[SOLVED] Tool for changing USB Device display (Friendly) name in Device Manager?

Kenshiro70

Honorable
Aug 6, 2016
I've got a couple of gaming keyboards and mice on my machine, and identifying which is which in Device Manager is extremely irritating. If I look in Device Manager, all I see is multiple "HID Keyboard Device" and "HID-compliant mouse" entries.

I know there's a convoluted way to change the display name (aka Friendly name) via regedit. Is there an easier tool I could use? In a perfect world, you could export and import those names, since they get reset with the major updates.

Solution
Control Panel -> Devices and Printers shows mice and the Keyboards applet shows keyboards, but I don't see much difference between that and Device Manager. My Logitech keyboard and mice are correctly identified in both, so I guess it depends on whether Windows recognizes the brand you have. However I don't see anything in any of these places where you could change the name unfortunately.

ninja883

Commendable
May 17, 2018
Have you tried uninstalling those devices? Windows should reinstall them immediately and hopefully, display the right names. I had such an issue with my monitor and this did the trick.

Control Panel -> Devices and Printers shows mice and the Keyboards applet shows keyboards, but I don't see much difference between that and Device Manager. My Logitech keyboard and mice are correctly identified in both, so I guess it depends on whether Windows recognizes the brand you have. However I don't see anything in any of these places where you could change the name unfortunately.

Solution