Status
Not open for further replies.

i_am_first

Prominent
Jun 13, 2017
Hi

I've had some issues when gaming on my desktop. The problem is that when I game, after a few minutes the game crashes, black screen and sound loop. After doing some research I found that I am not alone with this. Reading other peoples description and the solutions they found it became apparent that there could be a lot of different reasons as to why the computer would go black screen and sound loop when gaming. After a loooong period of running diagnostics on all my components I could conclude that all my hardware was working as they should and I could rule out the possibility of hardware failure. However my PC still crashes when I play CS:GO, Playerunkown, The division, Overwatch etc. etc.

So what is the problem then??

Well, almost by coincidence I found that capping the FPS did the trick. Before I had my FPS at unlimited or capped at 260 which made my computer run wild. I found that capping my FPS at 60 or 30 (Depending on the game) would restrict my PC from crashing.

Oddly enough changing the graphics settings from high to low almost had no impact on whether or not my computer would crash, it seems to be determined by the FPS alone.

Now that I have come up with a way to contain the problem, how do I solve it? To my knowledge computers will find a stable FPS, not just go mayhem and pull FPS until it dies. I mean normally you would decide your graphics settings and then you would get as many FPS as your build would allow.

Ok, now to my actual question!

How do I assure that my computer doesn't just run wild?

Which component should I exchange if I want to have more FPS, the RAM? the GPU? the processor? or all of them?

Tech Specs:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500
GPU: ASUS Strix GTX960
PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM750x - 750W 135
RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair DDR4
Motherboard: ASUS H110M-A

As you can see I have a medium range computer which should be able to run for instance CSGO at 120+ FPS

TL;DR
My computer pulls FPS until it dies, wat 2 do?

I hope some of you can help me find a solution to this problem or help me understand the problem better.

Thanks!

Solution
Yep. Everything seems good. The only other really easy thing I could try to suggest is to give your cpu and gpu a more aggressive fan curve.

Sounds like the issue is with the gpu itself. Is it new? Do you have anything to adjust gpu clocvk and voltages? I know asus gpu tweak comes with that. Not a great program, but I use it since it came with my 270x.

If you are comfortable with it you could try increasing the gpu voltage slightly or lowering the clock slightly. The factory overclock may not be completely stable.

Biga101011

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
Could be a number of things, but I can start with a few simple ones. What temperature does your gpu hit before crashing? Could be overheating. If you see it getting really hot before the black screen try a more aggressive fan curve for the gpu or case.

Could also be a driver problem so just make sure you have the newest stable driver from nvidea.

If you are overclocking or your gpu came with a factory overclock, it could be that it isn't stable. Lowering the gpu core clock by 5 percent could fix it.

Another question is what is the refresh rate and resolution of your monitor and the type of cable you are using? A flaky cable can cause intermittent black outs, though I would not expect it to cause whay you are experiencing.

i_am_first

Prominent
Jun 13, 2017

Hi Biga,

I have been monitoring my temperatures of my hardware using Speccy, and it does not reveal anything unusual.
Regarding the driver fix, I have used all kinds of different drivers, making sure to uninstall them using DDU to make sure I made a clean install of AWOL drivers. I have had Nvidea and Asus customer support helping me determining if it was a hardware or driver issue. We came to the conclusion that it was neither. I've send my GPU back to the store and have them testing it to see if it was unstable, but they concluded that it was in perfect condition. I've also run different GPU Stress tests at home without getting closer to a conclusion.

I'm running a 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz Philips PHL 243V5 monitor.
I will try with a new monitor cable and then return to you. It would be nice if the solution was that simple (and cheap :ange: )
Thank you for your reply!

Biga101011

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
I am not really a fan of v sync, but since your monitor is limited to 60htz anyway (like mine) you could see if enabling solves the issue. Also for the cable if you are not already straight DVI to DVI would be best.

i_am_first

Prominent
Jun 13, 2017

OK, so I went out and bought a state of the art DVI-D to DVI-D cable. (I must admit that I used a VGA to VGA with a VGA to DVI-D converter connected to my PC.

I started PlayerUnkown's Battleground and Speccy to monitor my temps. Uncapped the fps for playerunkown and crossed my fingers. 5 minutes ingame and my PC crashes, 5 secs before it crashed I saw that the temperature for my CPU and Motherboard was in the orange/red at 65 Celsius. My room temp is approx 25 Celsius. However these temps do not seem to extream to cause a crash?

I'm using a CoolerMaster N200 cabinet with stock front and back fans

Edit: I cleaned my PC for dust and i rearranged my HDD and SSD to create a better airflow. I started up PlayerUnkown again and this time I played a full game, No Problem!

Its easy not to conclude that the improved airflow cooled down my computer enough that it prevented my components from overheating. However keeping a close eye on the temps reported by Speccy I do not see a drop in temperatures which leads me to believe that the problem is something else??

Biga101011

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
Yep. Everything seems good. The only other really easy thing I could try to suggest is to give your cpu and gpu a more aggressive fan curve.

Sounds like the issue is with the gpu itself. Is it new? Do you have anything to adjust gpu clocvk and voltages? I know asus gpu tweak comes with that. Not a great program, but I use it since it came with my 270x.

If you are comfortable with it you could try increasing the gpu voltage slightly or lowering the clock slightly. The factory overclock may not be completely stable.

Solution

i_am_first

Prominent
Jun 13, 2017

Hmm. I will try to play around with the GPU voltage and clock. The GPU is not new anymore, but it is definitely not old either.

Thank you for your time and effort, it is much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.