[SOLVED] Top half of display is randomly flashing black after mining ETH on my PC - did I really harm my card after a week?

Oct 28, 2021
So I've decided to put my PC to work while I'm out in classes and I've been letting an ETH miner run off of my 3080 (Non-LHR). Its a Zotac 3080 that I got almost a year ago, so not exactly the highest quality brand...

As the title said, I'm seeing random black flashes on the top half of my monitor after letting the miner run for roughly 12 hours a day for a week or so now. Temps are okay (I think), GPU core sits around 67C but the VRAM sits around 98C when mining. Even after a restart, making sure my displayport cable was nice and snug, and updating NVIDIA drivers, the problem still persists. It will happen whether my PC is mining at the time or not.

My display is a Gigabyte G32QC and the only related issues I can find with Google regarding that display are a different type of flickering.

Could I really have harmed my card from only a week of mining?

Solution
If the computer works fine apart from the momentary display issues, try a different monitor cable, monitor and GPU output just in case it may only be a flaky output/cable/input issue.

A good monitor can do 12h/day for a very long time. My current main monitor (Dell UltraSharp) is around 10 years old and has probably clocked over 80 000h. Mileage may vary with my previous two LG monitors failing after only 3-4 years.

InvalidError

Titan
If the computer works fine apart from the momentary display issues, try a different monitor cable, monitor and GPU output just in case it may only be a flaky output/cable/input issue.

A good monitor can do 12h/day for a very long time. My current main monitor (Dell UltraSharp) is around 10 years old and has probably clocked over 80 000h. Mileage may vary with my previous two LG monitors failing after only 3-4 years.

Solution
Oct 28, 2021

I feel like an idiot - I didn't even think of trying another cable...

Thank you, I'll give it a shot.

Reactions: RusstyB