Tom's Hardware Giveaway - Castle Crashers!

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
It’s November! For us Americans, that means two things are looming on the horizon:

1) There’s going to be a fat weekend with lots of turkey.
2) Family members will be visiting—with their kids.

Those kids can be a nightmare. They’re relatives so you have to love them, but why do they have to be so annoying for? Always running around, screaming, breaking our toys. Well, no more! This year, you will be prepared and we’re going to help!

Kids are usually easily amused and distracted, and Castle Crashers will keep them entertained and busy, instead of trashing your room and breaking your gadgets. We’ve got a whopping TEN (10!) copies to give away this week!

Want a chance to win a copy? Tell us about any family-friendly games you know of! Multiplayer ones are even better! Hopefully this will give everybody ideas about how to survive the onslaught of family gatherings and waves of kids who want to play with your computers!

Contest will run until 12 PM EST on Friday, November 6. That’s 12:00 noon. Winners will receive their prize as a Steam gift; a Steam account is required to receive and to play the game. One entry per user. Winners will be selected randomly from among eligible entries. Attempts to cheat the system will result in automatic disqualification.

Be sure to join our Steam group!

We’re actively looking for volunteers to write community reviews for games, so if you’re interested, please reach out to me for more details.

sulumordna

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

glez13

Reputable
May 19, 2015
The Lego Star Wars games were really fun especially in co-op, probably all Lego games are but I only played those. Also Mario Kart was so fun to play with my bro when we were kids, so that probably still works.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
from back in the day i had one of the few NES systems in the neighborhood and my house was always full of folks waiting for their turn. of all the fun we had the superstar wrestling gave us hours of fun. we had a whole string of championship belts and rankings to go with them. friday night title matches were a neighborhood event no one wanted to miss :D

and then tecmo bowl showed up....... man the days we spent playing that one....

more recently, the Wii gave us the 4 player super mario brothers remake that has been endless fun (and frustration) for local multiplayer. who needs a shooter when the world has 4 players trying to cooperate in mario's world on screen at once. throw in some booze and let the fun begin.

Scribblenauts Unlimited/Unmasked (for DC Comic fans) has it all imho. Be creative, learn typing or at least become familiar with a keyboard/mouse control. Create your own story in a way, solving issues.

IdahoNetworkGuru

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
Lego games (any). Mariokart. Mario Party. We also went through a Skylanders kick. Over the past 10 years that's what I've used with my kids. They like Minecraft, but I've never gotten into it.
When I was a kid, we would spend hours watching the storyline to FFIII unfold regardless of who was playing.

Sparktown

Honorable
Jan 28, 2015
Powerstone 2 or Super Smash Bros series - family friendly accessible 4-person competitive fighters with team-mode/co-op modes. Co-op games/modes are always a good option to have, since everybody wins (or loses together). This helps protect against crying fits from young children (or disinterest and broken controllers from adults).

anidinum

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
I find all Bomberman/Dyna Blaster clones very enjoyable. Last one I played was Bomberman Ultra on PS3. I played it with my brother and a friend. It's awesome. AFAIR you can play at least 6 players local multiplayer in this one (maybe it is 7 players). Try it! Love it!

PS. check Bomberman titles on Wikipedia to find the one you can play on your platform.

Vivacious Donut

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015
I must say, my favorite game to play was Super Smash Bros Brawl. I've heard people say it wasn't the best, but it was the only one I've played and me and my friends would play it for hours, and then ultimately yelling at each other my picking the "cheap" characters. It was the best!

Nachoman64

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
When I was 10, give or take, got a NES for christmas, around '89-90. My room was invaded by cousins and neighbors, everybody waiting in line to play one life of Super Mario Bros. When you died, it was the next one's turn to play. The lady from the store next door made a killing from all the soda & snacks. It was a very fun time.

poochiepiano

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
If I say the words "Asian party," a lot of you will instinctively think back to memories of Super Smash Bros. A lot of great times and glorious or embarrassing moments.

Also: Mario party 6. Much better for a variety of skill levels, so fun for everyone. Plus, it had 8-player (4 controllers split) so it was the best at giving everyone time to play. Was really disappointed that trend didn't continue.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Bloody Trapland would be perfect provided you have no quarrels about the blood and violence, but I mean hell I grew up playing Mortal Kombat so that wouldn't bother me a bit. It's a brilliant game lots of fun and it even has a level editor as well along with 3 different game modes to it with both online and LAN play options. It's also quite hilarious entertainment it can be down right funny challenging by design, but they found a way to makes you laugh at your own struggles and frustration.

KingDingDong

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
MK8 and Smash of course but there is one hidden gem out there on the WiiU eshop. Affordable Space Adventures. Unlike all the platformers that have my boys fighting like cats and dogs over who's item this is or follow Me, No Follow Me! This is a cooperative game with assigned roles like navigator or science officer or pilot. They must work as a team and there is no fighting. Peace:)

Zanderif

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
When I was younger, I had Island of Dr. Brain. It's an edutainment game, but the puzzles were very challenging for tykes like I. We would often have the siblings in, trying to help each other figure out the puzzles. It was pretty fun!

Ryguy64

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
New Super Mario Bros. Wii. My wife and I played it every night while she was pregnant. Good times. Mario kart 64 was another I played with my siblings and friends any chance I could get.

AioniosJay

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
oh wow family friendly side by side game play, i recall having one of my greatest moments was with Super Smash Bros. Just sitting down with friends being goofy and laughing about while we take each other on for bragging rights as the best smash bros player until the next time meet up and go at it again, I also had some awesome moments with halo as well.

redanirish

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

anything Mario brothers kept us going for hours at a time