't OCR a lot of hard copy documents but I do a bit of drawing and printer paper is the usual medium. Getting it online to share means scanning, and I'd like to know which paper gives better results without 3 hours of tweaking TWAIN settings until my eyes bleed.

G

It is important to note that HP also produces two types of photo paper. The HP Premium and Premium Plus papers are optimized for dye-based inks which are used in Photosmart printers. Using these papers in an Officejet (which uses pigment-based ink) will produce unsatisfactory results, as the ink will sit on the surface of the page and smear.

If you have an Officejet, get the Everyday or Advanced photo paper, which are made to work with pigment inks.

G

I waste allot of printer paper because I click CTRL-P and then realize I hadn't put my name at the bottom or, sometimes, perhaps the entire letter at the top. So I try to make use of the printer paper I would have otherwise thrown away, in a manner that the manufacturer probably did not intend.

So is there any chance that your researchers could report on fecal absorbency, coarseness and pulp-ability in a regular 4.5L flush?

This could save me loads of suffering as well as improve the ratio of Dynarod call out's to Mexican take-a-ways.

Of course what benchmarks you would use is a matter for careful consideration. Suggestions welcome.

Oh yes, and what is the effect on the arse's of Labrador puppies?

pixelstuff

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
I would have liked to see inclusion of dedicated paper manufacturers such as Georgia Pacific which is sold here at our local Walmart.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Well, in that case, humidity will also affect the print. What was the ambient humidity for this test, I live in Denver, so I normally deal with 30% humidity, which helps dry the heavy layers of ink on my Photo Plus paper.

G

I can't seem to run my HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-One printer with anything but HP-branded paper. Everything else get jammed in the paper feed system. I wasted a lot of non-branded paper figuring this out.

And you can forget about reusing paper. Paper already printed on one side constantly jams the printer. I think the ink on one side causes the rollers to slip.

Periodically wiping the rollers helps and that needs to be done regularly, even with pristine HP-branded paper. Overall, I think the printer is incredibly temperamental.

Jean

Status
Not open for further replies.