Too Good to be True? $140 Acer G246HLAbd

XC Runner

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Solution
They all cheat. Just go for something at a good price, with the size and resolution you want. If the reviews look good, go for it!

If you want a slightly more expensive monitor but with A LOT more positive reviews, sort the list like so: http://www.newegg.com/LCD-Monitors/SubCategory/ID-20?Order=RATING There should be something in there somewhere that fits your budget.

But that said, the monitor you are looking at sounds good, the reviews seem to be positive, and the price is the lowest of similar competitors.

XC Runner

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
I did read the reviews, but there were only 12. I also looked it up on Amazon and they had an LCD version, which I think might have been a typo. Anyway there were only about 12 more reviews there. Tigerdirect didn't have it.

XC Runner

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
When it says LED on newegg, does that just mean LED backlight?
Newegg Description:
Acer G246HLAbd Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LED Monitor 250 cd/m2 ACM 100,000,000:1 (1000:1)
But then in details it says LED backlight: yes

I guess I'm not completely sure what I'm talking about. Could you explain?

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
There are no LED displays on the market (which are remotely affordable), there are only LED backlit LCD displays and other types of backlit LCD displays, such as CCFL. The actual display is a LCD panel.

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
I guess I can also explain it this way: all flat displays today are LCD screens. They have a light inside that is either LED or CCFL.

When LCD displays first came out, they were backlit via CCFL type light sources. Today, the displays are LCD with LED backlights. To make people think they are getting newer technology, marketing people are cheating and calling the whole display LED. This is a total lie, but since there is no central authority to regulate this, they get away with it. Just like they can say 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio. This is a lie too, but they measure in a way that makes the numbers come out this way. Your screen is more like 10,000:1 at best. Or just like they can say the screen which really has a 20ms refesh time has a 2ms refresh time. It's all because they cheat at how they measure stuff. It's dumb, but it sells products.

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
And one more thing, generally speaking, if you see something advertised as LCD display it has a CCFL backlight. If you see something that is called a LED display, it is a LCD screen with an LED backlight.

XC Runner

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

This makes me kind of wary. Should I be concerned that the other specs of my monitor, which I liked so much, are also being cheated on and so I shouldn't trust them? Or are my expectations compared to other products which cheat equally and get worse results, meaning this monitor does actually have good specs?

fkr

Splendid
the only way to really know is to see it in person and play with it along side some other better monitors. nothing replaces seeing a monitor in person. I have an LG that looks better than my AOC but they have near identical specs.

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
They all cheat. Just go for something at a good price, with the size and resolution you want. If the reviews look good, go for it!

If you want a slightly more expensive monitor but with A LOT more positive reviews, sort the list like so: http://www.newegg.com/LCD-Monitors/SubCategory/ID-20?Order=RATING There should be something in there somewhere that fits your budget.

But that said, the monitor you are looking at sounds good, the reviews seem to be positive, and the price is the lowest of similar competitors.

Solution

chargeit

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Old post, but, I have this monitor on my back up gaming rig and the thing is great. I say it's a buy without a doubt if you find it cheap. I got mine for $130 shipped from Newegg... It's up on Newegg now for $289 which must be a joke. =D

Some people hate on them, but Acer has some really great prices on solid monitors.