Question Tools for cleaning a PC

Nov 26, 2023
What does everyone use to clean their PC? Compressed air / blower / computer vac? I've heard mixed opinions about all of these. What else do you use?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I personally use a cheap electric leaf blower for most of my cleaning. Every now and then I take the whole system down and wipe with cloth, soft brush, etc. as needed. I tend not to use compressed air for big cleaning jobs as the can gets cold and won't blow hard enough. Lots of down time.

I would warn not to use an air compressor unless it has water filtration.

Reactions: CountMike
I use this (or one like it) for cleaning: https://www.amazon.co.uk/WHATOOK-El...6cd3377a131a38b99c77e770bfba83e3&gad_source=1

I use this as a precision set of screw drivers (more so for laptops): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Homtronics...+driver+set+for+laptops&qid=1726583045&sr=8-6 - which helps for deep cleaning by dissasembling, like fans etc.

A bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol. Headband led lighting. Noctua cleaning wipes for getting gunk off chips : https://www.amazon.co.uk/noctua-NA-...b362bb11d19f37b8a917e572ae8312f5&gad_source=1

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would mention to be wary of the Fanttik and like drivers of that style. I purchased a Wowstick a couple of years ago on the suggestion of Paul and Kyle (Awesome Hardware) and it has basically been a paper weight. The bits break far too easily with no duplication in well used size and has so little power that you have to use it like a regular driver to break the screw loose then power. It doesn't last long enough to disassemble my Metis case panels.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I would mention to be wary of the Fanttik and like drivers of that style. I purchased a Wowstick a couple of years ago on the suggestion of Paul and Kyle (Awesome Hardware) and it has basically been a paper weight. The bits break far too easily with no duplication in well used size and has so little power that you have to use it like a regular driver to break the screw loose then power. It doesn't last long enough to disassemble my Metis case panels.
Yes, they are a precision set, mainly for laptops. Not enough torque for screws inside a desktop. Is it the same for the standard Fantiks cordless, which you might use on a desktop? Or is that the one you were referring to?

I guess there's a lot of these types of sets around. Choosing a good quality one is key.

Reactions: punkncat
My first line of defense is a washable front intake air filter.
I clean it when visibly dirty.

To clear out dust canned air will work, but it gets expensive and you go through cans quickly.
I use an electric hand blower.
Be careful to immobilize any fans while using.
Air flow can spin up a fan well past it's safe speed and damage it.

Last resort is alcohol and cloth wipes.

TeamRed2024

Great
Aug 12, 2024
I use an electric air blower with a brush on the end... got it from Best Buy for like $50. Works really well on both the filters and on the internals.

Ah, right. I'm quite happy with the one I got. It does what it says on the tin. I really only use it for laptop repair, and the set has enough torque to manage those small types of screws. For anything bigger though, it's like you said, you physically have to start it before using the device.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Screw drivers of choice for me. Plus a regular craftsmen #2 standard length full size driver.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Tool...726588830&sprefix=stanley+prec,aps,113&sr=8-1

I have filtered intakes and just manually clean things every six months or so. The filters are removed and slapped against a towel a few times. Usually give the fan blades a wipe down, bottom of chassis, backplate of GPU, etc. Q-Tips and blue shop towels, maybe a little alcohol. Most other surfaces tend to stay pretty clean.

Every major hardware change I more thoroughly clean, which is just getting into all the nooks and crannies I can.

Exterior cleaning I have become a fan of Windex and other glass cleaning solutions. Both for the side panels and exterior plastics and painted metals.

For tough problems, baking soda. But that is more reserved for dealing with seriously dirty older computer hardware. Cleaning up an empty CRT shell to turn into a cat bed sometime this week.