Tom's Hardware Italy Lands 3DMark Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Greg_77[/nom]i7 975? When did that come out?[/citation]
When Hell froze over, and pigs flew out of the gapping crevice that appeared yesterday.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]truehighroller[/nom]Yeah I think that the fact that it looks like they are using three ati cards in the pics is really funyy too.[/citation]

yeah wth? they broke the record with 2xgtx 295...but some of the pics shows ati cards... unless nvidia pulled a switcheroo

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]yeah wth? they broke the record with 2xgtx 295...but some of the pics shows ati cards... unless nvidia pulled a switcheroo[/citation]
Or unless those images are just examples of the sort of work Tom's Italy does.

But the top right corner image:
http://www.tomshardware.com/gallery/IMG_0071,0101-212198-0----jpg-.html

Shows 2 cards wrapped up for a cooling setup, which was probably the setup for the 3D mark score.

meatwad53186

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Thats weird that they got ahold of an i7 975 already. And for those of you thinking it's a typo, it's not. Check the CPU-Z pic in the first image on the page.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]When Hell froze over, and pigs flew out of the gapping crevice that appeared yesterday.[/citation]
It cost extra you pay them to rename one of their i7's

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I think it is dumb and that it defeats the purpose of having a hall of fame when only these certain select people get these special not released CPUs. If you gave THIS SETUP to me I would beat there score so who cares seriously. Bad PR IMO and I like TOMS so.. Yes I am jealous a little but, seriously, does this not defeat the purpose of the hall of fame?

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Overclocking doesn't destroy the CPU, or the GPU for that matter if you know what you are doing. To further delve in to the subject the only thing you need to know is to keep stuff cool and to not pump to many volts in to anything.

G

Very cool (no pun intended)... But...
It's not stable... Unless you consider stable a setup where you constantly need to keep a check on the level of liquid nitrogen...
I would be more enthusiast if this setup could run, say, 36 hours at 100% utilization without any assistance!

Also, the question "How long have you been overclocking" and the answer "since we were 14yo" is quite funny... Ehm, how old are those kids? :D

fooldog01

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
[citation][nom]fooldog01[/nom]I immediately noticed the pics show a tri SLI setup. I see I wasn't the only one. Whats that all about?[/citation]
Err, tri Crossfire.

erloas

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
Some places use . instead of , to denote thousands in numbers. In fact I think most places outside the US do. Which I'm sure is why it said 5.028MHz (although it is now edited to 5,028MHz)

Aside from the obvious photo snaffu, nice Benchmark/OC.

I'm curious why they chose to use 3x2GB RAM when they are using Vista 32bit? Or why not run 64bit. Would be interesting to see the score differences.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
actually if you look really closely you can see under the fan sitting on the video cards that it has the "radeon" sticker on it... hahaha... is toms getting paid to lie? discrepency number 2... they said two cards were used, this one has three...

Status
Not open for further replies.