Tom's Hardware's 2009 Gift Guide: Part 2, System Add-Ons

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
ok some troll went through all of our comments and by the way @presidentteody come on this is toms not fapfest 09 holiday edition! Leave the immaturity to the Apple fanboys!

nlcbryan

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
oh my..i think i've been living in a hole or something. When i saw how they described the ZuneHD functionality, im horror struck! All in the small thing? even 10hrs ?? wow im amazed..

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]gedoe_[/nom]+1 for using the same cute girl as last year (apparently your still together)[/citation]

Hehe, last year Alicia, my wife, was in the gift guide. This year it's Sarah, who has done these since, I think, like 2005?

Harby

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]The Lady Slayer[/nom]"PC Power & Cooling (now owned by OCZ) is likely the most respected name in PC power supplies."Only if you've never heard of Corsair.[/citation]

Actually, Corsair is better only if you've never heard of PCP&C. Unless you need modular bling crap that shoot lasers and whatnot.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
maybe im in the minority here but the girl just dosnt do that much for me. Dont get me wrong shes not ugly or anything but just not my cup of tea.

As for the zune description....very impressive :)

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I was going to add $0.02 and make some lurid comment about wanting Sarah to pose with my USB stick so I could take pictures and post on the interwebs but then I noticed something.

How many pictures did this poor girl have to pose for? By the end of the photoshoot did you at least get her drunk for her troubles?

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]The Lady Slayer[/nom]"PC Power & Cooling (now owned by OCZ) is likely the most respected name in PC power supplies."Only if you've never heard of Corsair.[/citation]

you're clearly a sad individual and dont know about real quality if you claim that Corsair is better than PC Power & cooling.

G

Actually, in the "low end" up to 850W Silencer series, Corsair and PC Power&Cooling uses the same parts look on reviews when they disassemble the PSUs both using Seasonic and Corsair is always cheaper so it is the way to go,I got a 850w 70amp/12v for the price of a 750 PC P&C and both offers 5 year of warranty. BUT if you want a 860w+ like the 1.2Kw PC Power&Cooling is the way to go(Better quality than the HX1000 from corsair) if you have the money. And the turbo cool series from PC P&C offers 7 years warranty.

G

I forgot to add the fan on the Corsairs vs PC P&C Silencer series, the corsairs 140mm which is much quieter than the Silencer series.The Turbo cool from pc p&c is 860w+

G

I frogot to add that I had both, the PC P&C was for my friend build nad I took the Corsair TX850

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
So really, how does the Netgear router stack up against an AirPort Extreme base station? I'd love to see how the 2 stack up against each other. I absolutely love My Airport...

Also kinda surprised to see a 3/5 bay NAS reccomended when a qNap 4 bay is rock solid and offers much more for not much different pricing ($500-ish). The qNap not only has more external ports, the drives are hot swap, dynamic RAID migration and resize support, not just media servers but IP Video camera support, and about a dozen more features including a much more powerful CPU, more RAM, iSCSI support, torrent clients, and more, and it's a Linux OS.

And $300 for a 1500VA UPS that only runs 3 minutes? TrippLite has 1500VAs that support 940w that have 7 and 8 minute full load run times for less than $50 more, and Tripplite is FAR better known in the power industry and back the units with better warranty. Most are also expandable. 3min is useless. Anything less than 10 minutes means I can't manually save out my work and safely shut down if I'm working on a large number of docs (which i often am) since i really want to wait 3 minutes to see if the power comes back on first before i START to shut down (same if it triggers auto-hibernate if I'm not around). I run 2 PCs and a server off my 2000AVR 1000w unit, plus all the wireless and powerline network gear. I'm drawing about 800w at load (but some of the equipment protected by it does not run off the bettery, like the 2nd and 3rd monitor on the desk, and ancillary parts and devices not necessary if the power's out) I have another 1500AV downstairs that keeps the router, VoIP device, and phone base station running for about a day without power.

G

""PC Power & Cooling (now owned by OCZ) is likely the most respected name in PC power supplies."

Only if you've never heard of _Seasonic_."

Fixed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.