Tom's Hardware Interviews Four Android And iOS Game Developers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]tramit[/nom]My interpretation of this article led me to one conclusion. A good chunk of developers are not going to code nice games for Windows 7 mobile. That is all.[/citation]

With Windows Phone 8 coming out and it supposed to get games developed for it, M$ probably doesn't have much to worry about there.

G

The consoles future is and always has been a dark one. It's a business model that shaves fne slivers of profit on the edges however the logic problem with this article is not the notion that mobile games are on the up (because they certainly are) it is the implication that they will replace both console and PC-centric gaming which currently is neither feasible nor realistic given present hardware/storage/processing/power consumption requirements.

It is quite obvious that a game on the go that must be disrupted at any point when the gamer is required to put it down is hardly going to be an experience of the depth that requires you to devote hours to. You aren't going to find eve on-line on a Nokia Lumia. However, tablet devices meet an interesting middle ground, and while they suffer the same shortcomings as their mobile phone counter parts, there is more chasis space to work with and that presents an opportunity for better performing hardware so long as the battery can keep up to make it useful when you are mobile.

The crunch is this, if you expect a current mobile device to deliver the same experience that requires the performance of a modern desktop computer to render, then you are kidding yourself. The marketting people should stick to their target market. If you are expecting a bit of fun on the go, then you will come to appreciate the increasing performance of modern mobile hardware the experience on these devices will be as shallow as the resources available. In short the phone is for travel, the computer and consoles are for your home and both have their place. This does not mean that a phone is anywhere near competing with a desktop computer or console or even a specced up laptop in terms of the experiences that can be delivered.

Given the current state of 3G coverage and the restrictions imposed on data access while roaming even the data usage experiences of these devices leaves a lot to be desired never mind the graphical performance. The experience is what is important, and I have never expected much from my mobile devices, from my iphone, to the iPad to the Lumia, and they never fail to deliver on my expectation.

G

Big surprise...mobile game developers think mobile gaming will compete with traditional consoles.

G

I am a "pc" gamer and i have ha a nintendo dsi and a sony psp, and now i do have an ipad. And honestly. I can easily see tablets replace the nintendo and sony portables with time. The 3ds and psvita havent exactly had a good launch. If theyre developers make the games also available in tablet form, sony and nintendo can safely say goodbye to mobile gaming unless they go the tablet route as well

James_Gross

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I don't think that mobile devices will overtake gaming consoles in near future because mobile devices have limited screen size while with the gaming console we can easily connect it to the monitors or a 3D TV. Still at this age I enjoy playing 3D games on LG cinema 3D TV.

G

IMHO, its not about playing games on smaller screens that will keep hardcore gamers away. I see mobile phones replacing consoles and high end desktop in few years. With one phone, you will be able to play games on around 4.5 " mobile screen or just connect it to a big screen to play hardcore. This model caters to both moible gamers as well as hardcore console gamers.

[citation][nom]blueyesdude[/nom]IMHO, its not about playing games on smaller screens that will keep hardcore gamers away. I see mobile phones replacing consoles and high end desktop in few years. With one phone, you will be able to play games on around 4.5 " mobile screen or just connect it to a big screen to play hardcore. This model caters to both moible gamers as well as hardcore console gamers.[/citation]

Phones will never be able to keep up with larger form factor consoles of comparably new technology in performance. Furthermore, there is absolutely no chance of high end desktops being replaced by phones. You can't even get more than a fraction of the CPU performance of a decent computer from five or six years ago and the form factors are completely different and cater to different uses. Only a few phone/tablet devices have caught the current far outdated consoles in graphics performance (still well behind in CPU performance), let alone modern hardware performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.