Tom's Hardware for iOS Updated as Universal App

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Just a side note for the editor, if it helps at all..

I have the app, but I want to be able to log in and comment from my iphone..And there are plenty of other improvements I could note, but its morning and I can't think yet :)

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
please get rid of the mobile site. it is annoying as it doesn't display the same info, it is not updated as quickly, it is rather difficult to find the comments or make comments.

Whats worst is that is it not compatible with browsers such as opera mini and opera mobile and skyfire and many others that engage in any form of external processing.

Whats worst is on these browsers, the site defaults to the mobile site and since many don't properly handle cookies, you cant use the full size.

For these browsers there is no benefit to using the mobile site on a browser that does the processing server side.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Agree with others about the:
1) Android App (which is what i thought was meant by it becoming universal)
2) The commenting and log in system (which the app doesn't have)

I was using the mobile site till now, didn't know about the app.

pereirdp

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Most of the android and ios tablets can handle tomshardware's desktop version. I hate seeing the site's stripped-down, bare-bones mobile version, which befits a 3.5'', on a full-fledged 10'' tablet. Sites which have a mobile version ought to proffer a desktop version alternative in order to obviate tedious user-agent switching.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
FYI, I have a BB Curve. To have any shot of realistically rendering Toms Hardware when I am on the go, I use m.tomshardware.com.

However, I don't use it very often, because I can't read the comments (the most useful part of TH IMHO).

Can you guys fix this? I don't need to be able to rate comments or even make new comments, but I think the feedback often has extremely insightful and useful information that I can't otherwise realistically access via my BB.

G

Great job on the hard work.

And, since these comments are becoming something of a wish list, could I add: The ability to zoom in and zoom out on both the iOS app and m.tomshardware.com website. Images are always really small and any text appearing on them is unreadable.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]MrBig55[/nom]I couldn't care less about apple users...[/citation]

What a coincidence! We couldn't care less about you.. ;P

But seriously, that's awesome.. I'm gonna have to get this on my iPad now. Although there are still some updates that definitely are greatly desired, such as updates for logging in, commenting, and seeing more than just the news stream. True, I read the news articles first, but everything else I have to struggle to access(via a mobile browser please-for-the-love-of-god-stop-loading-the-mobile-site battle.)

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Personally I'm a desktop user & will always stay that way for my main device,although maybe in the future I may try mobile midgets: but for now I'd rather not give my eyes a hard time.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Tom's Hardware is lazy. There's a 100% stable version of Android for tablets called Honeycomb. There's an equally stable Android version for phones called Gingerbread. Developing an app that runs on both platforms is easier than making a universal iOS app. Seriously? Tom's Hardware needs to get with the program.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I prefer mobile websites instead of downloading an 'app' for every website I visit frequently. I don't like Tom's mobile website because it doesn't have comments but still, making a proper mobile website seems like a much better way to support mobile devices than writing 'apps', especially if you couldn't even do one for Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.