Tom's Hardware's AMA With Cooler Master, In Its Entirety

Status
Not open for further replies.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I've always considered CM somewhat subpar on the quality scale but I think I need to reassess. I actually have quite a few CM parts and while none of them are super high quality, thinking back to how much I paid, they had excellent value (price to performance/quality). I need to try one of their more premium parts sometime and see how well their value scales.

JJ1217

Honorable

Yeah, CM aren't the best in terms of cases tbh. My first item from them, a HAF X, had a side panel that wouldn't even fit back onto it.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

I have an old 690 (original version) that I'm actually still using. I've modded the hell out of it but thinking back, I only paid ~$50 for it. The fact that it's supporting 2 watercooled gpus, a watercooled cpu and a triple rad is kind of amazing.
I would never buy a budget case again (cause modding is a lot of work lol) but I think this case has done quite well. It's still fairly robust despite losing quite a lot of metal to a dremel.

While you had problems with your haf X, a lot people have been very satisfied with it. I guess they sacrificed some QA for a cheaper price, lol.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Wait, what?
A. Just a quick tease: You will see Cooler Master products in your North American Apple Stores by the end of this quarter.
I have no words. I can't think of any CM products that would fit in an apple store...

slomo4sho

Distinguished
A taller HAF XB to incorporate a 3rd 3.5" bay would be a welcome addition to the lineup. Having compatibility with longer PSUs (above the currently 180mm limit) would also go a long way in supporting 3-way sli/crossfire builds since many of the 1000W+ gold/platinum rated PSUs are larger than 180mm.

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
"Q. Would you mind telling me which of your products would be best for a 4.5ghz 4770k overclock?

A. I'd recommend a CM V1000 80 plus gold power supply. You would have <1% voltage regulation, reliable output and extremely low ripple for better overclocks"

Definitely need a 1000w power supply to o/c a 4770k.

lp231

Splendid

When I asked, planning to open some retail shops? I mean a actual Cooler Master store, where we can go in and buy Cooler Master products. Not only case fans, cooler pads, and cases, but other things too like side panels, CPU brackets, and, other accessories.
To say there will be Cooler Master products at Apple stores is like asking Microsoft the same question and they're response by saying, we'll have our products at your nearest Best Buy or Walmart.

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
"Q. Would you mind telling me which of your products would be best for a 4.5ghz 4770k overclock?

A. I'd recommend a CM V1000 80 plus gold power supply. You would have <1% voltage regulation, reliable output and extremely low ripple for better overclocks"

Definitely need a 1000w power supply to o/c a 4770k.

lp231

Splendid

There are wireless fans, not real wireless, but it's close. Alienware has it in their systems.

toggler

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
too bad they were extremly vague about the mini-itx case,.. we know the 130 elite is coming.. so it's no surprise.. I would have just liked to know when

I don't play much on-line, and occasionally I don't even have the PC connected.
I do play FPS games, believe the PC is a superior product to the consoles, and am willing to pay for a fun game.
That I can play in single-player
Without having to connect on the internet.
If Crytek and the others go with the always online concept, as EA has with some of their titles, then I WILL give up the PC and gaming. There are other ways to combat piracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.