Tom's Hardware Tries The Virtuix Omni VR Treadmill

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsdsds

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
in the video, I think he said "aim with your head.. wherever you look". why? why not aim with the gun?

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
in the video, I think he said "aim with your head.. wherever you look". why? why not aim with the gun?

The gun were were using is an off the shelf xbox light gun. its not attached to the game in any way in the setting we were in.
The CEO of the company told us that lighthouse trackers can be used (Virtuix is a Vive partner) to track guns but the CES show floor has too much going on for the tracking to work properly.
Aiming with your head works fine, but its not the only way it can be done.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

We definitely had fun recording the video content at CES this year.
The Omni, while fun to see, is something you need to experience to really appreciate. I wanted one before trying it. Now I'm trying to rationalize the cost of a Rift and Omni.... fitness equipment is usually expesive right?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Who's to say this can only be used in first-person shooters? A lot of people play fantasy and adventure games who would never LARP.

And consider that you could even use this for non-gaming applications, such as telepresence.

I think this holds fascinating potential for Battletech-style games, where instead of controlling a person-sized character, you could use it to control a giant mech.

Status
Not open for further replies.