Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lutfij

Titan
no sweat - alot of us have been through that *budget build* path in the beginning :)

... we're all just joking about that birds nest you have inside that case :p and there are some who'd go Battlefield on you for having such a look :lol:

@ nutmanmatt - cable management - its like you didn't even try, but that's ok. Everything is I assume confirmed working so you can invest the time now... oh the "im upgrading soon", yeah, I'm guilty of that one too, great reason to leave the cables as they are hehe... Ultra makes simple heat spreaders for ram sticks. I picked up black ones a long time ago. They use simple clips that are removable so its a really easy thing to paint if you wanted to give it a shot. Looking forward to the upgrades!

Just be careful about the cable management. It can become an obsession. First you just want to tuck em somewhere or just group them together so it looks organized without hiding them. Then you begin to obsess about hiding them. Then you wake up in the middle of the night with great ideas on where you can drill and cut holes out of your case. Then you decide seeing red / yellow / black / green wires is an eye sore and use some of that plastic open slit cable cover tubing stuff and a crapload of ties. After awhile, and some time later, you see a system that has some stuff single sleeved and heatshrink wrapped in coordinated colors. You decide to give it a try. Then you start taking power supplies apart and you are never the same again. Nobody around you will ever understand why you would spend days making a computer look "nice" instead of actually using it. Your family begins to worry... I think I made my point. Happy Computing! lol

nutmanmatt

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
@clonazepam

wow dint think cable management could get so serious :sweat:

Trust me i would love a bit of order in my case but i just dont know what to do with it lol i paid $45 for the case so it dosent have a ton of management options :/

Its so true. I'm really bad. I've been building computers for people for well over a decade and never gave 2 cents about the cables. Kudos to the marketing departments, flashy ads, youtube, and system galleries. It's spilled over into everyday stuff too though. I can't take a sip of my soda without making sure the top of the can lines up perfectly with the logo on the can cooly(sp?).

Anyway, its been really nice to catch up on this thread, I was about 8 pages behind. Luckily for me, I haven't picked up any new ideas for the two builds nearly finished, so they may actually get finalized and appear here soonish.

Lutfij

Titan
me too mate - going for an itx build for two people including myself.

@ nutmanmatt - according to rosewill's site of the challanger - you do - and a lot of them for a case of that price :)

and a lil somethin to look at - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rBNT7nzo5s

** more: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1633346

*** Ahem
IMG_7443.jpg

link

Lutfij

Titan
@ cloneazepam - mate , i noticed your sig, you've got a "K" APU. How's it working for you? i'd want to get the Zotac A75itx for myself as a net build but i'd want to drop in either one of my discrete cards in it later on - HD5770/HD6870 BE...would the APU be able to handle the GPU's?

@ nutmanmatt - i edited my post please have a look at it.

nutmanmatt

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
@lutfij

Hmmm the cords on my powersupply are really short and its giving me issues :( If i try to run them through the back they cant reach anywhere why are my cables so short :fou:

nutmanmatt

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
@malmental

-_- the gts 250 will be turning into a radeon 7770/7850 when they come out lol as for the fx that stays intill piledriver or if windows 8 increases performance like they say it will ill just keep it lol the fx was only $110 and i was short on money so i dicided to give it a go :p

Lutfij

Titan
@ nutmanmatt - major improvement than the initial stage. If you can pick up an 8pin EPS 12V cable extender - you could reach that power connector with the cable tucked away.

HANG ON A MIN! !! - your psu fan is facing up - i remember noticing your case having a fan vent for the psu at the bottom - so you can flip your psu and have some more cable length for that 8 pin connector. Honestly the more your try being creative - the cheaper it is on you. + all the cables from psu will then go through the back and out the cable routing areas.

a bag of zip/cable ties and you can fasten the cables to the cable hooks/mounts behind the mobo tray.

If you can mount the HDD to the lower most tray - you can hide the bundle of unused cables a lil more. Just make sure you don't try to short that HDD to submission :p

But by now you'll notice a 3~4' C temp drop cos of better airflow.

nutmanmatt

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
@lutfij

Hmmmm now ill have to flip my psu lol

oh and i do have a bag of zip ties.......well more work for me lol

gosh this cable stuff is allot of work :sweat:

Lutfij

Titan
give the case - 2 hours of your time and some fizzy pop will get you going. I mentioned pop so that you don't develop beer goggles and screw up the management :p

take a few looks and than maybe it'll be worthy of praise rather than critics. Zipties are your friends.

Vash0164

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
20120210-DSC_0299.jpg

20120210-DSC_0306.jpg

20120210-DSC_0319.jpg

Specs:

Case: Coolermaster Haf 932
Power Supply: Corsair TX750
Motherboard: AsRock Extreme 7 Gen 3
CPU: Intel i7 2600k Overclocked to 4.9 Ghz
Ram: 16 gig G. Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series
Graphic Cards: 2 x XFX 5870's
Hard Drives: 1 Terabyte 5400 - 1.5 Terabyte 7200
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120gb
Blu Ray: Asus Black
CPU Cooler: Rasa RS360 water cooling kit.

Max temp when running a game is about 54C

Lutfij

Titan
@ vash - nice build there, you might want to check out the water cooling forum gallery here on tom's and post there too.

Are you running the first fan mount - above the ODD passively? i think the fan exhaust is covered by the bulge atop the case.

*Edit - flip PSU, tidy cables. later change tubing to red. Replace Drivebay res to red LED. And you're set.
** Cablemanagement on your HAF 932 + Post # 37

Vash0164

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

The fan is at full speed. There are actually small vents built into the back of that front panel that allow the air to vent from there. I like having the psu mounted the way it is because it allows it to pull in hot air from the case and shoot it out the back opposed to pulling cool air from outside and then shooting that same cool air back out. I'm going for a blue and black theme, so the red front fan is going to get changed out to a blue one. The back cable management I like a lot, but yah the front can be changed when I get a modular power supply.

Vash0164

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

I was thinking about it, but I'm going to be switching to Nvidia in the future, so I'll pick up some evga cards that already have the waterblock on them.

Lutfij

Titan
@ vash - i see. actually if you know the principles of heat from physics in grade school - then you'll know that heat rises (doesn't settle). If your rads are set to push outside cold air into your case than the case actually has some heat being recycled. you'll notice higher mobo temps and higher gpu temps.

as rubix mentioned - pulling is a better option than pushing. as rad fans - pick up Scythe AP-15's great with static pres.

Vash0164

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

the 3 x 120 fans are set for a pull configuration. They are on top of the rad and facing up so that they pull heat that is getting displaced across the radiator, up and out of the case.

Lutfij

Titan
all the more reason to have the bottom psu facing the vent below :) and giving you the opportunity to tidy up cables. I know if moto was here you'd be court-marshaled.

:lol:

anyways your rig, your opinion, your choice and our critics. :)