Top Knotch intake fan?

Twinkielol

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2016
I have been trying to decide for days on a top knotch silent intake fan. I went with the Jetflo 120mm and it has the absolute WORST high pitched humming, I wanted to rip my ears off. I so far have enjoyed my sickleflow it is actually quiet minus the air it moves but not too loud of a hum.

But I'm wondering, are there any other fans out there that are quieter than the Sickleflows but keep around 60+cfm and decent static pressure? I just want a strong intake fan that is quiet. I'm tired of searching on my own I just don't know enough for this... I was looking at Noctuas but I am trying to keep an LED theme and they were rather "weak" fans as in it didn't have the cooling power I desired. On Newegg their best one was still weaker than the sickleflow.

Solution
I have not as yet run into a situation where I have seen any benefit from a high SP fan as a case fan. Is your case somehow highly restricted air flow wise ? The noicse you hear from the sickleflows comes from the cheap sleeve bearings. Some general guidelines:

-More fans at low speed is better than less fans at high speed (noise)
-It's about moving air volume (cfm), not air velocities or pressure.
-140mm is a better option than 120mm where you have the choice.
-High SP fans have very little use these days as high fpi radiators have all but disappeared
-Medium Pressure fans are generally utilized for heat sinks with close fin spacings and High SP remains in use on CLCs which need the high air flow / high rpm to get air thru the...

Twinkielol

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2016

I use the 430 elite, my old fans are garbo. The air sits and gets stagnant in my case, a new exhaust seems to have helped but I keep it in a desk tower cabinet which is bad but I have no where else to put it. I need to get some nicer air going through there. I'm replacing them regardless but I want the replacement to be worth the money. And quiet.

But I looked at my case a bit more and it turns out that I can fit a 140mm in the front. I might actually go noctua thinking about it in the past 5 minutes or so since my discovery.

I have not as yet run into a situation where I have seen any benefit from a high SP fan as a case fan. Is your case somehow highly restricted air flow wise ? The noicse you hear from the sickleflows comes from the cheap sleeve bearings. Some general guidelines:

-More fans at low speed is better than less fans at high speed (noise)
-It's about moving air volume (cfm), not air velocities or pressure.
-140mm is a better option than 120mm where you have the choice.
-High SP fans have very little use these days as high fpi radiators have all but disappeared
-Medium Pressure fans are generally utilized for heat sinks with close fin spacings and High SP remains in use on CLCs which need the high air flow / high rpm to get air thru the high fpi and poor heat conducting capabilities of the aluminum radiators
-The only thing in the PC world more misrepresented than fan specs is monitor specs (lag/response times). A fan may produce 1.5mm at 0 cfm and 90 cfm at 0 mm but that fan will be advertised as 90cfm @ 1.5 mm

Here's silentpcreviewe's top 24 fans

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1345-page7.html

Phanteks PH-F140HP/TS
Noctua NF-A14 FLX
Noctua NF-A15 PWM
Noiseblocker B12-2
Noctua NF-P14 FLX
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120-12
Noiseblocker M12-S1
Corsair AF120 Quiet
Corsair AF120 Performance
Thermalright TR-TY150
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120-14
Xigmatek XAF-F1453
Nexus Real Silent
Xigmatek XLF-F1453
Noiseblocker B12-PS
Corsair SP120 Quiet
be quiet! Silent Wings 2
Noiseblocker M12-S2
Antec TrueQuiet 120
Noiseblocker M12-P
GELID Wing 12
Antec TrueQuiet 120 Pro
Antec TwoCool 120
SilverStone AP123

We use the F140SPs as case fans and sometimes the F140MPs mounted on the back of the HD cage to blow air between multiple cards in SLI. LED options are available

F120MP Specs
Speed (RPM) = 500-1800 ± 250 rpm
Max Airflow = 53.3 CFM
Acoustical Noise = 25 dB (A)
Static Pressure = 1.72 mm H2O

F120SP Specs
Speed (RPM) = 1300 ± 250 rpm
Max Airflow = 54.4 CFM
Acoustical Noise = 24.2 dB (A)
Static Pressure = 1.29 mm H2O

F140MP Specs
Speed (RPM) = 500-1600 ± 250 rpm
Max Airflow = 68.1 CFM
Acoustical Noise = 17-25.3 dB (A)
Static Pressure = 1.62 mm H2O

F140SP Specs
Speed (RPM) = 1200 ± 250 rpm
Max Airflow = 82.1 CFM
Acoustical Noise = 19 dB (A)
Static Pressure = 1.33mm H2O

I have used over 100 SPs and perhaps a dozen or so MPs. The Modified Rifle Bearing is solid and out of all those fans I have only had one that made noise when installed in a horizontal position (only). Contacted Phanteks to send it back, they said to keep it (now installed vertically) and sent two more for my troubles.

http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/cooling/heatsinks/37419-phanteks-f140?showall=&start=3

As case fans, the 140SP and 140XP are very controlled, and able to move excellent amounts of air through the case. This would be expected given the specs, but what is not expected is how quietly they manage to do this. First off, there is no discernible mechanical noise from either iteration of the fan. The bearing is dead silent, and there is no ticking, buzz or hum often associated with PWM present in the 140XP. The other factor is the actual pitch of the fan, which is lower than most 140mm fans we have encountered. There is no whine or high pitches of any kind. This makes the 140SP and XP far less intrusive even at higher speeds. At lower speeds, the air movement is substantial, but even in the front intake position there is no real discernible noise until ~850rpm, and they never become distracting when pushed beyond that.

Use the 140s if ya can ... and not only did they top the Nocruas at SilentPCreview.,com, but here ya can see the Phanteks topping the Nocs by 3C while spinning 300 rpm slower

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenteks_f140/3.htm

From your last post, it would seem that the problem is not moving air in and out or the case but in and out of the cabinet ... replacing the back with a perforated grille or adding fans to the cabinet is highly recommended.

Solution