Tom's Teardown: SilverStone UC01 USB Power Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardvday

Honorable
Sep 23, 2017
Well if you cant recommend this one is there something similar you CAN recommend ?
btw these are interesting even if I don't understand some of your technical jargon I can get the gist of it.

Daniel Sauvageau

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014

If/when I find one, you'll read about it here. Currently, I'm still looking... and using my UC01, just being more cautious about shorting it out.

Daniel Sauvageau

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014
BTW, for the readers who asked how they may be able to contribute but may not want to deal with the logistics of having stuff shipped to me, here is an alternate idea: how about a wish list http://a.co/2aTBUHy ? Order stuff and let Amazon sort the rest out. Let me know if that's something of interest to you and would like me to add stuff to it.

Daniel Sauvageau

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014

Since the internals appear to be a CWT job, it is practically certain that CWT makes variants of it (if not the exact same just with different silkscreening and housing colors) for other vendors.

Daniel Sauvageau

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014

I have something similar to that in my pile which I bought on Black Friday last year, though mine uses an external 19V AC adapter. Guess I'll do that one next - I was already thinking about it before reading your post.

Daniel Sauvageau

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014

There are thousands of adapters out there and more are coming out all the time, one lifetime isn't enough to test a significant portion of all of them. At least not until I put together a fully automated test setup.

As for where to probe, I get my noise measurements from a separate wire pair directly at the USB connector so the amplitude doesn't get reduced by load current and wiring losses.

Daniel Sauvageau

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014
Roger, whoever you are on forums if you even have a forum account, thanks for the 18W/40W Anker and Aukey adapters!

@nings: I ran into some silly issues with testing my 10-ports charging station, currently weighing my options. I may end up postponing that project until I get some extra equipment to deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.