Tom's Hardware Community Tutorials: Upgrading To Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPanda

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
MS leads me to believe I can perform the upgrade simply through the Windows Update process. Will it not work this way?

You can. Just skip the steps talking about inserting the media and replace with start windows update.

Side note: besides losing the built-in media center extension program, auto-updates... is there any reasons to not upgrade to Windows 10? Any extra craziness in the terms of service/ conditions?

I have Win7Pro so I can disable the auto-updates in case they break things; use third-party media center program. DX12 seems so enticing.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
In preparation for the windows 10 I have made a backup copy of my OS drive and kept in on separate drive just so if things go south I am ready to revert back, I would imagine everyone else is doing something similar

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Windows 10 is like Windows ME meets Windows 8.1. I am not sure what worse being unstable and buggy or UI itself. This is the worst Windows release ever. It looks like Windows Division is driven by people who did Windows ME and Windows 8 and actual Windows XP/7 team was fired. And then they appointed a joker of CEO who talks non sense.

galvinon

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I like windows 10 but my mic on my webcam no longer works :( it worked on windows 7/8.1 I hope they fix this soon

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
I like windows 10 but my mic on my webcam no longer works :( it worked on windows 7/8.1 I hope they fix this soon

to me that does not sound like a windows issues. That sound more like an issue with the manufacturer that you bought the mic from not having the proper drivers to get it to work with windows.

JohnnyComeL8ly

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015
Windows 10 is like Windows ME meets Windows 8.1. I am not sure what worse being unstable and buggy or UI itself. This is the worst Windows release ever. It looks like Windows Division is driven by people who did Windows ME and Windows 8 and actual Windows XP/7 team was fired. And then they appointed a joker of CEO who talks non sense.

There is something to be said for a clean interface... I think that the UI in Windows 10 is (overall) less distracting.

Does anyone know if on the 29th there will be some method for clean installation? I've been waiting a month to throw this SSD in, but I don't want to do multiple installs just to get to Win10 (Win8pro for the pro upgrade, then win10). Hopefully I can just download media, and enter my Win8 pro key :\

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

The guy that did windows 8 was fired because windows 8 was supposed to be windows 10 is. Been running it the last few months and haven't experienced anything negative. The minor changes to where things are located took less than a week to familiarize myself with. Its fine for daily tasks, just wait awhile before upgrading if you use it as a workstation to ensure compat.

iPanda

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015

unfortunately you have to use upgrade option first, then make a rescue/install disk or usb drive after that and then perform a clean installation.

Takasis007

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015

unfortunately you have to use upgrade option first, then make a rescue/install disk or usb drive after that and then perform a clean installation.

Good to know, thank you.

iPanda

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015

That invite showed up for me last week. Guessing a roll-out similar to OTAs. I wasn't an insider but now I'm good for the July 29th upgrade... #YMMV

TNT27

Distinguished
Just a question, when I update to win 10, can I have dual boot setup with win7/10, and my win 7 license remains valid, if i wanted to completely roll back to win7? Same goes for win8 to 10?

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
What i really have no clue is this.

What is cheaper? Having bought a win8.1 or 7 license from around and get the windows 10 for free or just wait and buy windows 10 straight away? Anyone has any info on this issue? For people who have still windows xp or linux or whatever .

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

dual boots always need to have a fresh install of windows. If you do an upgrade to windows 7 you can not keep windows 7 because during the upgrade windows 7 will be put into a folder called windows.old.

So, buy a fresh copy of windows 10, partition your HDD or SSD to the space you want and then install windows 10 to that part of the drive and you will have a dual boot windows.

The same goes for windows 8.1/10

caponewgp86

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I work in IT and more then likely its lack of funds for the proper upgrades and devices required to be more secure. Companies don't see IT security as a investment that will will a profit so they don't want to invest in it. They think it will not happen to them. Even where I work I would love to invest 100+k in new network security but convincing the people in charge that its important is another story.

buxxcador

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015
Before downgrading to Windows 10 read carefully the Microsoft Privacy Statement (google it), which is the new contract fro any Windows Service, including Windows 10.

It gives Microsoft the right to spy on you, including any personal data, the content of any file and document, your finances, any password you use, GPS location, fingerprints, keys of your encrypted drives, etc, and includes children.

It surveys you 24 hours trough a microphone, camera or any sensor.

It gives Microsoft any right to use it for profit, and share it with anybody.

It gives Microsoft the right to change any clause, so Microsoft gets unlimited contractual rights over you, your property and anything.

TripleHeinz

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
Will the upgrade to Win10 work with versions of Windows 7/8 obtained via DreamSpark? If it does, Will making a fresh installation of Windows 7 immediately upgrade to Win10 after running Windows Update for the first time or i have to patch Win7 to a certain level even if those patches are not useful to Win10?

10/10, love the paranoia.
I keep my computer locked in a faraday cage behind 6 alloy doors, so I can be safe and private while I have my facebook. Plus, while it may happen in the states, private use of data of that kind is strictly forbidden by Canadian statutes.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

10/10, love the paranoia.
I keep my computer locked in a faraday cage behind 6 alloy doors, so I can be safe and private while I have my facebook. Plus, while it may happen in the states, private use of data of that kind is strictly forbidden by Canadian statutes.

he may actually be right though, most tos contracts are extremely open and vague to try to cover themselves completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.