Tom's Hardware's AMA With Samsung, In Its Entirety

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonelyMan

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I hope that in 4 to 5 years when I'll build a new desktop, I can buy a high-end sata ssd of 1tb for 300 or less. And I hope that Amd will offer competition to Intel when it comes to processors. And that Titan will be out hopefully.

Technically, 3 bpc is just as multi-level as 2bpc. Strictly speaking, SLC probably should be called MLC - there are two different charge levels for each cell. You can't store any data without multiple options.

Some of their answers were somewhat evasive though...

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
at least, the guy explained the values of less enduring ssds but with capacity gains. he also reminded that desktop users rarely need more write endurance. a harddisk dies faster than a weak endurance ssd.
i haven't experience an ssd yet due to various mobile options keeping me busy nowadays but I would definitely get an ssd soon.

Movieman420

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Absolutely no info regarding aftermarket pci-e drives. Ok, so they are shipping such solutions with oem pcs...95% of enthusiasts wouldn't touch a pre-built PC with a 10ft pole. They keep talking about their pci-e drive for lappys and again, it's an oem thing...don't get me wrong, their new pci-e drive looks great but as a desktop enthusiast, it's not a reality. Will Samsung be launching a pci-e line of drives for after market use? If they will be sticking to the m.2 form factor, will there be pci-e adapters for our PCs? Also, will there be an EVO 'Pro" ssd launched? These are questions I would have asked if I could have been there.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
lp231, I'm just like you. I didn't see it at all. I love Samsung ;)! I kinda wish it was more than RAM and SSD talk, but I enjoyed reading this article. Thanks to Toms and the sponsors that participate in these "AMAs".

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
This is not what I expected. Some of those answers are barely connected to the question. This basically sums up Samsung. Top tier products but the consumer/customer relationship is non-existent. Based on my own experience with a half dozen Samsung SSDs, a dozen OCZ SSDs, and a half dozen Intel SSDs I wouldn't say any one of those are more or less reliable than the others. Samsung does have the weakest support by far so it is fitting that the apple doesn't fall far from the PR tree.

lp231

Splendid

Yep, Samsung doesn't just make ram and SSD, they make other products too. It would also be nice to know what else they do.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
seems like it was all storage subject, would have loved to hear a more variety of topics from a company like samsung otherwise it should have been "ama about our ssd's"

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Shame the SSD marketeer was dodging and dismissing the HDD questions. Spinpoint drives were my personal favorite. Just because someone can get a 250GB SSD, doesn't mean they don't want an HDD to go along with it. I've got 4 Spinpoint drives, 2 Western Digital Green drives, and 2 Seagate drives (all +/- 2TB) in my computer ATM (mainly because my other WD and Seagate drives died, but not my Samsung ones). Yes, we understand he's super-excited and thinks the world should be flash, but spinning rust has its place too.

Status
Not open for further replies.