Tom's Interviews Psystar President

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Its shenanigans but I'm glad someone actually did a interview and has story instead of the blogging gonecrazy around the rest of the web.

G

if the machine is fully capable to run MacOS, the company can just sell it as "white box" like many PCs, using words like "compatible" "capable" "fully functional with xxx" etc. For customers who buy these machines, it's up to their choice to install whatever OS for example Windows or Linux (in this case, MacOS retail pack?). Apple can't just sue someone who made a machine being "compatible", right?

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
I think Apple should be sued for monopolistic practices.
Why should I have to have an Apple-Labelled machine to run an os that is already compatible with x86 hardware?
This sounds like microsoft only the Jobs edition!
And Aplle putting propietary chips in their so called Apple-labelled machines is no different than the Microsoft scandal of yester year!
Come on Jobs get real! If your os is x86 compatible and people wanna buy it and install it than make it available for the mass markets and give Microsoft some much needed competition!
Cause if you don't someone out there one day will!

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Meh...

Psystar's screwed up every way from the middle. They violated x86.orgs' GPL, and by offering to pre-install OSX have now got apple's lawyers all over their ass. Anyone can visit x86.org and get the information they need to do this.... So what exactly is Psyster offering?

wymer100

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
While I would love for Apple to sell lower priced towers again, I don't think this is the way to go about it. Psystar is pissing too many people off. I would imagine there will be a nice injunction to stop selling these computers by the week. A few years back, another company tried to sell white box macs.

As for Apple being a monopoly, I don't see the mac hardware/software tie-in as being any different than with PS3 or Xbox.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Maybe Apple should see this as a wake up call and start making more affordable Mac tower desktops. If they sold an actual tower desktop for $600, I would actually consider picking one up and running OSX.

PDX57

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2004
The Gizmodo/Guardian reporting was crap. Like almost all reporting from the Mac community and their fanboys, the Guardian/Gizmodo article was just a FUD piece. They only checked with the Better Business Bureau and the Chamber of Commerce, which have nothing to do with registering or licensing businesses. The information on Psystar was where it should be, in the business registry, which Gizmodo/Guardian chose to omit to make Psystar look shady.

The fact is that Psystar looks like a small company with a great angle on selling computers, which didn't have the staff in place to handle the media frenzy that followed.

Good job Tom for doing better reporting than most of the rest of the media.

gxsolace

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
@n3dm, dude, rtfa. they r talking about psystar, not apple. how is the article bashing articl eif the editor wrote at the end it was written on apple laptop?

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
what's the big deal again? it can run mac os? that's not a major accomplishment if you ask me... I went to their web site, looked at the crap, it looks like a regular pc, it IS a regular pc, and you have an option of what os it comes with... just like you do any other time. I don't get the hype, it's no big deal. I think that they should get credit for offering Ubuntu as an option, not screwed over for offering macs os. Every other os can be offered... why not mac os? If they wanted to stay in their own little corner of the world they should not have started using intel procs. Idiots. Now consider the fact you can just go buy osx and put it on your pc for 130 bucks... what's the big deal? After having said all of that... paying further attention to this is pointless and depressing.

RomeoHotel1080p

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
To quote a Ratt like Jobs and Gates, "What comes around goes around". I really want eMachines to create an eMac and stir the pot even more. Gates probably started this stupid Mac Clone Wars and now we get to waste our time yapping about it.

pereira5375

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Who here would love to install Os X on a machine they built? I know I would, and kiss microsoft goodbye. I can't. Why? Because early on Jobs was greedy. Yes Jobs was greedy. Today everybody thinks of Gates as the greedy one but in the early days it was Jobs who was greedy. He didn't want to give any of the money to the hardware guys. He wanted it all for himself. He wanted total control. He thought that was the way to high market share. He was wrong. Gates had the correct business model. Sorry Mac diciples, I mean fans. That is the truth. Now Mac clings to 'quality' while insulting PC's and charging an absolute premium for their products. The cost of this of course is marketshare. Because the truth is while they are superior they aren't superior enough to justify the price premium. That is not me that is the market speaking. So the question is if they have a superior product why don't they release it for all harware manufacturers? I'd be first in line (and I'm not alone, It would be a long line) Hmmm. Let me think. They could release OS X for everybody and make gazillions but yet they don't. Why not? Simple - they can't. As much as they mock Microsoft they can't do what Microsoft does - that is make an OS that works with almost any hardware out there. So they can keep their expensive boxes until I can rationaly (rather than emotionaly) justify the huge premium for rather middle of the road performance and unability to tinker.

caskachan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Remeber when IBM was the PC? remember when having an IBM was the shis and clones where ebil?....

hmmmn.. i wonder.. if history coudl repeat itself now that Mac's have become so elitist ...i wonder.... ;]

omenowl

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Apple is a hardware vendor the same as Dell or HP. The only thing separating them from every other pc manufacturer is their operating system. The prices for their systems are fairly similar to equivalent systems. With the exception of the hard drive (which is a major flaw) the apple mac mini came out cheaper than the equivalent Inspiron 530s from dell (vista ultimate compared to leopard). The laptops were similar as well when I bought mine a little over a month ago.

Macpro=workstation (price out similar workstations not desktops). Equivalent price between roughly identical machines (dual 3gz quad core xeon 2 gig memory 800mhz, 320 gig hard drive, vista ultimate vs. leopard, identical video card 1.5GB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 5600, Dual Monitor DVI Capable). With 20 inch monitor (had to base on identical components as precision came with a monitor). Macpro 7297 dollars, Precision T7400 7273.

What apple, dell and hp do not try to do is entice the build it yourself people. They don't support hardware or software that you didn't buy from them. If you doubt me try to install a 3rd party card into the system and if it gives you trouble odds are they will tell you to remove it.

My only complaint about mac is most game developers do not support it.

whippeteer

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
A number of years ago Apple had licensed companies to produce clones. That lasted a very short time since due to pricing, the clones out sold Macs. Greed raised its head then and Apple has blocked use of its operating system since.

frosty97

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
Apple is by far one of the most retarded companies out there. I have long been a windows fan and its because the mac os only runs on macs. Why in the world would I purchase an OS that I have to ALSO purchase a proprietary system with???

I think apple has its own market and there are plenty of people that love it. I am not one of those people. If apple ever decided to open its os up I would be one of the first in line to purchase it. I want to be able to build my own system, configure it how I want it and know that I can upgrade it how and when I want it. With apple, dell, hp anything like that those options are taken away because they want you to purchase another new computer rather than upgrade.

Apple is so greedy because not only does this apply to them as well but they (imo) put out the same junk as dell and hp. Its all proprietary and to me that = junk.

The only saving grace to a mac truely is the crazy stable os.

Status
Not open for further replies.