Tom's Hardware Wants You!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Nevermind, I'm eating+reading+writing posts+phones ring like crazy today.. so I haven't read everything properly.. Tnx for a quick bunch of answers Chris. You can expect my "job application" as soon as I get home.

As for written samples and all that, well.. I guess I'll have to digg through my archives, but I guess that the point of working in VIDI/PCplay (www.vidi.hr / www.pcplay.hr), before I got a steady job, probably helps.

Oh, and another question about hardware. If we get an idea about writing something interesting but the hardware ain't available in our country (me => Croatia), I presume that we can pull the strings through Toms hardware to get the hardware from manufacturers directly. I'm asking cos I already have some ideas, and one in particular would require getting some cheap but localy unavailable hardware :/

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
well more than happy to proof read articles before they are published, as long as you don't mind lots of extra u's appearing when I'm finished.

As an idea for an article for someone to write, an in depth guide to liquid cooling, the various options out there, the types/costs of equipment available, things that can go wrong and how to prevent those things occurring. I suggest this as someone who is perfectly happy with using third party air cooling solutions but who is also interested in switching to liquid cooling but not sure what challenges it presents.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Part of me would be more than thrilled to contribute, but my personal hardware enthusiasm is far greater than bank account's :p. Moreover, I'm a French Canadian so I sometimes structure my phrases is some really weird way. However, I know a fare share about benchmarking, but mostly design and interpretation rather than execution itself ... I've done a reasonable amount as a software engineer.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Man, I wish I could. I just don't have the time. I've been thinking of starting this up on my own, but time.... sometimes I wish I had more.

LightWeightX

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
I hope you find some really good tech writers as the general feel of Tom's Hardware has gone down over the years. When TH first started out the articles, test methods, etc. had integrity and were well written. As TH grew, more authors and articles added to the site and everything was good. However with that latest iterations of the site, everything has taken a few steps down.

zuesacuatl

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I would be interested, but when it comes to hardware, if we can not get it, it would be nice to know if we have avenues to obtain it from other sources.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I would love to do this! If only I could write well. Furthermore, I would be horrified of the reviews the readers give, you guys are HARSH sometimes! Although I have to admit I can be critical at times as well…

shushikiary

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Pay is the big question for me, if I can do it in my free time when not at work, and they pay is good enough, hell yea I'll put side a few good hours a week to do it.

shushikiary

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Oh, besides the fact that I work for a hard drive manufacturer, my wife is a journalism major (so she can proof read everything I write! lol)

It's to bad my wife isn't as into computer hardware as I am. ;) She's a FANTASTIC writer. LOL If one could make an actual living doing it, I could consider it. But I doubt that would be the case. :) Sounds like it's probably more of a supplemental income than anything else (granted nobody has given numbers).

Would be kinda cool to see Tomshardware do PC Game Reviews, and then tie each game review into a Benchmark. So for instance, do a good review of a recently released title, and then give the benchmark results of that particular game with a pre-determined PC setup. Thereby telling people whether the game is any good, and then giving them a general idea of how the game will perform on their personal system. :)

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
If I only had more money for test beds... I'd love to do this and bring science to the table (having taken WAY too many courses in research design and statistics/analytics, research methods, etc.). Too bad, no matter how well I'm paid, I'm always short on time and money...

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Please answer some basic questions:

1) Will we be given hardware to test? No one is going to go out and spend more on stuff to test than they will make from the article.

2) About how much $$$ are you talking about? Are we talking about less than minimum wage, or what?

Thx

I'd be a little more interested if I honestly believed I had the time and the space in my house to devote to this. I am confident in my abilities to write, proofread and edit, but that isn't what's being sought here. I don't have the facilities or time for proper hardware benchmarking, and I *know* I don't want to to a half-ass job of that around here.

gsteacy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
[citation][nom]fudgeboy[/nom]shame theres no toms hardware in AUS! otherwise i would've gone for this one without a thought...[/citation]
I do news, not reviews, but I work for the US site even though I'm Aussie. We need more Aussies! :sol: This is one job where the imploding AUD is actually a good thing. ;)

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Thanks to everyone who sent in an email--I received a ton of correspondence and am working through them as quickly as possible. Please be patient--all email will be responded to! =)

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Me too.

Did I mention I have lots of spare PC parts? LMAO

Oh yeah. I even have an idea for an article already, and I don't remember seeing THG cover it.

I look forward to hearing back from you, Chris.

P.S. - I'm a lot more professional IRL than on here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS