Toms super cpu comparision

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

GOBBLE,

WM7 Does NOT show the 'TRUE' performance of the AthlonXP in the real world. But rather the performance of the chip in the ONLY APP ON THE FREAKIN PLANET that gets it all wrong. Unless you have other apps you can name in the real world that exhibit this behavior, you should bite your tongue. Here's my evidence for the REAL WORLD. Don't forget that TOM uses INTEL's RECOMPILED code for SpecViewPerf. Which is NOT REAL WORLD. Those apps are NOT recompiled themselves, only the benchmark shows the performance improvement. The exact OPPOSITE of the AMD situation. Where in the real world the apps DO SEE THE SSE ON AthlonXP. ONLY the app in sysmark 2000/2001 has a problem. Also don't forget BAPCO/MadOnion is owned by Intel. Despite whatever they say. INTEL originally registered/owned their DOMAIN NAME, they live on Intel land (free rent?, favored benchmarks anyone?..LOL)...once word got out Intel dumped any association with them, yet bias still shows in the benchmark (65% weighting for WM7 for one APP? that happens to screw AMD? used in webmark2001 and sysmark2001). Anyway here's my previous post at HARDOCP.

FOLLOW THIS DATA PEOPLE:http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1543&p=6
QUOTE: Enabling SSE gives the Athlon XP an incredible 18% increase in performance. This is a real world performance increase courtesy of SSE. [ internet content creation portion of Sysmark 2001]

Overall Sysmark from same Anandtech.com page
QUOTE:"The overall performance of the Athlon XP is improved by a little over 8% because we enabled SSE.

You can clearly see that enabling SSE paints a much brighter picture for the Athlon XP; arguably a much truer picture of its performance."
[did you guys get that much truer picture part? Note ONLY WME7(the problem app) can't see SSE unless patched, the rest of the SSE capable apps in here already id the SSE in athlonXP just fine if they are capable of SSE]

Note Intel (of course, and Intel's right hand Bapco) are ticked about this. Though Intel had no problem competely changing/recompiling code for SSE2 in SpecViewPerf.

Same Anandtech article few pages later about SpecViewPerf 6.1.2 DX-6 performance:
QUOTE:
"The Pentium 4 is much more competitive in this viewset but more importantly is the huge performance increase that is courtesy of the Palomino core enhancements. You can see that the Athlon 1.4GHz is clearly the worst performer in this benchmark, but the Palomino core enhancements give the Athlon XP 1.4GHz processor a 34% advantage over its older brother." [ While a bit (likely 2-10%, if old comments on AthlonMP in previous articles are correct) is coming from the TLB enhancements, most of the 34% is coming from SSE. Remember the comparison is same speed athlon vs athlon XP: You also see in benchmarks that don't use SSE athlon XP at same speed as Tbird 1.4 only nets a scant 2-10% or so...core enhancements other than SSE aren't worth the huge gains seen in some benchmarks ]

[ Nothing to do with SSE here, but I couldn't resist throwing in a quote from Techreport.com about "the internet is faster on P4" crap Kyle chants (webmark is awesom...HONEST...LOL) ]
QUOTE:Before the Intel fanboys start hooting, they should pause to consider Intel's own use of loopy marketing terms. NetBurst, anyone? That one is chosen to correspond with Intel's whole "makes the Internet go faster" line, which is a load of bunk. [That can be found here: http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2001q4/athlonxp/index.x?pg=4 ]

TechReport.coms Duron 1ghz (morgan with SSE) review, check out the SpecViewPerf scores of a 1ghz Duron regularly beating a larger cached Tbird 1ghz: SSE anyone (we know this benchmark is optimized for both SSE and SSE2?
http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2001q3/duron-1ghz/index.x?pg=7

Check out AcesHardware.com's piece about video2000 and SSE, when a MORGAN 1ghz (38.1) tramples a Tbird 1ghz (29.8) when encoding mpeg2 videos. Link: http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=45000210
Here's the QUOTE: "PCT reports that about 15% of of the instruction mix consists of MMX instructions. However, SSE-instructions are also reported as "MMX." If you take a look at a previous MPEG2-encoding benchmark , you will notice that a Pentium III 800 performs like an Athlon 1000. This indicates that many of those MMX instructions are, in fact, SSE instructions. The Morgan on the MSI KT266 Pro performed much better than on the ABIT KT7A because of the higher memory bandwidth (DDR), but more importantly, because the DVD2000 benchmark is SSE optimized." [More from same page] "Keeping Morgan's MPEG-2 performance in mind, we can easily predict that the upcoming desktop Palomino will take the top spot in such SSE (non SSE-2) optimized applications." [ LOOK Ma- No patch required for SSE! But, I'll find some way to turn it off...I don't want all that FREE PERFORMANCE]

Photoshop at VansHardware.com (Intel Benchmarketing 101 article : bapco includes HEAVY SSE, but EXCLUDES ANY 3DNOW): Note that nothing has to be done to get SSE in photoshop either! Uh, real world performance at work AGAIN.
QUOTE:"Despite its 200 MHz handicap, the 1.2 GHz Palomino easily defeated its faster clocked older brother. Although the Palomino also supports hardware prefetching, the performance difference is almost entirely due to SSE since the SysMark Photoshop test is relatively bandwidth insensitive as can be seen in this old chipset review.
Our results demonstrate that the 1.2 GHz Palomino has nearly a 30% better score than the 1.4 GHz Thunderbird in the SysMark 2000 Photoshop test.
Last year, this SSE advantage would belong solely to Intel's Pentium III. VansHardware.com LINK:
http://www.vanshardware.com/articles/2001/august/010814_Intel_SysMark/010814_Intel_SysMark.htm"

[SSE allows 200mhz slower AthlonMP 1.2 to SMOKE a Tbird 1.4!...did I mention you don't need a patch? It works in the real world ]

[Extremetech.com AthlonXP article (Loyd Case) MpegPro2 scores cut in half by 1.53XP over 1.4 Tbird! ] Quote: "MPPRO2 has been enhanced for SSE, and it seems that the Athlon XP with its new SSE capability, takes good advantage of those optimizations"
[ Well, it couldn't be that SSE crap working in the REAL WORLD again could it? Oh, and without a patch for gods sake! NO WAY!] LINK:http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,apn=11&s=1005&a=16008&app=9&ap=10,00.asp

[ Same article at extremetech.com about MusicMatch 6.1 with fullblown SSE! ]
QUOTE: "Again, the Athlon XP scores big over the Pentium 4, taking advantage of the SSE enhancements built into MusicMatch 6.1, cutting the P4's time by nearly half."
[ The 1.53XP scores well over 100% faster than the Tbird 1.4! I know, this SSE stuff doesn't work in the REAL WORLD right Kyle? Did I forget to mention it NEEDS NO PATCH? ]

Since I'm tired of this and I FULLY think my point was proven, I'll quit collecting data now. All we need to know now is why Kyle insists on attempting to DUPE his readers? I'm totally open to KYLE's RESPONSE HERE. No I don't want your Intel BS. Give me something that you can PROVE. Like SSE not working in a patched WME7 after your done benchmarking...LOL. Or a list of apps that won't work with AthlonXP's SSE. Do anything, but PROVE SOMETHING. I only see you telling people 'i stand by my bs, even if I can't prove any of it'. KYLE: "Giving people the wrong expectations of current software is simply wrong and I will stand my ground on this one." ....[I guess you better look beneath your feet KYLE. Your WALKING ON AIR pal. In order to "stand you ground" you actually have to have some GROUND to stand on don't you? ]

JOJIT: Is this enough data for you? I don't believe I have to KNOW a person [personally] to know that the data the person is putting forth is an outright LIE. Wait a minute. He had NO DATA. Also, since ID software never released the AMD K62 patch for Quake2 (AMD DID IT) why did everyone use it in benchmarks after it was released? Is it NOT enough that microsoft helped fix it? I actually believe this was a condition microsoft/amd agreed upon. Something to help SELL WinXP and AthlonXP together. AMD is marketing AthlonXP as the best thing since sliced bread with WinXP. Microsoft will make the patch incorporated into WinXP's WME (probably already did). Just a guess here.

However, NONE of my data above is GUESSING. The numbers DON'T LIE. SSE is used in the REAL WORLD on AthlonXP. As such, using the patch in WME7 is giving an ACCURATE representation of performance when using AthlonXP. I might think differently if it was some kind of BETA thing that wouldn't run on some PC's, or it could crash Win2K causing you to reformat (visions of Roxio Easy CD Platinum wiping out hard drives everywhere here..ROFL). However this is JUST an SSE switch for that which is ALREADY built into the software. Has NO changes to the code. It will crash NO PC. Harms nothing.

Any proof from KYLE would be great. I'd love to take back all I said. I really liked this site. Right now I'm rethinking this, as should all of you! I will retract all LIE words if Kyle can prove to us his RESPONSE to ENKAFAN was accurate.
ENKAFAN asked if the patch ONLY improves the benchmark. To which KYLE replied: Basically YES, at this time.

Blatant LIE. Which I proved MORE than adequately above. In order for him to be even remotely right (even just regarding Windows Media Encoder), SSE would have to die on Athlon as soon as you quit benchmarking. This is again, UNTRUE. The patch will work forever after you do it. Also it ONLY applies to the one APP [WME7] that happens to SKEW 2 benchmarks (webmark 2001, and Sysmark 2001) totally in Intel's favor. The rest of the REAL WORLD, ID's a CPU's SSE BIT, and NOT (like WME7) as the CPUID string. As they say: Proof is in the pudding. Wheres your proof KYLE?

Shibumi

PS:KYLE BANNED ME AFTER THIS BUT DIDN'T RESPOND TO THE DATA. Even said I could get sued for this...ROFL. For telling the truth? Is that a crime today? I digress.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
why are you AMD puppies crying over SSE now?, for months it was regarded as a cheat(can't find that wussy quote)

wow, the AXP uses 3dnow, 3dnow Pro, mmx, sse, did I forget one?

this is hilarious, now you guys get to wait and cry for apps that enable or not enable SSE for your precious AXP, I'm just dying here with laughter! ahahahahahaha ROTFLMAO!!!

another thing, I see all the pups searching for new mobo's and attachments that will allow the AXP to tell the mobo "I am burning, heeeeelp meeeeee!" LOL! I'm just taking this all in, thanks for the laugh pups, woof, woof!

you pups will prob try to get back at me with, "the AXP doesn't need thermal protection" and I say: so, then why is AMD doing those(stupid) videos and *trying* to protect cpus with a half-assed solution? what up? what? what?

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Man, write an encyclopedia next time...it would be shorter.

Well thought out argument...back to the peanut gallery...

<b>Dong! What did you do with grandpa's automobile? (slured)Automobile? - 16 Candles</b> :lol:

G

This article seemed just a bit biased to me towards AMD.

"Unlike the Intel processors, price increases linearly to performance, while the Pentium 4's bars show exponential leaps."

Since when is 7.8,8.14,9.55,12.38 linear??? Sure looks like the sme exponential progression as found in the intel chips to me.

"We've got our performance winner in this extensive CPU test - the AMD Athlon XP 1800+ tops the Intel Pentium 4/2000 in most of the applications benchmarks we selected."

I still show it as 10 Intel - 9 AMD. Even if you count it 9-10, I still wouldn't say "most". Try:

We've got our performance winner in this extensive CPU test - the AMD Athlon XP 1800+ tops the Intel Pentium 4/2000 in 9 out of 19 (47%) application benchmarks we selected.

I play ALOT of online RPG's. Ones that tax the heck out of most systems. I could care less how much faster the office applications run. I could use a P/200 for those, and be perfectly happy.

So I'm left with a choice... Intel or AMD. The 2-5% difference in speed, may very well make the difference to me between life and death. However, I know one thing for sure. A system crash will ALWAYS lead me to an unexpected death, costing me (and all my guildmates) a good hour of CR, and then a few more hours to regain the xp I had lost. And tom puts it very well:

"Another factor is the stability and product quality of a system: while all Athlon processors suffered from occasional instability in our tests, the Pentium 4 platform ran without a glitch. Reasons for this behaviour might not lie in the processor itself, but rather in the motherboard design and the chipset used. Future driver updates might not just improve performance but also stability of a platform. And of course, every user knows that the lightweight price tags on Athlon XP processors may have a downside compared to their more expensive Pentium 4 rivals."

That's the same experience I have with AMD every time I try to use them seriously.

For me, performance isn't king. It's stability. A 5000% improvement in speed means diddly if I crash once a week.

AMD solutions just are NOT stable. Period. I'm sure if you buy motherboard x, ram y, sound card z, and video card w, that you quite possibly get a stable system. But will it be stable when I buy viedo card w2 in 3 months? Or upgrade my scsi card? What happens when I plug in my usb mouse and keyboard? Sorry. Intel rules, always has, and still does. (*Note* the lacking always will...)

FatBurger

Illustrious
AMD solutions just are NOT stable. Period.
ROFL

I love how Meltdown doesn't even respond to me anymore. I guess he just got sick of being proved wrong :)

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
That's interesting you say performance is king. I happen to have several INTEL CPU based systems and all of them tend to crash at least several times each day. Usually every 2-3 hours when used moderately.

Stable?

I think not!

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

MadCat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">Click!</A>

I cringe when AMD biased people compare the Athlon A&B&C with the P4 (back in the old days). The feature set of the P4 is greater. But I feel SSE2 may be a marginal improvement over SSE (relative to an SSE less processor) so I feel ok with the AXP. My gut feeling is that the software developers will at least implement the SSE standard when SSE2 feature is not present.

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
*cough* Um... Motley. If you have such major stability problems with Athlon platforms, you must be buying the crappiest motherboards and components you possibly could and then installing the oldest drivers available.

I own a number of different Intel and AMD systems (well... only 2 AMD systems, the rest are all Intel), and I notice a similar pattern... all crash on a regular basis several times a month under Windows 9x, and all are almost perfectly stable under Win2k. Well, except the one PIII on an i810 mobo. That thing just plain sucks. I have a highly overclocked t-bird on a board with VIA's kt133 chipset (definately not a chipset beloved for stability, heh), and since upgrading to Win2k, it has crashed a grand total of 3 times. And one of those times was because I intentionally fragged my kernel ^_^

As far as the 'performance crown' goes, most reviews on the web I've seen show the XP 1800 winning 60 to 70 percent of benchmarks. The article here at THG shows the P4 in better light than every review I've seen elsewhere, but I think they also factored in price to the final conclusion - when it comes down to it, even after Intel's recent huge price cuts, the XP 1800 still costs only half of what the P4 2ghz does.

So to get to the point, or *a* point, don't get your panties in a bunch just because some reviewers who may or may not know what the hell they're doing in the first place say something you may or may not disagree with. :p

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky

mala

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Actually, theese are the exact words taken from Intel Pentium III optimization manual:

Example 3-2 Identification of Streaming SIMD Extensions with cpuid
... identify existence of cpuid instruction
... ; identify Intel Processor
mov eax, 1 ; request for feature flags
cpuid ; 0Fh, 0A2h cpuid instruction
test EDX, 002000000h; bit 25 in feature flags equal to 1
jnz Found

Intel suggests looking for intel processor before checking the SSE bit. This turned out to be a bad idea, but I think the reason for this is that every microprocessor manufacturer is free to use the cpuid-bits as they like, and that another processor might interpret the bits as somethnig else. Of course that would be quite stupid as that would be begging for incompability issues (lazy programmers not checking manufacturer before checking SSE-capabilities).

I think the Media Player Benchmark should not be used until bapco/microsoft/whoever releases a "fair" benchmark. Besides that, I fully agree with MichaelDaugherty.

/Markus

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Motley, the linear ness of the progession was perfectly clear, perhaps you should look up what he meant by saying linear.

The athlon IS STABLE, if it is set up properly, which any moron can do. If your athlon keeps crashing YOU, !YOU! have either a cheap crappy mobo, or drivers not properly installed. Windows9x is not stable for ANY platform!

All the others who have replied on the attacks on using bapco unpatched benchmarks have made the case clear and plain as day, so I dont need to comment on them aside from this.

If the benchmark had such a controversy as to warrant an aside explaining why they did or did not do something to make it fair, it SHOULD NOT BE USED! PERIOD. There are tons of benchmarks available to replace the one they had to leave out.

PS: toms benchmarks are always skewed towards intel when compared to EVERY OTHER TECH SITE. Something is rotten in the state of germany me thinks.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
This article seemed just a bit biased to me towards AMD.

After removing your opther quote as being wrong, this is the only biased quote you can claim, (the quote is true by the way but I wanted to leave you something to stand on), now take this single non biased quote you claim is biased, and compare it with all the quotes I listed in the first post. Now try and tell me with a straight face this review came off as AMD biased.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

G

Well, I don't really care whether the article was biased, but I do care that it was poorly written. I would have liked to see at least a basic analysis of the benchmark data. Take for instance the quote:

"At the low resolution of 640 x 480, the Pentium 4/2000 is in the lead, while the AMD Athlon XP 1800+, boosted by the enhanced Nvidia driver, takes the lead at the high resolution"

If the authors had bothered to look at their benchmark data they would have seen that this is simply not true. The charts show that the XP is faster than P4 in NV15Demo, regardless of resolution.

I also think that it would have been nice to know the exact nature of the "processor instability" (if anyone actually believes that a processor can be unstable and not the motherboard).

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I agree, the article was poorly written, thg has been going downhill for a while now, the articles get worse and worse, the forum is the only reason I dont just go to anand or some other site for my news.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

G

WOW. You must be the only guy guy that read it...hehe

amdmeltdown obviously didn't. The entire point was you DON'T HAVE TO DO A COTTON PICKING THING TO TURN ON SSE ON ATHLON XP.

Do you think he'll read this short one?

Thanks, (somebody had to do it..right? good thing I type 60wpm eh? LOL)

Shibumi

G

AMDMELTDOWN:

Actually, if you READ the post you'll see the whole point of that BOOK i wrote is to prove statements like you just made are BS. You don't have to do ANYTHING to turn on SSE in any other app than WM7. Or do you have some data to back up your statements? Come on, name something I have to turn on SSE in.....I'm waiting.

I'm sure EVERYBODY here agrees I gave PLENTY of data/resources to back up my statements. Don't bother to open your mouth if what your going to say is useless bs. PROVE WHAT YOU SAY IS TRUE. Just like I told KYLE at HARDOCP. His response was to ban me (I admit I nailed him 3 times like this). Without any data at all. Just banned with a blurb about how I shouldn't use his forums to defame him...LOL. He didn't argue with anything I said however.

I have no problem admitting I'm wrong...LOL. If you can PROVE IT. GOOD LUCK! You're going to need it.

Shibumi

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Replying to meltdowns comments only makees you look bad, just do the sensible thing and ignore him, he has never backed up his bs statements and everyone knows it, take an attack from him as a sign you are right. Thats what everyone else does.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
I think you have totally missed the point I was trying to make...

All I am saying is that Windows Media Encoder doesn't take advantage of Athlon XP, BUT that is no reason to exclude it from the benchmarks, because it represents the current (TRUE) situation at this point in time.

The average Joe using Win Media Encoder cannot get his hands on AMD's patch and is unlikely to alter the CPUID in the dll, therefore most Athlon XP's will not use SSE optimisations in Win Media Encoder !

I DON'T GIVE A DAMN about how Athlon XP performs in other SSE enabled apps since they take full advantage of Athlon XP SSE features.

The fact remains there is a bug in MICROSOFT's Windows Media Encoder (not BAPCO's Benchmarking Software) and it has to be fixed by Microsoft who in turn should tell BAPCO.

IF BAPCO refuse to update thier benchmark then YES you should have the right to rant and rave that Intel/BAPCO are being unfair to AMD, and am sure legal action will be taken.

The only quarrel I have with AMD is that they have taken the wrong approach with releasing thier own patch. I re-iterate Anandtechs point:

<font color=blue>"But, as a warning to AMD and any other manufacturer that finds themselves in a similar situation: work with the software developers to implement officially sanctioned patches; don't attempt to take benchmarking matters into your own hands.
...however in order for us to continue to use this workaround Microsoft must implement an officially sanctioned fix into Windows Media Encoder."</font color=blue>

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

G

(not meant as a specific answer to you Mat, just a general response)

How much time do you people spend discussing, benchmarking, reading reviews of dishwashers, washing machines, refrigurators and microwave ovens ? (overclocking anyone ?;-)

These are generalyy much more prone to failure ("stability"); performance, noise and cost differ much more from one product to another, and these machines will probably cost you about as much as decent pc upgrade.. WHy dont we discuss Miele versus AEG vs Samsung ??

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
"The average Joe using Win Media Encoder cannot get his hands on AMD's patch and is unlikely to alter the CPUID in the dll, therefore most Athlon XP's will not use SSE optimisations in Win Media Encoder !
I DON'T GIVE A DAMN about how Athlon XP performs in other SSE enabled apps since they take full advantage of Athlon XP SSE features."

You say potato..I say potahto (actually I say potato too, but anyways..

It all boils down to whether folks want benchmarks to demonstrate overall real world performance or specific performance in particular programs. Most people want to know general performance, or all around performance, not performance in one particular program. So, since WM7 is being used to represent the real world general performance in a range of areas, it does not reflect real world overall performance..only performance in the one program.

That's the issue...now have fun deciphering what I just typed!! (can we say I need coffee!!!???)

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I think the sysmark test is to show real world power, in ALL apps, not just the ones sys mark uses, so if one of the apps sys mark uses does not properly enable sse on the paolmino, the results will be either.
A: debated, as is done here
B: invalid

EITHER RESULT, means that the test should NOT HAVE BEEN RUN. Running the test knowing it was not fair, or that its fairness could EVEN BE QUESTIONED, was a [-peep-] up on the reviewers part.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

FatBurger

Illustrious
Replying to meltdowns comments only makees you look bad
Unless you're me. I can say something to him, and he'll ignore me, hoping I won't prove him wrong again.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>You don't have to do ANYTHING to turn on SSE in any other app than WM7

what are you crying about? wait 'til MS upgrades WM7 to include SSE <i>and</i> SSE2, LOL!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
so what? BAPCo will upgrade their software to identify SSE support on Athlons correctly by then.

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>