Tom's Hardware Readers' Choice 2014: CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
CPUs serve as the heart and soul of your desktop. With a seemingly endless number of options, it's not always easy to pick the right one for your needs, but ultimately it boils down to a choice between two giants: will you back AMD, with their budget do-it-all options, or are you an Intel enthusiast, willing to shell out the big bucks for top of the line performance?

To see a complete listing of all of the Tom's Hardware Readers' Choice categories, as well as links to reviews we have done on some of these products, please click here.

Also visit our sister site, Tom's Guide! They are also running a Readers' Choice Awards with a focus on more consumer-oriented electronics. You can visit the page here.

Same, I don't want to bother with 3rd-party login.

Xeon E3-1231v3 : 4C/8T chip for the price of an i5
i3-4160 and i5-4460 : Cheapest Haswell refresh chips in their respective families.
X4 760K : Better memory controller than the 750K for only $5 more.

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
No love for the a8-7600? I get that it's not exactly an enthusiast part, but as a value offering it's excellent - I can't think of any comparable cpu + dGPU setup that will provide better performance for $100 (excluding rare, situational deals... not everyone has a Microcenter, y'know), especially with a 45W TDP in a form factor that works great for small boxes.

And the hate on the fx-7600p... I haven't got a clue. This part isn't even on the market as of today (as far as I know - if that changes, though, let me know!) - OEMs are taking their sweet time in getting some laptops with it out.

Am I missing something?

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

We can't realistically list every single item out there. The list was compiled from products that we have reviewed in the past year. If you think we missed something, something that you feel absolutely should be on that list, feel free to add it. That's why we've left that option available, after all.

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

They are on there - I'm just commenting on what people have voted so far.

summerlyra

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
I agree with you there, you need to pick a good CPU for your computer. It seems like you have a good investment at your work.

rambotrader

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
Whilst I cannot comment about either processor I would like to have a shot at AMD for the problems they recently caused me when I accepted their scan stating that their video card was compatible with my machine. It wasn't and it caused 2 days of nightmare trying to put the old ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 driver back.
After a number of fruitless attempts I ran Restore in Safe Mode and got the job done. So why is this not explained in the AMD website so that users do not have to go through such a process.

alsmith

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014

Like there wouldn't be any? The addition of the 'thumbs down' option guarantees it. And sends the hole ( ;) ) thing firmly into realms of meaninglessness.

Bilal Nagi

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Hey I'm not sure if I should be doing this but can anyone answer my upgrade threads because it really need some answers but no one in answering...

alsmith

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014

It's not really the place is it? But searching for your name doesn't really find much......

random5

Distinguished
Ha, I am amazed how an unlocked multiplier can change the outcome,it's just mindblowing.

Unlocked Pentium G3258 is firmly in 3rd place leaving behind almost every CPU,truly great value.
More expensive,locked G3460 almost guaranteed itself last place, can't imagine anyone picking it over the G3258 but still,seems a bit too brutal for it.

As for the downvotes.. people just downvote overpriced stuff they wouldn't use over their dead bodies so it is understandable why such terrible price/performance ratio CPUs like Pentium G2020,i3-4370,FX-9590 and the xeons which clearly weren't designed for consumers,therefore doesn't deserve an upvote and shouldn't even be listed here!

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
But downvoting the a8-7600? It's certainly not overpriced, and it has a fantastic value. And it's not an issue of "but people always like higher-end parts better than lower-end", since the G3258 is upvoted so much.

And mass-downvoting the fx-7600p? That part isn't even available yet! If you don't have any information, you should not vote on the part at all.

Hard to believe that the 8320 isn't on there. Seems to me it's the most commonly recommended of the FX CPUs considering it's the least expensive of the popular 8 cores but overclocks to similar speeds as the 8350 and 8370. The 6300 can't keep up with it on gaming or threaded applications and yet it performs every bit as well as both the higher binned chips. And the E model doesn't count. The 9590 is on there, but how many people do you actually know using this miniature sun? There's a lot more 8320 users than half those chips listed.

autumn_suns3t

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014

:) you're the first one I see who picked a Xeon E3 as I did (E3-1225 v3). I guess people just don't know about Xeons.. or they would want more.

Status
Not open for further replies.